My Iron Man FOAM build (Mark IV)

IronManiac
I have a slight problem where by using velcro to keep parts of the suit together, the power of them is ripping the foam. Could that be due to not enough glue to hold? Did you encounter anything like this in your build? Any advice would be appreciated!

That did happen to me on occasion. My advice is to try using more glue..also try using more velcro. Like put multiple strips next to one another so they can share to gripping duties.

But also, you can't rely on velcro to hold pieces together that experience alot of torsion or stress. On my suit, i have a long velcro strip behind the spine to close the chest piece, a few strips that connect the stomach piece to the chest piece, and a few pieces that hold the wrap-around waist piece together (they actually are on elastic so my midsection can flex open and shut when i breathe.)

That's all the velcro i have on the suit. It works because none of the strips move around alot, they don't have to flex or twist, they're pretty static.

Where on your suit are you experiencing that problem?

You might want to try to build the handlights into the glove, then it's not that visible like it is now...
The suit is looking great though!

For a helmet from the UK, you might want to contact TMP, he builds the nicest suits and ships them from the UK...

I initially made a vest with some velcro down the side to make it easier getting in, using three strips of velcro. However that pulled to pieces and destroyed the vest.
I have made a bigger one now that is far easier to get in and out of but also doesn't look too bulky, however, I want to be able to use velcro to hold the stomach section to the chest, but I fear that this will create the same problem and destroy my suit.

My stomach section is two pieces. A waist piece that wraps around my mid section, it tucks into the vest at the top and the codpiece at the bottom. And an 'ab' piece that covers my stomach like a big plate. the waist piece is connected with two elastic straps that run across my stomach (behind the ab piece). The elastic allows me to breathe. The ab piece is connected at the top to the chest piece. i've got 3 pieces of velcro on the inside of the chest, one right below the hole for the arc reactor, and one on each side of the ab piece. That piece has very little movement, so it holds strong.

It's important to remember that your mobility will be limited the more you cover your body. I can turn at the waist, but not alot, so i pretty much have to turn at the hips to look around.

I should have, i kind of took a break from the costume and the RPF after i finished, i forgot to throw my photos in the ring.

This weekend i might get it back out and figure out how to keep the legs pulled up so they don't slide down while i walk.

If it helps.. I have a pair of suspender like strapping with buckle release that keeps cod up on me and on the cod I have buckles that connect each leg to the cod.. hidden by the circular bits and loose enough they still swing with my strides... works like a charm and keeps everything where it should be.

I should have, i kind of took a break from the costume and the RPF after i finished, i forgot to throw my photos in the ring.

This weekend i might get it back out and figure out how to keep the legs pulled up so they don't slide down while i walk.

Good, tip, thanks, J. I'll probably do the same thing, just attach it on the side at the hip pods. I bought a big roll of nylon strip and a bag of plastic buckles, should work like a charm.

IronManiac / Jordan

You guys are dedicated! My suit is literally beating the hell outta me! Lots of shouting and stressing when it aint going to plan!

Thanks, pr3dato8! :)

tom, have you made yourself a thread yet? what's going on that's so tough on you? Make a build thread and post up some pics, there are enough of us on here to give you tips that might make it easier on you.

Someone asked me how i did the boots. Here's a few pics and an explanation:

For clarity, I'll call the the foam piece the 'boot' and the shoe is the 'shoe'. :)

The 'boots' are actually just covers for a pair of shoes. i traced the sole of the shoe, then drew myself an outline around that template that would become the base of the foam boot. I made sure it was a very tight fit around the shoe, so it would stay in place just with tension.

Here's how it looks:

boot3.jpg

boot4.jpg

And the underside of the boot:

boot1.jpg

So once i put together the sole of the boot, the part that wraps around the sole of the shoe, i slid it onto the shoe and started to build up from there. i added facets of the boot, building around the shape of the shoe until i everything met at the mouth of the shoe. It was alot of measuring and rough templating to find the right shapes, but it worked out very well in the end and they stayed firmly in place the entire night i wore them. The tension fit on the shoe and the calf piece pressing down on them kept the boot covers snugly in place. I might add a piece of elastic to go under the shoe eventually, but it's not really needed.

boot2.jpg

boot5.jpg

Last edited:
IronManiac
Ask and you shall receive! I am currently taking some photo's and will start a thread tomorrow!
It's slow progress, I don't get masses of time to work on this, but I will post you the link when i've started it!

I just found your thread....I must say, this is amazing work! This type of foam would not be my first choice but the work and detail you put into it really paid off. AMAZING SUIT....nice job :D

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back