My Early Disasters pt 2 - A Biker Scout Helmet - How hard can it be?

Side by side comparisons...
WP_20160304_002.jpgWP_20160304_001.jpg

I don't imagine you need anyone to tell you that the new one is leagues ahead of the first effort, great work! I'll bet you're getting much more satisfaction working on the new one too?

Roughneckone:cool

I'll bet you're getting much more satisfaction working on the new one too?

The funny thing is, it's much more frustrating! The minor mis-matches, the places where one end of the piece fits but the other end comes up short... IN the first one I just shrugged and made up the difference with tape, assuming I'd done something wrong. Now I know I'm taking my time, cutting carefully and measuring as precisely as I can. I know I'm trying to glue things in neatly, and it's damn hard and fiddly! But just the fact I'm using cardstock and the thing is going together more carefully is a big improvement. It even looks a bit symmetrical!

Impatience is my major flaw, so this pace is killing me. Fortunately, I have the MK1 to play with in the meantime, and I'm beefing it up with more paper mache and loving it more and more as it gets more solid. Getting the furnace fixed was a great thing, because now it dries my paper mache in half the time.....

The Star Wars Day display at my library is on May 4th (obviously) and I'm pretty confident I'll have one of these ready for display by then. AND I'm getting my paid work done too.

It's another week where they keep wanting me to come in and actually do work, so I've only added a couple of pieces to the Mk2, and the Mk1 remains untouched. I put a fresh blade in my scalpel holder to cut out the latest pieces and it's a bit of a revelation... So much easier than scissors, though it's hell on my desk.
WP_20160308_003.jpgWP_20160308_002.jpg

Still lacking the precision of more practiced peppers, but it's a big improvement on the Mk1.

Hey D,

Where do these people get off actually expecting you to show up and do work as well, LOL!

Nice progress!

I find a new scalpel blade is a must for work like this! Or at least as long as it doesn't end up sticking in my fingers that is (yes it has happened).

Remember I said it was addictive? I was supposed to take half an hour yesterday and fit one more piece. I took two hours, and fitted five, I think. Choosing to try and put together one of the really tiny pieces was another object lesson. I have big, fat fingers. There must be other tools I'm not using, like tweezers or something... How do you guys hold those tiny pieces and make folds?
WP_20160310_001.jpg

WP_20160310_003.jpgWP_20160310_002.jpg

This weekend there's a Ringette tournament, then we're into Spring Break and I have to be Active Dad, so it looks like all work comes to a halt until April.

Of course, I say that, but then sneak off and cut out some more when I'm supposed to be doing something responsible.....

Just skip these small parts. They will be completely useless once you begin to harden the helmet!

Skip the ridges too. Again those details are better added afterwards .. That's way too detailed for the pepakura stage! Again you'll learn that as you go! :)

Now THAT's useful advice! Thanks Bigturc. I was wondering how the hardening/bondo covering would work with the recessed areas.....

Even though you don't have to do the details, keep track of the lines at all time. That will help the detailing later!

When it's putty time, go thin by section .. Don't go crazy and thick, you'll just sand forever!

Take the time to read pepakura thread for newbies too! :)

I find it interesting that, going slower and being more careful with the gluing, I'm still making errors. in fact, there are some big gaps appearing in the Mk2 that weren't there in the Mk1, which was bashed together in under a week. Sure, the cardstock makes the whole thing less flexible, and maybe I should quit being a baby and pull the damn edges together and glue 'em regardless, but... Well, this is going to make the front view wider, which it needs, judging from the Mk1.

Oh, the joys of Spring Break. Anyone else getting any work done?

WP_20160320_003.jpg
Ok. I think I'm as done with the pep as I'm going to be. It's not perfect, but it's better in many ways than the Mk1. Still haven't got the resin or the bondo, so all this goes on hold again (remember how I wasn't going to get anything done until April?) for a while. I really appreciate the helpful comments along the way, and I did go and read through the beginner's pep threads and wandered off through the internet and picked up other hints too.

I'm probably not going to do this exactly like everyone else, but the errors will be mine, not in the advice I was given. It's very unlikely I'll get as far as casting, which IS something I want to try, but may always remain just beyond my means, if not my skillset - my working budget for this kind of stuff is really non-existant. That's why Atlanthia's build was such a revelation: it was bargain-basement cost but a great result.

View attachment 606075
Ok. I think I'm as done with the pep as I'm going to be. It's not perfect, but it's better in many ways than the Mk1. Still haven't got the resin or the bondo, so all this goes on hold again (remember how I wasn't going to get anything done until April?) for a while. I really appreciate the helpful comments along the way, and I did go and read through the beginner's pep threads and wandered off through the internet and picked up other hints too.

I'm probably not going to do this exactly like everyone else, but the errors will be mine, not in the advice I was given. It's very unlikely I'll get as far as casting, which IS something I want to try, but may always remain just beyond my means, if not my skillset - my working budget for this kind of stuff is really non-existant. That's why Atlanthia's build was such a revelation: it was bargain-basement cost but a great result.

The FO Stormie bucket end result looks great, it would be a real shame if you can't progress it any further, because you are obviously improving with each build.

An alternate for pepakura which you might not have considered is a foam build, that way you get an end result that is wearable without all the resin/bondo/casting complexity. Also all you need are some EVA floor mats etc. which can be picked up pretty cheap!

Anyway Check out Heroes Workshop here:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULzK8seg-Lo&list=PLCOPUfMhXjM9e87_GKFU4C11X9la0HVRB

He is very helpful on the why's and wherefores of converting paper pep files into Foam build-able files and the construction techniques, plus he has downloadable foam pep files on his site.

Also check out Evil Ted at:-

https://www.youtube.com/user/evilted40

He's an absolute whizz when it comes to foam work.

Hope that is all of some help.

Roughneckone :cool

Anyway Check out Heroes Workshop here:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULzK8seg-Lo&list=PLCOPUfMhXjM9e87_GKFU4C11X9la0HVRB

He is very helpful on the why's and wherefores of converting paper pep files into Foam build-able files and the construction techniques, plus he has downloadable foam pep files on his site.

Also check out Evil Ted at:-

https://www.youtube.com/user/evilted40

He's an absolute whizz when it comes to foam work.

Hope that is all of some help.

Roughneckone :cool

Those are brilliant resources, thank you so much! Foam is a definite aim of mine - the next project on the list is "Handles", the Cyberman Head Companion to Matt Smith's Doctor. I already have regular PDO files for that, and was planning to make it in foam using old camping mats I have on hand. The Evil Ted videos will smooth out my process a great deal! You have been extremely encouraging, for which I thank you and my wife curses you. Hope your builds go well, now and in the future.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back