My Clockwork Orange

OzReturner

Sr Member
Hello fellow droogs!

This isn't really a replica of anything, but an "inspired by" build. Like many of you, I am a fan of A Clockwork Orange, both the Kubrick film and the original novel by Anthony Burgess. I tried to find anyone else who may have done this, but came up a bit short, as the best that I could find is what appears to be a photoshopped image of a clock mechanism in a real orange, which wasn't a realistic display option. Also, I could not find a clock mechanism that would be an appropriate "orange" size, the closest being a vintage alarm clock, which was much too big to fit inside.

mechanical-orange-isolated-260nw-40044406.jpg

So, my choice was to use an artificial orange I had around from a bag of fake fruit I had for some other project, an old clock winding key, and the faceplate/busted mechanism from a vintage pocket watch. I cut a larger-than-necessary circle out of the orange, and scooped out some of the Styrofoam filling so the clock could fit slightly inside, as though it were actually inside of it, not "growing" off of the outside. The clock was held in place and has a surrounding perimeter of orange-dyed clear resin, to give it a lively, juicy appearance. Hot glue holds the key into a drill hole, and the whole thing onto its little base.

20210325_175403.jpg20210325_175406.jpg

I wanted the contrast between a fresh, juicy orange and the weathered, battered clock and key to be present, since that is along the lines of why the novel and film are called A Clockwork Orange in the first place, the imposition of the cold and mechanical machine into a lively, wonderful, unique, natural wonders of the world.

I hope you all find it interesting, as it was a short-but-fun mini project I've had on my mind for some time now, and am happy to share it, hopefully inspiring someone to do something similar. If you do end up making something of the sort, please post a pic of yours, I would love to see it!

Not real pischa, you may vred your zoobys and yahzicks.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back