My C-3PO build!

2.5 days left till CVI! going to be some late nights!
got about 3/4 of the silver applied today.
Starting to look proper!

7826267466_d3785a28e2_z.jpg

7826278422_97bd339bc4_z.jpg

7826235518_70f61bf103_z.jpg

The finish is superb! But if I remember well, the alclad chrome is very fragile no?

Does it sitck on your helmet...or more on your hands?? (the main problem with alclad chrome paint).

Plus, impossible to varnish it.

I'm really curious because the helmet is splendid.

its flipping amazing looking

this is going to rock
well done.
I look forward to seeing the paint tutorial in the future,

cheers

Thanks! I've held the parts quite a bit with only one incident. I think I had something on my fingers, rubbing compound or something... and I suddenly got 3 nasty fingerprints that I'll have to retouch. Other than that no issues.

I've only tested on a tiny area but I did find that future floor polish actually coats the alclad really nicely without a noticeable loss in reflectivity. The stuff dries really smooth and handles lots of wear and tear.
After this weekend I'll do more testing and figure out the best way to apply it.

There are loads of small fixes to be made to the finish so as far as Celebration VI, It's going as-is, no external coating. Then I'll touch up any trouble areas and move on to adding gold and a protective coating.

I'll also be testing some high gloss automotive paints as soon as I can. I think the finish will be 10x more reflective than what I'm able to get now using cheap rattle can paint for a base coat.

Last edited:
Here are some photos from CVI, the first public appearance!

My crew for the first day out in the suit. Ended up being completely mobbed for photos and It was really helpful having all of these guys to watch out for me.
7869932910_9bbbdded1b_z.jpg

7868563542_2b5576f77a_b.jpg

7868576168_f2632bf21a_c.jpg

The awesomely talented Mr.Bartlett allowed me to tag along.
7868524386_0a60ac4961_c.jpg

I added weathering to knock back the reflections a bit and better match the ESB E-3PO in the previous post but it still photographed more reflective than I expected it to. Overall still really happy. Going to clean it all back up again next week and start converting the parts to gold!

This is excellent mate. Just so good. I really admire people who make 3PO's. From my short spell in the 501st I came to understand how tough these are to build and wear. Major kudos.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back