My Batman collection and cosplay

Herc du Laucain

Hello there!

I've wanted to post my bat-collection on here for a while, but didn't get around to... until now!

In our library/craft room I have a bookcase. On the bookcase I keep my curated collections. Or will some day when I have multiple curated collections. Currently only this shelf and the shelf above it (dedicated to my lovely fiancée) is what I'd call curated, and one other shelf (with Doctor Who props) is half-curated.

This shelf has props, other memorabilia and also most of my Batman comics. The action figure is a nostalgic piece for me, I've had this since childhood. The large picture of Batman is a gift I got last Christmas, where as the tin in front of it is what the watch came in. The watch is on display and not on my wrist because it's made for children and doesn't quite fit even my small-ish adult wrist. It also doesn't like finnish winters if memory serves correctly. That's unfortunate, but it's still a fun watch.

20230115_142335.jpg

On the shelf I have four major props (in addition the "BANG!" -flag and some "bio hazard" -baggies). Those props are the bat-credic-card (from Batman and Robin), a bat-grenade (original design), a batarang (original design), and a smoke capsule (from Batman 1989).

20220727_122124.jpg

The batarang is an original design, though the shape and colouring may seem familiar to you. The shape is based on Robert Pattinson's Batman's batarang, though mine is smaller and simpler. The colouring is based on Christian Bale's Batman. I also made my batarang collapsible so that it can fit inside my utility belt.

20220328_174510.jpg

The smoke capsule is supposed to be the one that Michael Keaton used inBatman (1989), though if you are familiar with that prop, you'll notice that mine is not exact in either the size or the shape. This is because I used parts I already had laying around to make this. I still think that it passes pretty well if you aren't super familiar with the actual prop.

20220727_121215.jpg

My utility belt is based on comics and the 1966 series. And while writing this I realized that it (as well as the whole costume) is based on the action figure above). The belt has two tubes, four pouches, a hook for my batrope, and it's also modular in the back. Currently the only modular part is a different pouch for my phone.

20220722_141153.jpg

Here you can see my batrope with another batarang. The pouches will eventually all have something that's either functional for cons or something to display. I'd like to have a detective kit in one pouch and some other kits in other pouches. In one of the tubes I have a cosplay repair kit. In one pouch I have...

20230115_143310.jpg

...a med kit. This is mostly for display but also slightly functional. The bat-syringe is purely a prop, the gauze technically could be used on wounds, but I personally wouldn't use this one. The tin of bat-pills is both a prop, but it's also functional because my bat-pills are allergy medicine.

20230115_143433.jpg

Here's my complete costume at Finncon 2022 last summer. I have more pictures of my batsuit in the batsuit show-off thread. My suit used to live on a dummy in the corner of our library, but as I need the dummy for another project (do I sense foreshadowing?), I've moved Batman into a box in the closet next to my other cosplays. But I have no doubt eventually the batsuit will move back.

20220709_162859.jpg

That's all for now. What do you think Batman has in his pouches?

Inspired by everyone making amazing displays for their Batman gadgets, I re-made a part of my display. Now the gadgets are more clearly on display, also leaving me with more room to expand my collection. Eventually the whole back wall will be full of gadgets with their own places cut into foam. The shelf itself is covered in this faux metal adhesive stuff I found, making it look more industrial.

20230410_113911 (2).jpg
20230410_111949 (2).jpg

Always fun to see functional pouches (y)

Never really been a fan of the pouches. From Day One (DETECTIVE COMICS # 27), Batman's utility belt had the cylinders, which were actually smoke pellets.

That evolved into the miniaturized tech (rebreathers, lasers, etc.) seen later on, but then Frank Miller went more militaristic and gritty in THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, and the pouches have come and gone ever since. But they're kind of a step backwards, in terms of tech and functionality.

Never really been a fan of the pouches. From Day One (DETECTIVE COMICS # 27), Batman's utility belt had the cylinders, which were actually smoke pellets.

That evolved into the miniaturized tech (rebreathers, lasers, etc.) seen later on, but then Frank Miller went more militaristic and gritty in THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, and the pouches have come and gone ever since. But they're kind of a step backwards, in terms of tech and functionality.

I can certainly see your point, but for me the pouches have been around long enough to become an intrinsic part of the character (as opposed to just some variant). And as for a step backwards in tech, sure, but a step back in functionality? Think about all the stuff we carry around in our pockets. Phone, wallet, signed photograph of Robert Wuhl, keys... everyday important objects that Batman has no realistic means of carrying with him using capsules alone.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back