My Apollo Program Omega Watch

While working on "From the Earth to the Moon", I was told that Omega, loaned the "Apollo 13" film production company, 4 Speedmasters from the original run of Apollo watches for filming. At the end of filming, the production company asked Omega, how much the watches cost, because they had been given as gifts to the 4 actors. Omega said they had to be returned, and they most defiantly were not for sale. The producers explained to Omega, the watches were already given, and they were not going to ask for them back, so ho much? I was told it was north of $500,000. That was in 1994/5 and that price would be a pretty good deal today. However, adjusted for inflation, that would be over $1,000,000 today.

I hope those watches made it back to Omega.

Omega could provide modern 321 replacements to the actors, but they need to go back...
Sorry, I was not clear. The actors were never asked for the watches back, production (or a producer) paid Omega.

That doesn’t make it right in my opinion.

Too often it falls to “the golden rule” and that’s not how it should be.

On the other hand, Omega should have known better, but I suspect they wanted to provide authentic pieces for the film.

1706993978027.jpeg
1706994017082.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back