MPC A-wing rebuild

Darth Penguin

Morning All
This is my first post on here. I found the site a few days ago and have loved reading the posts, so I thought I would contribute a thread of my own.
I made an MPC A wing many years ago (probably about 20!) and found it again recently. I realised how rubbish I and it were, so I decided to rebuild it. So here goes....

It started off looking pretty terrible, so i sanded down the old paint and rescribed the panel lines. I also used a 0.5mm drill to drill rivets on the body. A before and after shot should show you what I mean.

IMG_0001.JPG

I then rebuilt the seat using an old AH64 seat and some greeblies.

IMG_0008.JPGIMG_0006.JPG

I wanted to have some lights on the dash board thingy, so I used some optic fibre with a 5mm white LED as the source.
I tend to use aluminium tubing as a housing for this as it makes connections easier and if I mess up the soldering etc it means everything is removable. If anyone is wanting to use fibre optics, I recommend epoxy resin to hold things in place, super glue tends to melt the fibres.

IMG_0009.JPG

I used clear coloured paint to give the controls different colours of light out. Not sure how well that comes through on the pics, but here goes.

IMG_0029.JPGIMG_0030.JPG

My next step was to fix up the rear section. The original part was thick and messy, so I made a new one. I used sheet styrene and some of the original bits, then made new parts to detail it.

IMG_0011.JPGIMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

I was pretty pleased with the outcome of that.

I did a similar rebuild on the plate that holds the engines and the side cannons on, as well as the little gaps between the upper and lower body halves.

IMG_0022.JPGIMG_0024.JPG

The yellow lumps are epoxy putty. This gives a nice hard block to drill into for the cannon mounts. The rear of the new section looks like this.

IMG_0025.JPG

I worked on the cannons next. Using different diameters of brass and aluminium tubing and some old guitar string I rebuilt the cannons. They are not exactly a match for the originals, but then I must have lost them sometime over the last 20 years! So I made it up.
IMG_0016.JPGIMG_0017.JPGIMG_0027.JPG

I sorted out the wiring for the cockpit lights and also the ones for the engines (more on those later). The fuselage halves where then put together and I did the usual primer coat, pre shading and colour coats.

IMG_0031.JPGIMG_0035.JPGIMG_0037.JPGIMG_0038.JPG

I will post more when I have it done. Let me know what you think.

Nicely done! The MPC A-Wing polishes up really nice when you throw in a nice bit of modeling skill into the project. The results so far look excellent!

Done a bit more now. The engines were a mess. The ring at the back was far too large. I could not find anything suitable, so I made a new ring from spare brass sheet. Then added some styrene for the details. They took quite a while to make! Not perfect, but a lot better than what was there.

IMG_0041.JPGIMG_0042.JPGIMG_0044.JPGIMG_0045.JPG

This is great! Love seeing these fixer-upper builds. It's great to see how good the basic kits can look with a bit of skill and creative thinking added. Well done, keep the updates coming please too!!

Must be time for an update!
The build is almost finished. I only have the red colour on the engines left to do and then attach them to the main body.
Here is the rest of the build, looking pretty good I think.
Hopefully the engines will be painted and attached in the next couple of days.
IMG_0049.JPGIMG_0050.JPGIMG_0051.JPG

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back