Monogram USS Voyager, the "I don't know what I'm doing" build.

Back on topic, I just ordered 36 bucks worth of paint, so whenever that gets here I can start on repainting the secondary hull. I also got my new drill bits in, I think I'll have some time on Friday so hopefully I can finish the upper saucer windows then.

Sweet. I'm waiting on well, everything for Voyager and the lights for the PL refit. If you and Jimpeachey want, I can setup my own thread and post real pics of the after market stuff as it arrives. That way I won't have to keep bouncing between the two.

Btw, you using a dremel? If so what size bit are you using?

That's probably a good idea Southern OR, it would make it easier to follow your progress.

I'm using a Black & Decker rotary tool with a keyless chuck adapter just like you'd find on an ordinary drill, that way I can use any size bit I want.

I bought a micro drill bit index that came with a bunch of different sizes, I used them all as they all snapped after a little use, lol.

Thanks. I'll have to see if anyone has them around here. I'm still contemplating if I want to fully drill out the windows or drill a punch and exacto the rest. At any rate I'd at least want a hole to cut around.

I used 0.8mm drill bit and drilled top and bottom of the windows and used a scalpel (exacto) to finish them off. I originally started with a 1mm but but it was just a little too large. Create a thread for the build Southern, we can always learn from each and i have picked up so much information in the short time i have been on here. I think ill create a thread for every build from now on.

I love those metal decals on these models, I can't wait to do a Voyager myself like this!

On your comment about snapping drill bits, I have 2 suggestions.

1) I've found when using the very fine drill bits (1/64" etc) that putting them in a rotory tool hand piece puts less stress on them when working on fine details, it's a little more tedious and hard on the hands, but pays off in detail.

2) I also use a very fine rasp bit for my dremel in the hand piece, which actually drills and removes material much more evenly than a drill bit and works really well on small details like the window cutouts (this one bit was a godsend on my last warship model).

Just curious, how were you planning to light the necels? I've seen cathode ray kits and I wonder if they actually work better than the LED setups.

Good luck!

I'm under the impression all 3 of us are using LEDs but I could be wrong. I myself am waiting on a many, many, of Prewired LEDs (red, blue, green, bright white, and "soft") and I doubt my wife will even paint the nacelle grills.

Your rasp interests me, do you have a part number?

As for the etchings, I wasn't going order them until I had seen Ruddigger using them.

There are some fantastic tutorials on Youtube for lighting... my favorite is TrekWorks. He loves to use LED tape... On the 1:350 NX-01 he shows you how to solder it and everything... if you need to learn. :)

He's really cool guy, and if you ask him a question, he gets back to you fairly quickly. He has never ignored any of my comments.

Alrighty, got my paint in. I mixed up some light ghost grey and a touch of white and shot the secondary hull. When that dries I'll do the phaser strip in radome tan. I also started re-drilling out all the windows on the primary hull. I effing hate windows. Pictures to come later today.

Mine is on hold until after my holiday in Iceland. Can't wait to get back to it. New pictures to follow soon people.

Last edited:
Got a nice light grey basecoat down.
v54.JPG

Painted the phaser banks.
v55.JPG

And hand painted the deflector arrays.
v56.JPG

I'm working on the main deflector dish now, putting the orangey/coppery stripes on it. Pictures of that later.

I'm going to research the base colour a little more for the next one. I have seen some that are nearly white and they just don't look correct but finding the correct shade of grey is not easy.

That's the problem with studio models, studio lighting. I'm going with light grey and semi gloss finish. I like semi gloss and most of the accurate voyagers I've seen are some tone of light grey. lucky for me i have a Bandai version for compairison. The Furuta isn't much help since its white. I'm just happy Voyager doesn't have the Aztec scheme.

Besides I've seen your Voyager and your coloring is good anyways. Like any "metal" Voyager's hull changes with the lighting. I'd say that so long as it isn't CC white or Flat black you good. :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back