Mini farnsworth build

falloutboy

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, I spent this last weekend revisiting a project of mine that was on the back burner- a miniature Farnsworth communicator!

I used the technical drawings for the individual buttons, and the red indicator to recreate them as (quite accurate) 3d models,
then retooled my model of the faceplate, and finished my lense (based on my interpretation of the profile presented in the QMX replicas),
and printed them at moderate resolution on a resin SLA printer.

I still want to add the black push-button center for the right button, and may tweak the speaker grill- but, very satisfied on my progress!
The pieces are just lightly set in place at the moment.
I'm especially pleased that the red light indicators internal geometry gives it a look missing in the QMX version in my opinion?

I'll likely redo the black and brown button paint with an airbrush when I finish our move over the next few weeks.

I would love comments, critiques, etc. :)

20160926_221403.jpg

Last edited:
Re: A miniature Farnsworth build

Some more progress pics

Not sure what people think on it though?

20160928_003255.jpg20160928_002254.jpg20160928_002335.jpg

Attachments

• 20160926_221403.jpg
    20160926_221403.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 82

Update pic-(kinda a odd angle. Sigh) hoping to do some more work on the lense, Carbo carbochan and the right black button piece tonight/tomorrow depending on how you view your sleep scheule. Time permitting I'll get the side jacks in too

20160930_015336.jpg

Allllmost there.
20161007_021742.jpg

Just have to actually glue the foil to the bottom of the carbochan, drill holes on the case for the jacks, make a post for the brown knob and some snap in internal frame to keep the faceplate and lense in place. And give it a satin clear coat.
Very very happy with it so far.

Size comparison with my original kit face plate and Wheatley box
20161007_022826.jpg

Last edited:

Hmm. Also will try to print the buttons at full size- still missing a 'brown' knob.

Very nice, I want to do two, one for me, one for my son. I still need to finish up my full size one. Electronics and mount it, then maybe get around to ordering a second Wheatley box for my spare plate... That is the same size as a regular altoids or the larger altoids tin? What are the boxes dimensions, I have a project idea and haven;t snagged up a tin yet, but my idea would be a way to make a mini one actually work. The full size has the room, but the screen is tooooooo small. In the altoids tin it might actually work. Is your faceplate 3d printed or is it brass as well?

I built a mini one based on a Farnsworth but built into a cigarette case. I called it the "Philo".

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back