Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget **DONE!! FINAL PICS ON PAGE 4

Okay so i found out that if you want an anodized look on a non metal surface then there's some thing called VHT anodized base coat primer. Its also made by duplicolor. Another thing is that bondo is supposed to flex a little because cars have some flex too so I dont think you have to worry about it chipping and flaking

heres my new plan to make ridges.

1 sculpt ridges out of bondo
2 prime with VHT's anodized base coat
3 paint with duplicolor

thanks btw

Are you planning on coating the entire shield in Bondo and then carving the grooves out? I'm a little lost on the "sculpting" part. I would be very weary of the flex. The Bondo will be prone to cracking, just like Valor mentioned.

some variations of the shield had the red rings raised with a ridge rather than a grove but now I realize that if you rely want them that bad then just spend $400 on a machined one, plus I would be taking a huge risk not knowing whats going to happen. Tried making a fiberglass and pepakura shield but failed

its really not worth it :facepalm

Greetings, awesome work all, Especially Valor for starting and sharing this. I've been making some mods to my motorcycle lately and I had a flashback from the 70's of the old Captain America movie starring Reb Brown. His shield was mounted on the front of his bike and I would like to do the same.

I'm thinking from the comments in the forum that this might be a bit too flimsy to handle 70 mph winds. I was just curious as to your opinions if this would hold up as is, or if possibly keeping the outer edge attached would keep it much more sturdy. Plus keeping the outer redge attached would allow me to hide the braces and mounting hardware I'd need to use to keep it on.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers!

another thing is that was plain aluminum folded with the D rings?

Hey Matthew, I think you are talking about the T Nuts that are holding the harness to the brackets? It has a flat back that when mounted from the rear keeps the brackets flush to the shield. And yes, the D-clips have simple thin-gauge aluminum bent around then to create the end clips.

I saw somewhere, someone made a shield out of an MH sled. They're a little bit thicker than the Flexible Flyer, so you can make the grooves, but they're plastic, so they don't have the metal look in the end. Would there be a way to simulate the metal look?

I don't want to draw too much attention to the company, but it's been mentioned many times already in the various shield threads

I saw somewhere, someone made a shield out of an MH sled. They're a little bit thicker than the Flexible Flyer, so you can make the grooves, but they're plastic, so they don't have the metal look in the end. Would there be a way to simulate the metal look?
There is another thread in here that involves repainting the airsoft Capitan America shields to give them a metallic movie look. Check it out. It may be more cost and time effective to go that route rather than doing a build off a plastic sled.

Re: Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget

Hello Valor,
here I come again, sorry to bother.
I saw you guys discussing with what material to bond the brackets on the back of the shield, so why not rivet it all?
Can you please explain how you rivet the brackets, you make small hole on the back of the shield...?
Thanks

If you wanted to rivet the brackets on, the rivets would go all the way through to the front. Wouldn't look too great, would it?

um by the way i have some more questions

1 do the t-nuts come with the male end when you buy them
2 what is the thickness of aluminum used for the brackets
3 how where those eight slots on the smaller parts of the brackets cut for the straps
4 has it been confirmed that mounting tape will work

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back