MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

I did a video about taking the hovebaord apart...

Hi, Nagle (is that your name? :))!

I was pretending to talk with you to clarify some doubts that I have, because I'm pretending to preserve the original decals as you did in the video.

First of all, sorry my ignorance about it:

1. The thing that you used to peel away the decals off the hover board, was some kind of heat dryer?
  2. If yes, do you think if I choose to use a hair dryer in a hot option, it will also work to peel off the decals?
  3. And what's the kind of paper that I should use to keep the original decals with their stickness intacts?
And man, congratulations for your patience work and thanks a lot to take your time to make that video! :thumbsup

Regards!

I got three bubbles on top and managed to get rid of them. Gently pressed them down (making a hole wasn't necessary) and pressing them down with my fingers for a few moments thus gently heating them at 37 degrees celsius.

One of them popped up overnight a couple of nights in a row but stays down now. Maybe it had something to do with temperature as it was in my workshop first where it is quite chilly and it now resides at room temperature. On the other hand, it may pop up in a few days anyway, who knows. But I'm happy with it now and will savour the moments of flatness.

This must all sound idiotic but perhaps it will help in some sort of way if you decide to combat the bubbles yourself.

1. The thing that you used to peel away the decals off the hover board, was some kind of heat dryer?
  2. If yes, do you think if I choose to use a hair dryer in a hot option, it will also work to peel off the decals?
  3. And what's the kind of paper that I should use to keep the original decals with their stickness intacts?

I used a regular hairdryer when I removed the stickers. Worked pretty well, you'd just have to take it slower than you would with a Heat Gun.

Has anyone else in Australia had problems getting their Hoverboard order delivered? mine was supposedly shipped on 4th of Dec, but there is still no sign of it and now Mattty Collector has stopped replying to emails.

Just a heads up, board arrived today in Oz, so hopefully that's a good sign for anyone else down under (and other far flung locations!)...

Sent using Tapatalk

I did not see this, gees their shipping is useless. I enquired about mine, and the tracking url and number on the email they sent me, and they wrote back "The shipment does not have a tracking number associated with it." :facepalm
Why on earth wouldn't they have tracking?

I did not see this, gees their shipping is useless. I enquired about mine, and the tracking url and number on the email they sent me, and they wrote back "The shipment does not have a tracking number associated with it." :facepalm
Why on earth wouldn't they have tracking?

2 friends who live nearby hasn't rec'd theirs either. The lack of tracking details is crazy, so yeah, totally agree on the shipping being useless.....hopefully they all arrive soon!

Sent using Tapatalk

Although they claim that they don't have a tracking no., the papers of my hoverboard mentioned a tracking no., maybe it was only for internal use or possibly only for the U.S. but still, weak customer service.

Hey guys - I'm new to the RPF but I've been following all of the hoverboard experiences. I thought I'd share mine.
I ordered my board from mattycollector on Dec.29th and received it today (Jan. 11th) here in the USA.
I had made up my mind to get an upgrade kit after hearing feedback from everyone, but I have to say I'm really pleased with mine. No bubbles and the stickers seem to be straight. Maybe I got lucky. The velcro was a little bent out of shape from the packing but not that bad. I admit, it would look better with the furry strap. Maybe I'll just upgrade that. Now to get some Air Mags.
It never stops!!! haha

The lift on the decals is simple......cheap adhesive material, and the low temps will cause a lift. See it everyday in my work when people used or stick adheives that are cheap.

I am talking with you to clarify some doubts that I have, because I want to preserve the original decals as you did in the video.

2. If yes, do you think if I choose to use a hair dryer in a high heat setting, it will also work to peel off the decals?
  3. And what's the kind of paper that I should use to keep the original decals with their adhesive sticky-ness intact?
And man, congratulations for your patience work and thanks a lot to take your time to make that video! :thumbsup

1. I used a heat gun. specifically one for SMD soldering, but it works as any-other heatgun.

2. A nice hair-dryer should be able to heat enough area to loosen the adhesive. you would heat it in sections - right around the area to be peeled, moving toward the unpeeled part. you want to get the part you are peeling hot and up to temperature before you peal it off. watch the technique in the video
Mattel Hoverboard Teardown - YouTube

3. I used a type of freezer paper, you know like a wax paper for baking. put the decals on the smoother side. it usually preservers most to all adhesive on the decal (or whatever else). light heating may / should be used to pull the decals from the paper or optimal preservation.

Post Script: Is YouTube embedding disabled, or am i missing something?
and yes, my last / family / surname is Nagle.

I used a regular hairdryer when I removed the stickers. Worked pretty well, you'd just have to take it slower than you would with a Heat Gun.

1. I used a heat gun. specifically one for SMD soldering, but it works as any-other heatgun.

2. A nice hair-dryer should be able to heat enough area to loosen the adhesive. you would heat it in sections - right around the area to be peeled, moving toward the unpeeled part. you want to get the part you are peeling hot and up to temperature before you peal it off. watch the technique in the video
Mattel Hoverboard Teardown - YouTube

3. I used a type of freezer paper, you know like a wax paper for baking. put the decals on the smoother side. it usually preservers most to all adhesive on the decal (or whatever else). light heating may / should be used to pull the decals from the paper or optimal preservation.

Thanks, guys! I'll be trying that when I'll be able to change the decals!

Post Script: Is YouTube embedding disabled, or am i missing something?
and yes, my last / family / surname is Nagle.

Nagle, I didn't notice this about YouTube. I think is normal... :unsure

Thanks again!

Best Regards!

I just want to chime in here about the Velcro, seeing as I'm one of the few persons (only...?) with screen accurate stuff...

The green Velcro on the production made Hoverboard's is most definitely fluorescent/neon.

11068_1.jpg

Some neon can be MUCH brighter than others, just a warning.

The stuff I have looks exactly the same colour in person as the stuff in the above photo. I'm really happy with it.

If you're an Aussie, go to Spotlight... they have a whole section of the stuff.

Last edited:
I just want to chime in here about the Velcro, seeing as I'm one of the few persons (only...?) with screen accurate stuff...

The green Velcro on the production made Hoverboard's is most definitely fluorescent/neon.

11068_1.jpg

Some neon can be MUCH brighter than others, just a warning.

The stuff I have looks exactly the same colour in person as the stuff in the above photo. I'm really happy with it.

If you're an Aussie, go to Spotlight... they have a whole section of the stuff.

Just to add in that the Velcro is $10AUS for each pack of Velcro..... It's good stuff, I used it a few months ago on a scrapped Hoverboard I was working on

'Hoverboardgate' is the beginning of the end for matty. This thing is a serious piece of **** for the 140 dollar price tag and just a total PR trainwreck for them even though they've done nothing but dodge any accountability for their mistakes with this project. For me, this is truly the end. I used to buy some MOTUC figures back from '08 to '10. I had 2 GB subs that were handled really poorly, so I never re-subscribed. The PKE was cool, the trap was alright, but very toy/plastic looking. I knew the goggles they were making would be pieces of ****, so I made my own last year. I modded the hell out the trap to make it look like an actual prop, and less like a toy, I've done the same with this lousy hoverboard. Both look better than they did thanks to my work. I wouldn't buy another prop, or toy from Matty. They suck, and I want to see them crash and burn because they deserve to go out of business. They need to go out of business so that GOOD toy companies can produce toys/props from these licenses they now control. With their unreasonably high prices (and going higher), poor customer service, fan abuse, and with their lying ****bag of a spokesman Scott Neitlich, I don't think they will last too much longer.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back