Marvel's Agents of SHIELD - The Bus

I haven't been on here in awhile (Dealing with this whole HYDRA uprising you know) and just stumbled on this post and it is awesome! You guys are amazing!
Ever consider a career with SHIELD?
I am looking forward to the finished product!

If you saw what else I have going, you would be knocking on my door. ;)
Although, the original builder of the Bus on "your" desk... on the shelf behind you, rather, contacted me and has forwarded a link in another forum to the production team... so I may be working for SHIELD sooner or later.

It's a decent model, but could definitely use some refining. A lot of the details are a bit soft, but I enjoyed putting it together anyways
It looks ok from what I've seen of it online, but that nose section is what bothers me. It doesn't look sharp. But I see what you mean of the soft details. Nothing a little rebuilding couldn't solve.
Kevin that model looks so good but i'm sure tedz can modify it to be more accurate but first this model then the 1/72 "bus" ;)

one at a time? now where's the fun in that?? once done with my CNC router, it should help out a bit on some builds...

Okay, now *I* have the bug too. I ordered 3 c17 kits, because I am ham fisted and am sure to screw it up enough to need the 3rd kit. :)

I reached out to a friend who may know some of the VFX guys that worked on the Bus. I asked him to point them to this thread to see if they could provide any helpful details. I know I'm curious as to how much the fore and aft should be stretched out, and more engine detail, esp in hover mode.

New to these forums, but loving the work here!

Quest question for Teddz....why not build a power supply and arduino into the Shield and Hydra lighted pucks? That way you can program any of the logic you want without hardware...just have a USB port on the side. Touching the base boots the arduino.

So I'm imagining, USB for power, then a connector that will let you wire a ribbon cable to your model. Inside the model is the LED control board...like this:

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ShiftOut

Last edited:
One note on the engine intakes. They seem to be oblong or pinched on the sides in the series. Does the C-17 have a perfectly round intake?

maxresdefault.jpg

Hey, I think that is just the angle of the screen. because the engine on the far left seems flat, while the right seems vertical ( ? aha). Sorry im not very good at this. Yes! having knowledge from the guys who helped make the bus would be incredibly awesome. Did they make the desk model or the actual cgi bus used on show?

Okay, now *I* have the bug too. I ordered 3 c17 kits, because I am ham fisted and am sure to screw it up enough to need the 3rd kit. :)

I reached out to a friend who may know some of the VFX guys that worked on the Bus. I asked him to point them to this thread to see if they could provide any helpful details. I know I'm curious as to how much the fore and aft should be stretched out, and more engine detail, esp in hover mode.

New to these forums, but loving the work here!
Good luck man... I've tried to outline what I've done to convert it in here... if you run into any specific issue you don't see in here, let me know. If you're a master with working on such a small scale, then you may be able to pull off the engines in hover mode. I thought about it, but the engines are too small and the additional parts to make it look good are just too small for me to deal with. Someone else *I think* was planning on making a set of engines in hover...

Quest question for Teddz....why not build a power supply and arduino into the Shield and Hydra lighted pucks? That way you can program any of the logic you want without hardware...just have a USB port on the side. Touching the base boots the arduino.

So I'm imagining, USB for power, then a connector that will let you wire a ribbon cable to your model. Inside the model is the LED control board...like this:

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ShiftOut
There are a couple reasons an Arduino isn't inside. First and foremost, it was totally unnecessary. It's just a simple touch-on switch with a timed automatic shut off... no logic to program. The power supply was kept external because I was using a 12v external supply and my original logo measured 3.5" in diameter and only 1" thick. When you take into account the PCB, components and LED's, there was about an 1/8" clearance left before the LED's tops needed to be shaved down.

One note on the engine intakes. They seem to be oblong or pinched on the sides in the series. Does the C-17 have a perfectly round intake?

View attachment 400044
nah, you'll be fine... ;)

Hey, I think that is just the angle of the screen. because the engine on the far left seems flat, while the right seems vertical ( ? aha). Sorry im not very good at this. Yes! having knowledge from the guys who helped make the bus would be incredibly awesome. Did they make the desk model or the actual cgi bus used on show?

That shot shows the engines while they are transitioning from forward flight to vertical. The guy who built the models on Coulson's desk found me in another forum and already forwarded that thread to the Agents of SHIELD production team. Honestly, I didn't need any external info from EFX or the OG Bus builder. Just a bunch of screen shots and eyeballed the rest. FYI, the bus on Coulson's desk is somewhat based off the blueprint, so when compared to the screen aircraft, it's wrong.

i understand, what i am saying is that it would be interesting to see what these guys have to say. Yeah, the engines look perfectly circular. Your model looks brilliant teddz btw, that base is incredible

Thanks!! :D

My plan from the start was to leave people speechless, more specifically, the EFX guys and possibly the original Bus model builder. OG Bus builder was rendered speechless, now the production team and/or EFX. hahahahaha

Well I heard back from my friend about FuseFX. They are thrilled about the buzz here on the bus and love it. But they are also bound by an NDA the prevents them from discussing the bus (I suspect S.H.I.E.L.D. security protocols).

Guess we will have to reverse engineer it by ourselves. My kits arrived and I'm looking forward to starting soon.

Well I heard back from my friend about FuseFX. They are thrilled about the buzz here on the bus and love it. But they are also bound by an NDA the prevents them from discussing the bus (I suspect S.H.I.E.L.D. security protocols).

Guess we will have to reverse engineer it by ourselves. My kits arrived and I'm looking forward to starting soon.

Yea, figured they would be hush hush about it. Even Paul (original builder of the model) was tight lipped about his work. All I saw were a couple of pictures he has on his facebook page. No matter though, study screen shots (all from season 1) very carefully and you'll be able to identify corresponding details and figure out what you need to cut, and how much of a stretch is needed.

Good luck man... can't wait to see someone else start to post their work on the Bus in here... it's been kinda one-sided.

Ya...time to load up iTunes and screencap a bunch of HD shots!

Gotta figure out lighting next. Don't suppose you're ready to sell your circuit boards yet?

Ya...time to load up iTunes and screencap a bunch of HD shots!

Gotta figure out lighting next. Don't suppose you're ready to sell your circuit boards yet?

I've already sold a couple of the LED circuit boards for the fiber optic lighting. I should have a spare board around somewhere I made from the blue FR4 PCB material I picked up for the SHIELD Server Targeting Blades from Captain America. The material was unusable for that project, so for a time, my PCB's will be mostly blue.

Anybody thought about using a 3D printer for some of these smaller parts, or the SUV and Corvette?
That's just cheating. hahaha

Thought about it, but figured I would just go old school and use styrene strips.

So I take it you're planning on an open cargo door?

Holy crap Teddz! Your custom model is INCREDIBLE. I was trawling the internet looking for a plastic model for the Bus, and seeing this makes me really want to do one myself! However, I'm only 15 and still at school, so I'm kinda low on time and resources :/ If you were thinking about selling them, then you'd have your first customer! One to think about, it would be really good if someone could make a conversion kit that comes with everything you need to make a C-17 Globemaster III kit into the Bus! That would be a lot easier for the likes of me :) Can't wait to see it when it's done!!

Holy crap Teddz! Your custom model is INCREDIBLE. I was trawling the internet looking for a plastic model for the Bus, and seeing this makes me really want to do one myself! However, I'm only 15 and still at school, so I'm kinda low on time and resources :/ If you were thinking about selling them, then you'd have your first customer! One to think about, it would be really good if someone could make a conversion kit that comes with everything you need to make a C-17 Globemaster III kit into the Bus! That would be a lot easier for the likes of me :) Can't wait to see it when it's done!!

Wait for a couple more months he's also making a 1/72 model kit ;)

Thanks for your kind words...

As for a conversion kit, other than a couple of bits of styrene here and there and the electronics, it's just 2 C-17 kits bashed together... nothing more really. The engines were a bit of a pain only because I had to stop drinking coffee to keep my hands from shaking while I made the details for them. I could have made one and cast the rest, but where's the fun in that?

Honestly, you don't need a lot of time or resources. Just patients and live by the mantra: measure twice, cut once. All other 'resources' are pretty standard for anyone who's built a plastic model and as many screen caps you can get.

If you ever decide to tackle building the Bus, besides this thread, feel free to contact me with any specific questions you may have.

- - - Updated - - -

in a couple months I'll probably start the 1/72 Bus... it's going to be a minute before it's done and ready. But, it's going to be bananas this much I do know.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back