Major Matt Mason Astronaut costume

And the helmet is finally done, too!

-Limit-strips added so visor can be only pushed to vertical, not past vertical
-Styrene friction strips added to prevent visor from falling from vertical to the closed (faceplate down) -- now it WILL stay up or down!
-Plastic caps added to visor endpoints to create appearance of the mounting pegs the toy helmet uses.
-Chrome automotive door striping added to visor edges
-Helmet vinyl decal added -- BIG thanks to Cameron for that item! :thumbsup

So, between the helmet, the Jetpack, the cat-litter mats, and lots of effort, my Major Matt Mason costume will be ready for Halloween!

Hey gang, get the fork out, 'cause it's about done! Freakin' magic word: DONE!

I'm still going to have to do tweaking and adjusting... probably forever. Here are some poses with:

-Mattel's Sonic Blaster
-Thunderbolt Rifle (like the ones used in Trancers and Spacehunter: -Adventures in The Forbidden Zone)
-a Match-O-Matic (served as the base for several pistols in Buck Rogers)
-and with the Jetpack, too!

Got rid of the cat litter-mat pieces, and went with the black corduroy fabric for the accordion joint sections. :rolleyes

But, they look better, and and feel more comfortable to wear. I believe this one is finished, at least for this Halloween. Improvements can be made at a much less frenzied pace now!

I thought about it! :lol

However, my Unobtainium supply is very low, not enough on hand to make the whole sled. Worse, I'd need a full-charged Handwavium fuel-cell to run the darn thing.

*Someone* had a YouTube video up where they strapped a modern mini-camera in movie mode onto their Major Matt Mason Crawler, and had it bump and lurch it's way down the hallway. Maybe the ride is smoother in Lunar gravity...

Very cool, great job :thumbsup

I'm not into costuming, but this makes me want to make the helmet. Or maybe a GI Joe spacesuit.

I would totally wear that! You need your crew now! Red, yellow and blue were the other colors, right?

Correct on the colors!
Major Matt Mason: white spacesuit
Sergeant Storm: red spacesuit
Doug Davis: yellow spacesuit
Jeff Long: blue spacesuit

All the toy figures had white helmets; many of the ads from that period show matching colored helmets, which is not what you got when buying the toys!

About done with this - but I had to do a final picture, which I should have done before: a direct comparison of the Major Matt Mason toy figure to my costume:

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back