Mad Max: Fury Road

Well, given that this is basically Mad Max 1.5, the car WILL be rebuilt.

But I agree, killing the car has a very "Haven't we seen this movie before...?" feel to it.

I agree that I like the idea of loner Max better than savior Max, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

At the beginning of that trailer is he just standing there peeing?

One other thing--this is another movie that, to me, the title seems backwards. Fury Road sounds more like a particular stretch of road or even a place (which maybe this is, we don't know yet), but Road Fury would seem more appropriate it sounds like.

I agree that I like the idea of loner Max better than savior Max, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

At the beginning of that trailer is he just standing there peeing?

He's tuning through radio frequencies. You can hear it playing when the trailer starts. That's probably why he's up the hill, trying to get a signal.

Looks ok. Seems like a rehash of the 2nd one, which I suppose makes sense. Not sure I'll catch this in the theater. Might end up being a Netflixer for me.

My thoughts exactly. I saw a number of things in the trailer that look like they were lifted right from The Road Warrior. Unfortunately I am getting a bad Escape from L.A. feeling about this.

Did I see an armored tanker in there, too? And guys tied to the front of a vehicle....could it be that this movie overlaps the other films (not just stuck between them), a heretofore untold side story concurrent to those events?

I pray they practice some restraint with the CG ... it seems like they're already going for the 3D IMAX crowd with many of those scenes.

They really didn't need to have him stomping on that lizard - I hope that's not in the film. Say what you will about Mel - he had the look and presence to shape Max as a character. He didn't need to stomp on a lizard or big monologues.

On the other hand there are more guns ... which I like. (Because I grew up seeing a 8.375" barrelled S&W M29 in the hands of Lord Humungous and Travis (Taxi Driver) I own one today...) Nice to see Max with a 1911.

I'm not expecting it to compare to RW ... if it can capture 50% of the magic and not kill the realism with a bunch of kids from the Blue Lagoon or Tina Turner then I would be satisfied.

I pray they practice some restraint with the CG ... it seems like they're already going for the 3D IMAX crowd with many of those scenes.
Nice to see Max with a 1911.

Max is holding a Glock. Here's a screenshot.
4_zps3b2c4b28.jpg~original

I have a costumes thread going on also for anyone interested in helping ID costume pieces.
http://www.therpf.com/f24/mad-max-fury-road-costumes-thread-217618/

Any sources for the timeline of the movie? So far I haven't seen anything official that helps me decide where in the universe it takes place.

Any sources for the timeline of the movie? So far I haven't seen anything official that helps me decide where in the universe it takes place.

Everything I have heard is between Mad Max and The Road Warrior. I think the alarming radio reports in the beginning of the trailer support that as they eventually fade away to static. This is not long after the nuclear war for sure.
We are clearly seeing the interceptor getting rolled though, but not so much it couldn't get repaired, or he finds another one.

Someone asked George Miller about it at Comic Con when he was answering questions. He just stated it's more in the realm of Mad Max 2 and never really answered. It could just be it's own thing considering the interceptor crashes in the trailer. We'll just have to wait and see. I'm just looking at it as another adventure Max gets into.

As much as I wanted this to be MM1.5, I'm thinking it's an "alternate sequel" to MM1. Anyway, check this out.

tattoo1.jpg

tattoo2.jpg

tattoo2 light.jpg

??? ???
???
No lumps No bumps
Two good eyes No ???
P**s (OK) Genitels intact [sic]
Multiple scars Heals fast
O-NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown [sic]
[on?] the Powder Lakes (V8)
-- guzzolene No supplies
-- PSYCHOTIC
-- muzzled...

Someone asked George Miller about it at Comic Con when he was answering questions. He just stated it's more in the realm of Mad Max 2 and never really answered. It could just be it's own thing considering the interceptor crashes in the trailer.

From wikipedia that, surprise surprise, has a "citation needed".

The original Pursuit Special will appear in the upcoming Mad Max: Fury Road film, set to be released in 2015. Since it was confirmed that the film takes place before Road Warrior, it will bear more resemblance to the Pursuit Special from the original film, rather than the one from Road Warrior, and it will be featured and used in almost all the stunts during the whole film, unlike its predecessors.

I bet everyone who lived by that statement had their souls crushed when they watched the trailer.

Please don't be another "reluctant-loner-becomes-savior-of-chosen-people" story.
Road Warrior - MM saves tribespeople.
Thunderdome - MM saves orphans.
Fury Road - MM saves women.

Well, you got me thinking. In MM1, it was Max's failure to save his wife and child that made him "mad." In MM2, the narrator says that Max is "haunted by the demons of his past" (and they show Max limping away from two crosses in the ground). So while MM2 is a classic Western, it's also a story of Max at least partially regaining his humanity by saving the people in the compound. Since that worked so well, Miller appears to have gone back to the "Max as savior" motif for MM3. And hey, if it worked for those two, why not the fourth? (Just spitballing.)

I always figured that was part of why he helped even when you could tell he didn't want to. It's pretty much the loss of his family and even maybe left over drive to help from when he was a cop. Given what happens to the car he 1) either got another one or fixed it or 2) somehow found himself in a reboot.

Watched the trailer again. Man, I just can't decide what to think. It's more of the same, which is great because Max rules. However, I hardly want a rehash. But there are a lot of new things here as well, artistic flourishes (the blue night, the smoke flares) that make me wonder if there will be a beauty to this that will be something fresh for the franchise. It certainly has the old MM 1 and 2 energy and balls out weirdness, I'm guessing. Getting used to Hardy already, so that's positive.

Well, you got me thinking. In MM1, it was Max's failure to save his wife and child that made him "mad." In MM2, the narrator says that Max is "haunted by the demons of his past" (and they show Max limping away from two crosses in the ground). So while MM2 is a classic Western, it's also a story of Max at least partially regaining his humanity by saving the people in the compound. Since that worked so well, Miller appears to have gone back to the "Max as savior" motif for MM3. And hey, if it worked for those two, why not the fourth? (Just spitballing.)
interesting.

then again, Max's role as "savior" always seemed to arise out of circumstance rather than choice.
Each time he lost all his gear and really had no choice but to barter his skills.
It was fairly obvious Max would rather be back in his interceptor with his faithful dog than helping a bunch of screwballs... you can see it in his eyes "What the hell am I doing with these a-holes?" To be honest I was thinking the same.

IMO the most enjoyable MM film would be the adventures of Max and dog... no character study. no thematic arc. just Max the loner.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back