Mad Max: Fury Road Costume Thread

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road Costumes Thread

I have a South African tactical vest. I can tell you the bottom right pouch will hold two 30 round rifle magazines in either compartment. It will not hold a standard 9mm pistol magazine without dropping it down inside. Either something will need to be shoved into the bottom to hold the magazine up, or Max is carrying 30 round 9mm magazines.

Taking the screen shots down to my local gun store today, they identified the magazines as one Beretta-style magazine and one Uzi-style magazine. In the last photo, the magazine on the right is the Uzi magazine; identified because the manner in which the rounds are stacked more side by side instead of staggered above each other like the magazine on the left which is the Beretta. They had one of each which I photographed with my cell phone, so they are not the best. I am in contact with a local collector who will be able to loan me the magazines which I will load for a better example photograph in the pouches which I will post as soon as possible.

If the original pouches mounted in that location are used, besides the shotgun shell carriers (elastic) being stitched on by hand, and the Velcro and top flaps removed; there is something behind the pistol magazines pushing them forward as the pouch is large enough to carry 4 total and all the photographs available to date only reveal 2.

View attachment 373564View attachment 373565View attachment 373566View attachment 373568View attachment 373580View attachment 373584

I've been thinking it's a higher capacity mag myself. Same for the mag on his right shoulder. You're right about the bottom pouches. It's big enough to fit 4 pistol size mags but they could have also just folded the flap in the pouch filling it up just enough for the two mags to sit close together. There will still be a gap but its hard to tell from the pictures we have so far if it's altered or not. The second pouch next to it would also make the mags fit tighter together side by side will filled up. I'm also wondering now if all the flaps are removed or some just tucked in or since there were a few vest made maybe some just didn't get removed on all of them. In these two photos you can see one has a flap not shown and the other the flap is visible on the pouch that has the container looking thing in it. Also like I mentioned before you can see a bit of the flap on the right shoulder mag pouch showing through too. I'm still not sure where that pouch got removed from either to be relocated there, unless its just one of the small compass size pouches on the sides of the jacket and altered to fit the size of the mag.
Details6AA_zps1c135e6e.jpg

Hoping arlo can give us more details on the battle jacket.

The waffle knit thermal shirt Tom wears in the movie looks to have seams between the armpit and shoulder. Not sure if they came like that or if they added that patch of fabric for more movement. I'm all about accuracy, so I'm hoping we can ID the brand of the shirt.
MM_Fury_Rd_shirt1_zps948a148f.jpg

I'm also wondering now if all the flaps are removed or some just tucked in or since there were a few vest made maybe some just didn't get removed on all of them.

I'm all for saving as much of the original vest as possible; It is a good design and extremely functional, I'd just as soon not tear too much of it up. It has uses beyond cosplay.

The waffle knit thermal shirt Tom wears in the movie looks to have seams between the armpit and shoulder. Not sure if they came like that or if they added that patch of fabric for more movement. I'm all about accuracy, so I'm hoping we can ID the brand of the shirt.

I am not certain about the extra seam within the shirt shoulder; it is possibly just the fold of the fabric as opposed to an added patch. There does not appear to be extra sections added to the shirt in this image. However we can identify there are stitched seams across the shoulders as well as around the arms and the collar is a rolled collar of the same fabric, not an added elastic band.

Shirt.png

I am not certain about the extra seam within the shirt shoulder; it is possibly just the fold of the fabric as opposed to an added patch. There does not appear to be extra sections added to the shirt in this image. However we can identify there are stitched seams across the shoulders as well as around the arms and the collar is a rolled collar of the same fabric, not an added elastic band.

View attachment 373741

You could be right about the seam just being a fold. It does look a lot like a seam in the other picture though. I went through the trailer again to try and find some shots of the sleeves and captured these shots and it doesn't look to have any seams on the right shoulder.
Max7_zpsc10c532c.jpg~original

Also take note of the collar here. You can see how much of it is still intact and where it cuts off. The cut and fraying in the front is causing it to roll back on the other pictures.
Max8A_zps2152a354.jpg

Last edited:

Great reference grabs Comicguy! Looking at the water fight scene, I am almost leaning toward the base shirt being a vintage J. W. Crews waffle shirt; they have very similar seams. Perhaps starting with a beige color, then add the stains and distressing. I wonder if they came in a tall sizing because even with the shirt cuffs cut off; the sleeves still have considerable length.

I have been unable to locate a siphon tube which matches the tubing on his left shoulder. One possibility for what the tubing may be is a medical oxygen hose, commonly referred to as star lumen tubing. If it is not a match, then it at least provides us with a suitable substitution.

starlumen-tubing.gif

Great reference grabs Comicguy! Looking at the water fight scene, I am almost leaning toward the base shirt being a vintage J. W. Crews waffle shirt; they have very similar seams. Perhaps starting with a beige color, then add the stains and distressing. I wonder if they came in a tall sizing because even with the shirt cuffs cut off; the sleeves still have considerable length.
I think the shirt is just a size or two larger than what you would normally wear. I've tried on shirts like this, one and two sizes up and you get the same look. Most of these waffle shirts are form fitting so they wont fit overly big sized up, just in length.

I wonder if SADF had a waffle weave thermal shirt. Most armies are fleece or polyester etc now. Canadian army used to have green cotton waffle weeks shirts.

It appears to be a size or so larger and only 1/3 or so of the front of the collar hem cut off. I bought an XL size myself.

The jackets and pants were all tailor made for the first film (all but Gooses from vinyl). I would imagine on a big budget like Road Warrior the jackets and pants were also tailor made and several copies were done for Mel and or stunt doubles. The Rawlings Crusader pad and plate were modded and attached to the jacket and some of these jacket(s) were used in Beyond Thunderdome.

Since a Thunderdome Costume was obtained (likely measured and photographed extensively) to make copies of for Fury Road, I think the plate was molded while on the old jacket and then just recast and or sculpted from photos and measurements to suit production and a custom pad sewn up with fabric and foam then attached via rivet and belt like the old coats. I doubt they sourced any actual old Rawlings stuff. The three rivets (or bumps from molding) that attach to the real football gear are still present in the new plate. Then again mybe they were on MM Costumes getting the good info.

The jackets and pants were all tailor made for the first film (all but Gooses from vinyl). I would imagine on a big budget like Road Warrior the jackets and pants were also tailor made and several copies were done for Mel and or stunt doubles. The Rawlings Crusader pad and plate were modded and attached to the jacket and some of these jacket(s) were used in Beyond Thunderdome.

Since a Thunderdome Costume was obtained (likely measured and photographed extensively) to make copies of for Fury Road, I think the plate was molded while on the old jacket and then just recast and or sculpted from photos and measurements to suit production and a custom pad sewn up with fabric and foam then attached via rivet and belt like the old coats. I doubt they sourced any actual old Rawlings stuff. The three rivets (or bumps from molding) that attach to the real football gear are still present in the new plate. Then again mybe they were on MM Costumes getting the good info.

Could very well be possible. Liked mentioned before, the only thing I see different about the plate now is the shape around the edges being more round and filled in compared to the flat look it had on the plates used on the old films. They could of cast and reshaped that area if they did indeed go that route.

I also noticed he's wearing the same boots on both feet at the beginning of the trailer. The same style boots from Mad Max 2 that DGSimo posted. You can see them in the same picture above. He's also wearing both of the same boots in this photo.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p108/xplay024/Mad Max Fury Road/A875vcSCcAApusQ_zps30adea08.jpg

In this promo photo he has a different boot on one leg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/...75mRCb1qde7iyo3_1280_zps967f46dc.png~original

Not sure at what point in the film it happens but it appears he loses a boot and replaces with the one above. Another item I'm hoping we could ID soon, but it also gives costumers options if they want to wear both the same boots or one with the modern style.

It's a promo shot, it happens all the time. Props differ from the production material or promos and the actual film. Example: the endless debates about Han Solo's DL-44 antennaes visible in production photos but not in the film. Also, Luke's use of the Holiday Special lightsaber (a different, cheaper, plastic-tip Graflex) on the pinball game image for A New Hope.

- - - Updated - - -

This looks like a muzzleloader rifle, maybe a CVA.

I'm a bit confused by Max's added costume. The original was simple and functional, each part explained, and for a guy in leather in a desert, fairly light weight. He has more than twice as much weight in the new costume, and has the Interceptor, so no reason to be carrying it if he doesn't need it. Also, he has so many more weapons; he spent the first hour of the film only threatening with the shotgun in Road Warrior, and only fired it once. Now he has a Glock, a rifle, and probably a different rifle due to having two loaded magazines. Where was all this ammo in the previous movies?

Last edited:

It's a promo shot, it happens all the time. Props differ from the production material or promos and the actual film. Example: the endless debates about Han Solo's DL-44 antennaes visible in production photos but not in the film. Also, Luke's use of the Holiday Special lightsaber (a different, cheaper, plastic-tip Graflex) on the pinball game image for A New Hope.

Yea it is a promo but he does lose the boot and wears the Under Armor boot. I just can't tell if it's desert tan or black.

You can see him wearing it in this cropped screen shot.
Boot12_zps90d444f4.jpg~original

And then here it looks as if he's bare foot which would explain why he wears the Under Armor boot on that foot whenever it takes place in the film.
foot1_zpsbe3966c3.jpg

foot2_zpscbb2db82.jpg

So Max has Rossi boots in the beginning then is captured. In the screen caps shown he has a different looking boot while tied to the front then no boot while hanging on the back of the car in the sand storm and later on a US modern lightweight boot.

I thought I saw a promo picture of Nux on collider or some website running with his right foot bare. I'll have to check PC when I'm home if I saved it or imagined it.

And then there is this pic with Max still in the muzzle with Nux on his shoulders and he's wearing the Rossi, at least on the right leg. Very curious about the timeline here.

Max & Nux.png

I think the Max carrying Nux and car door all chained together is a production still or promo.

I think the timeline is Max is caught, tied to front of Nux's car and chained/IV lined to him through the door. Max gets loose Car crashes and Max wakes up first dragging Nux and door away still chained. Somewhere in there is the boots deal.

I think the Max carrying Nux and car door all chained together is a production still or promo.

I think the timeline is Max is caught, tied to front of Nux's car and chained/IV lined to him through the door. Max gets loose Car crashes and Max wakes up first dragging Nux and door away still chained. Somewhere in there is the boots deal.

That seems correct to me as well but the boots don't make sense. When they chain him to the car he's wearing the Under Armour boot. When he gets loose and moves around to the back of the car he's barefoot. Then once they crash/ stop, Max has his Rossi boot back. I think they know we're watching and are messing with us. lol

I wonder what are the chances Nux trades Max a boot and jacket then Max takes it back? The exploding tanker could be an incorrect photoshopped promo?

Mad Max 2 (AKA The Road Warrior) was a sequel to the lesser known Mad Max, so he is wearing a beaten up Cop uniform and gear. In the first movie he spent most of the time inside a cop car and on normal roads, not the desert. Miller took the most popular MM scenario to develop a retelling, so Max can wear whatever he likes, despite what was used in the previous movies.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back