Mad Max: Fury Road Costume Thread

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road Costumes Thread

I'd say Karol and I know that shoulder plate and underpadding better than anyone. We've both seen the new film and we both think the shoulder plate is exactly the same as in the previous films, except that it appears a bit thicker at the edge and seems to have some textured paint on it. The thickness could just be a result of them recasting an original plate (or even recasting a copy of an original plate). The padding they used underneath is definitely different. It's thicker and the shape is different. Frankly, it looks more like some of the fan attempts we've seen at Road Warrior shoulder plate pads than it does an original vintage football padding piece like they used in the earlier films.

If we consider the inner barrel diameter to be 11/16, I calculated that the "sliding" segment on the pocket zipper should be about 6.25" (plus the the hidden portions).
View attachment 458928

Thanks for taking the time to scale it, augofett. I actually thought it looked longer. The zippers on the jacket I'm wearing in my Avatar picture is actually 6". I'm wondering if the film's ratio is what's making it appear longer because it looks longer compared to mine.

Last night I started removing the unnecessary pouches from one of my battle jackets and did some testing fitting from what I have so far. Let me tell you, removing the pouches and stitching on this thing is a nightmare. Seriously, I wouldn't want to do it again. Also just in case anyone notices, I have 3 side back straps that came cut on this particular battle jacket but I'm going to have them replaced with my straps from my other jacket. It's nice to have a spare. :D

Anyway I left the base of the bottom large pocket pouch there as I still don't know how much is removed and stitched back when the pouch gets moved over. I also left the large pouch that could hold the G3 mags as I'm still not sure how it's altered to fit them or if that pouch is used at all to hold them.

Here's some pictures.

DSC04359_zpslomt8ec6.jpg

DSC04356_zpsiqzvsyr3.jpg

DSC04357_zpsssv5x57j.jpg

DSC04354_zpsgql1vs0n.jpg

DSC04355_zpsntdobzwp.jpg

What I'm trying to figure out is the G3 mag pouch. From the reference photos you can see an overlapping seam that goes all the way down the pouch as if two pieces were stitched together.

HK%20G3%20Mag%20pouch1_zpsiu02c0pi.png

The pouch already in that location has a stitching down the middle for the separator inside but no seam, so I'm wondering if this pouch was used and how was it altered to fit.
DSC04363_zpskowadhuw.jpg

Then I looked at the extra large pouch that I removed that also had a smaller pouch connected to it and it's about the same size of the pouch above when spit in half, which happens to fit the mag perfect but tight with no alteration.

DSC04360_zpsqjjltxnf.jpg

DSC04361_zpsth63uorf.jpg

DSC04362_zps4ys6qlbe.jpg

Thing is, there is also no overlapping seam here so I'm kind of confused how it was done. The only thing I could think of is maybe the large pouch was split in half and then stitch the two halves together creating the seam? But then why go through the trouble when the pouch above fits perfect with no alteration? Don't know just thought I'd share where I'm at. I'm also still trying to figure out the exact Beretta style mag used in the 5.11 pouches. See post #310. Any help would be appreciated.

You´re welcome Fabian!,
I scaled another picture with the Hurdy gurdy (I own the same exact one) and made the leather Gibson wears on his left side match, and again, I think it´s between 6 and 6.25.
It´possible that gibson is an small guy.
I saw you wear XL, so the proportions will drastically change and a 6 zipper will look smaller.
Just speculation, not exact science!:)

You´re welcome Fabian!,
I scaled another picture with the Hurdy gurdy (I own the same exact one) and made the leather Gibson wears on his left side match, and again, I think it´s between 6 and 6.25.
It´possible that gibson is an small guy.
I saw you wear XL, so the proportions will drastically change and a 6 zipper will look smaller.
Just speculation, not exact science!:)

I actually wear a size small thats why it was throwing me off. The XL was homerjjwalker's jacket. Mel was pretty slim back in those days so I'm guessing his jacket wasn't big either.

I'd definitely guesstimate those zippers at 7" or longer based on the collection of jackets I have and the length of Mel/Tom's arms.

I'd definitely guesstimate those zippers at 7" or longer based on the collection of jackets I have and the length of Mel/Tom's arms.
Yea that's what I was thinking myself. I have reference photos printed out so when I go to the tailor I'll get their thoughts too.

Apologies if it's obvious somewhere, but I can't find pics of our first look at max, before he's captured and given a haircut. Are there any refs for that?

Apologies if it's obvious somewhere, but I can't find pics of our first look at max, before he's captured and given a haircut. Are there any refs for that?
We don't have many good shots yet but you can find what we have so far here #37 #38 #284

I encourage you guys to have a look through the thread though. Lots of info and findings already made from fellow members and myself over the past year.

I just realized my old motorcycle jacket has 7" zipper pockets with the flaps over them. I did a comparison to one of my other jackets that has 6" pockets to get an idea.

I measured to the point where I could feel the end of the metal zipper under the leather.

DSC04364A_zpsogwcrmgp.jpg

DSC04365A_zpswapadztk.jpg

Keep in mind my jackets are not laying perfectly flat and the jacket in the film the zippers would be at an angle and a little bit higher than my jacket with the 7" zipper. Looking at them in person I do think the 7" looks more accurate in my opinion. Also the bottom V shape cut of my motorcycle jacket looks exactly like the one Max wears. I think I'm going to bring it with me to the tailor so they can match it.

BTW on the original trilogy Mad Max jacket, the arm pit strap on his shoulder pad was a Rossi boot strap (which is why his boot straps were missing off his boots in the second movie, he had repurposed them - one for his shoulder pad and one for his knee pad - nothing goes to waste in the wastes!)

In Fury Road, the arm pit strap is clearly NOT a Rossi strap. It's wider, with a different buckle. You can see it pretty clearly here in this shot from the new trailer when Nux is wearing the jacket and being carried by Max.
shoulder pad arm pit strap.jpg

Thanks. I have about 20 pages of reference photos and a few sketches printed out for the jacket and pants. There is no way the tailor could screw it up with a booklet of reference right? :lol

I'm going to head over there Saturday and see what can be done.

By any chance, are you willing to share those pages of reference pics on the jacket?

I'm new to Mad Max cosplay, and still working on things...

By any chance, are you willing to share those pages of reference pics on the jacket?

I'm new to Mad Max cosplay, and still working on things...
They're just screenshots from the movies I had printed. Most of which I have already posted throughout the pages of the thread.

Last edited:

This thread is amazing, guys. The Road Warrior trilogy is probably my favorite series of all time, one that I can watch and quote over and over. I'll probably never get tired of it. I actually started a Max costume years ago, using the mmc site, but got derailed by lack of experience and funding. This time, though, I'm dead set. That being said, as SA as I wanna get (I'd like to build up some thunderdome gear to go with my FR stuff as well) I just can't get with the UA boots. I'm planning on using my current pair of USMC Rat boots in their place as I think they have an appropriate color and material scheme to go with the SADF nutria battle jacket and black leather.

They're just screenshots from the movies I had printed. Most of which I have already posted throughout the pages of the thread.

Ahh, thought you had a handy pile of images that could be zipped or something.

Thanks though!

I got some goodies in the mail today. A few pouches, but we've already seen those.
I used to actually work in the knife and cutlery industry, and we had Max's Chris Reeve in one of our display cases. I..wouldnt pay $300 for it. It's a nice knife, and it's a great company, but the metal that they use is not worth that price. I've seen them fail and become irreparable. So, I picked up a non-serrated Schrade for $40~ on Amazon.
The handle is close, and if the sheathe isnt as SA as you'd like it, you CAN purchase the Chris Reeve sheathe separately, and the knife should fit. I make no guarantees, though. I don't own a CR to test it. :)
unnamed.jpgunnamed (1).jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back