Lumpy’s hand carved X-Wing from the Holiday Special

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
Sort of a continuation from another thread I posted…

I was wondering if anyone has ever pursued Lumpy’s hand carved X-Wing that his grandpa carved for him? So many people have made replicas of Luke’s holiday special lightsaber but I don’t see a lot of other Holiday Special replicas being made. I find this piece fascinating because it was made from a found item so it seem like something that might get some attention in the prop community.

There are two different X-Wing model props discussed here…
1. An in process carving model
2. A finished model

IMG_8708.jpeg
IMG_8709.jpeg

I first got interested in this item in 2003 when StarWars.com posted a story about the Holiday Special for its 25th anniversary. At the time they said it was a hand painted (to look like wood) vintage MPC X-Wing model. However from the latest info I heard from 2019….

…states that both the prop that is the carving in progress and the finished carving are both based on the vintage Este X-Wing model rocket.

IMG_8712.jpeg

Here is the model from the video from above. This is the carving in progress. The video says that it has balsa wood wings and that it is one of the few items from the Holiday Special that is in the LFL archives.

IMG_8711.jpeg

Anyone else find this interesting or just me?

Last edited:
I's it the maxi brute model or the later smaller version?
I don’t know. They didn’t say and I don’t know much about them other than the two size versions were both available at the time.

Here is someone handling the Maxi Brute size which assuming the sizes have not changed much over time, looks big to me in comparison of what I am seeing in the Holiday Special?

Thoughts?

Anyone else find this interesting or just me?

I do. There's two different X-Wing props here. Lumpy is flying his own X-Wing around in his hands at the same time that Grandpa is making another out of wood. Lumpy's is much more detailed like a toy or model, that's been painted brown to look like it's made out of wood as you say. Itchy on the other hand is holding the one in your last picture, which definitely does look like it's made out of wood, and has exagerrated features like the nose and the wonky engines, Either because it's hand carved, or he just hasn't fixed up all the details properly yet.

I've no idea whether it was a toy or a filming model that Lumpy has, or whether it's Lumpy's or Itchy's in the LFL archives. But there's definitely two, and Lumpy's looks rather movie accurate. The other does not.

I do. There's two different X-Wing props here. Lumpy is flying his own X-Wing around in his hands at the same time that Grandpa is making another out of wood. Lumpy's is much more detailed like a toy or model, that's been painted brown to look like it's made out of wood as you say. Itchy on the other hand is holding the one in your last picture, which definitely does look like it's made out of wood, and has exagerrated features like the nose and the wonky engines, Either because it's hand carved, or he just hasn't fixed up all the details properly yet.

I've no idea whether it was a toy or a filming model that Lumpy has, or whether it's Lumpy's or Itchy's in the LFL archives. But there's definitely two, and Lumpy's looks rather movie accurate. The other does not.

Right. Sorry if I did not make that clear. I am talking about two versions of the prop, a work in progress by grandpa, and then his finished toy.

If you go back and listen to the video I posted, they say that both versions was made from the Estes model rocket, the one being carved is just painted with various add-ons to make it look raw. I am pretty sure (based on the video) the final version is another of the same model rocket kit built completely and then just painted with the wood look.

Last edited:
The maxi brute is extremely accurate. So I'm guessing Lumpy's is the other one
Looking further for some sizes. The standard rocket came in at 10.9”.

The brute comes in at 21.63”

Last edited:
This is great! I love the subject of models used as props in movies. I even started a thread a while ago trying to chronicle them.

I bring up the Holiday Special Xwing somewhere in the thread. Such a great weird model/prop.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back