Lucasfilm to Strike Back March 7th - Lucasfilm vs Andrew Ainsworth

Are you all still banging on about AA winning ?

He didn't win.

He lost on his claim to the copyright; the judge at trial confirmed that any legal rights capable of existing in the various items AA fabricated belonged to LFL.

It was only because the items were deemed to be utilitarian in their nature and therefore incapable of having copyright attach to them, and that the alternative design rights' period of protection had expired before AA's infringing acts that LFL wasn't capable of enforcing them. He got lucky. Now the design to the Stormtrooper is in the public domain in the UK he is free to make and sell his items here. But then again so am I and so is anyone else who lives in the UK.

If the judge had ruled the items were sculptural, which could easily have happened, LFL could have claimed damages for every infringing item he had made.

AA didn't win; LFL lost. That is not the same thing.

The second part of the appeal went against him. Now LFL can potentially sue him for any breaches of copyright law outside the UK in the English courts.

Just because the papers report something with a certain amount of spin because it makes for a better story doesn't make it so.

Sorry to necro a thread but I just had to share this;

Having got tired of being approached by pro AA members of the public at events (I'm 501st ) I have had this printed up.
IMG_0136.jpg

Atleast now the word is geting out from the get go.

I'm easy either way.

However , it might be interesting to find out if you can replicate the carbon freezing process using a large enough sheet of ABS, a Vac former and an (un)willing participant.

I'm figuring a few would like that hanging on their wall.

WARNING THIS POST MAY CAUSE YOUR BRAIN TO EXPLODE!

You want a real mind bender?

If AA made a HIC with HIS likeness...

And a member recast it...

THEN would buying a recasteded something seem OK for this special occasion?

I know I would love one... But would never buy from him...

Just a quick question...... Did any evidence ever surface about the genesis of the "red clay" "gray clay" sculpture come to light. I've heard of Liz Moore and never heard of Pemberton before, that doesn't mean that a rookie couldn't hit a homerun and then never be heard from again. There's been A LOT of back and forth regarding "who" designed what, and when it was done and who they talked to about it. Ainsworth WAS a vacufomer....no one argues that, correct? Has it ever been answered one way or the other (with some sort of proof) as to who actually sculpted the clay model, Moore or Pemberton?

Thanks!! :)

Yes, I agree that AA is a bit full of himself when it comes to his actual sculpting of anything. While reading through ALL 27 fun filled pages of this thread I pulled up a pdf. of the UK decision and it looked like the Judge, because of the testimony by Liz Moore's BF at the time and his testimony that the clay was grey lays ownership of the original model on Pemberton. Her son, Dan, was gonna have a meeting with AA to clear the air about his mother's involvement in the creation of the helmet. Do you know if that meeting ever took place....this was three years ago I guess. In the large scale it was the copyright of the armor and the "art" vs. "industrial design" that was being fought, so maybe the name of the clay sculptor fell between the cracks.

I have NO INTENTION OF REOPENING THIS ARGUEMENT!!! I'm just looking for the answer to a question that seemed to be whispered about but not truly answered.

Thanks! :) You guys are the 'authority" when it comes to navigating the miasma of Star Wars knowledge.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back