Interest LOTR Gandalf Ring - Narya (Interest Thread)

Loneken

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi All

I've been working for the past several weeks to make a screen accurate replica of Gandalf's ring in LOTR / Hobbit. The commercially available replicas (mostly NC) have always been pretty poor quality and far from being screen accurate, so I decided to make my own ring - I'm working with a friend who is a talented 3D artist and metal smith, and we've already made good progress on this as we have a 90% accurate 3d model that will be using to create the mould and cast the ring in whatever metal we end up picking. I've been doing lots of research, including getting inputs from the jewelers from the Hobbit and LOTR trilogies, and the goal is to make the most accurate replica out there, using the same materials, same size, etc as the actual thing.

This thread is only to gauge interest and really to see if there's still any interest in LOTR / Hobbit stuff, as I also have a bunch of other LOTR jewelry projects in my pipeline. Regardless of the interest on the RPF, I will be moving forward on this as 1. it's a passion of mine 2. I have enough interest through FB groups to fund the costs if I needed to, but I thought I would also offer this to the RPF community. If I do decide to do a run, my ideal scenario would be to make a small run and then move on to my next project - I'm not trying to turn a profit on this run, so the price point would be whatever this cost me + set up costs amortized over the number of units made. I'd probably be targeting a $200 to $300 price point, and not above $300 for sure.

Attaching a few renders of the current 3d model - feel free to comment below and / or ask any questions.

Attachments

• IMG-20220413-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220413-WA0001.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG-20220413-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220413-WA0003.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG-20220413-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20220413-WA0004.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG-20220414-WA0005(1).jpg
    IMG-20220414-WA0005(1).jpg
    170 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG-20220414-WA0006(1).jpg
    IMG-20220414-WA0006(1).jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG-20220414-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20220414-WA0007.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 347
Hey, are you still working on this? I'm currently doing a 18cty version for a client as an engagement ring. Do you have any dimsenions/good reference for the stone? Some pictures seem to show it as oval and others as more of an elongated octagon cut - i'm just trying to find the right stone. Sadly I think a ruby will be a few ££££ out of budget for customer, but i'm hoping I can find a garnet to fit.

Count me in as interested as well! This has got to be one of my all time favourite ring props.
I've actually been trying to make my own versions, in brass and in silver, the latter which will prove easier to plate in gold.
I feel I can never get the dimensions right, especially the maximum width of the stone area relative to the narrowest part of the band.

Hey, are you still working on this? I'm currently doing a 18cty version for a client as an engagement ring. Do you have any dimsenions/good reference for the stone? Some pictures seem to show it as oval and others as more of an elongated octagon cut - i'm just trying to find the right stone. Sadly I think a ruby will be a few ££££ out of budget for customer, but i'm hoping I can find a garnet to fit.
Douglas, very interested to see what you come out with!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back