Lighted droid caller, from a real Kobold flashgun (with vid on page 2)

Re: Droid caller from a real Kobold flashgun

Here we go again. :lol

As the threads from the big screw and the bottom of the Kobold were not matching, i made a disc from black 2mm styrene which fits inside the Kobold.

The disk got a hole thats 1mm smaller than the thread from the screw - this way the alu-screw is able to tap the needed thread in the softer disc (i have no tapping tools for inch-sizes, only metric). After that is done outside, it´s only needed to put the disc inside and hold it with your fingertips while screwing the screw in. Tighten with your hand only, it will hold (due to using a styrene disc), no need for brutal force.
Bastelei046.jpg

Looks good and is centered
Bastelei047.jpg

Next step was to rip all it´s internal parts
Bastelei048.jpg

Bastelei049.jpg

Bastelei050.jpg

Looks promising for including a flashlight and a buzzer. Buzzer is a 10 minutes job - but producing a flashlight that snaps in the original mount (to be able to change between "cool" and "screen accurate") might be a nice challenge. :cool

Now i need to find a nice flashlight in the right size, to donate the needed parts.

Hi Michael,

Good to know that the screw belongs to the original Kobold Flashgun Unit. Now I know what to look for if I too want my Han ANH Droidcaller to become screen accurate. Thanks for your offer to give me measurements etcetera but I don't know anybody here in the outskirts of the galaxy with a CNC who could replicate that screw for me besides I rather have the vintage authentic parts over newly made.

-Chaim

Hi Chaim,

sure, authentic/vintage is prefered - but it may be a possible way to go, if no original shows up. If ... you know where to find me. :)

I checked all my flashlights, and oh wonder, i had one that was exact the type i needed. :cool

I talked to a friend who is electrical worker, and a passionate fotographer, AND StarWars-fan - and he asked me if i really want to rip apart such a part of the history of fotographie. He accepted that i scrap some inner parts, as it will never be used as a flashgun again, but he convinced me to try something special. ;)

There is a movable pin in the middle for "+", and "-" is connected with the housing
Bastelei052.jpg

There is a original insert for the fast change of the flash-bulbs
Bastelei053.jpg

It has a small indention for the securing screw
Bastelei054.jpg

And one for the bayonet lock
Bastelei055.jpg

If the release is pressed, the middle pin snaps the insert out
Bastelei057.jpg

Bastelei058.jpg

I decided to try to make a new insert with the flashlight parts - that way i can have it screen acurate with popped out insert, and cool with pressed in light-insert. :)

I scrapped the flashlight, and made a new insert from some aluminium with my lathe. Outer dia as the original part, but slighly deeper, as the original has a moving middle-pin and the new one not
Bastelei060.jpg

It has the indention for the securing screw
Bastelei061.jpg

And for the lock
Bastelei062.jpg

A view inside it, with the part from the scrapped flashlight and the lens of it (the gray stuff is a kind of blue tack, it will be glued permanent after the electric is done and i see the light :lol )
Bastelei064.jpg

The new and the original inserts.
Bastelei063.jpg

The final test of the proper function - it snaps in as it was planned :lol
Bastelei066.jpg

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand ............. it pops out when the release is pressed. Bingo! :love
Bastelei067.jpg

I think it looks pretty good - and with just a small movement of the thump it is screen accurate again. :cool

Bastelei068.jpg

The lamp needs 3 AAA batteries (there is room enough).

If i find a buzzer that is small enough to fit in another of these inserts and works with the 3x 1,5V, i will make another one for the buzzer. :)

Hi Michael,

Looking real good. Nice work in progress.

-Chaim

Thanks Chaim. :)

I will show some lighted pics later - it works like a charm. :cool

Re: Lighted droid caller, from a real Kobold flashgun

Here are the promised pics. :)

After beeing sure that everything works fine, i looked for an additional reflector, and secured the parts with some silicone. Every parts snaps together and holds without it - but i want to ensure to get no trouble later.
Bastelei069.jpg

While the silicone is drying, its a good time to do some soldering work - connecting + with the switch, and from the switch to the middle pin
Bastelei071.jpg

A rough cut 0,5mm styrene plate for isolation
Bastelei074.jpg

Some foamed rubber to ensure the batterybox has a tight fit
Bastelei075.jpg

Bastelei076.jpg

Some light milling was done to ensure enough space for the batterybox to fit inside the Kobold
Bastelei072.jpg

Everything fits together as wished :cool
Bastelei077.jpg

The lens is still missing, it will be glued in after the silicone has dried
Bastelei078.jpg

LET THERE BE LIGHT!
Bastelei079.jpg

(It´s brighter with the lens)

Re: Lighted droid caller, from a real Kobold flashgun

And, for better visualisation, a small vid:

Last edited:
Excellent job!

-Chaim

Thanks. :)

Now i need to find some matching parts to build a buzzer-insert. Not as easy as expected, most are bigger and/or need more power. Lighting is easy, buzzing would be too - but both interchangeable seems to be harder.

More challenge, more fun. :cool

awesome looking caller. Where would one look to find these old flash guns?

Thanks.

No idea - my best bet would be to search ebay, or antique shops with vintage camera equipment. Or maybe the junkyards of vintage camera related forums.

I searched ebay for a long time, and this was the only one i have seen there.

Back