Kialna's 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Smaug the Magnificent

Re: The Hobbit - Smaug the magnificent [Human form]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387707093.942840.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387707112.381492.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387707125.919115.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387707137.796522.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387707148.722037.jpg

Rough shaping of the lower jaw. Will be cutting for a while.

BdYFuH0l.jpg

5vFRF6El.jpg

tl6vy4Al.jpg

bA6oJUyl.jpg

Due to lack of horns, he looks a little...simple. But yeah... will be done quickly. I'm nearly finishing the stage of EXTREMELY rough shaping. When that's done, I'll be going for more detail.

PUR. Poly-Urethane foam. Or known as isolation foam. :)

I hope that helps.

That's fantastic! This is looking great and I love the shapes that you're getting from this. (great stuff?)

It generates quite some waste foam, but it is fairly cheap and easily applied, although airbubbles are hard to prevent. Even so, once the general shape is there, I should be able to coat it with fibreglass, so I can start sculpting on it. I'll make the horns separately. (easier for transport)

Also, be careful of your fingers :D

Fantastic idea and great approach. Looking forward to seeing how you progress on this.

If you dont have them already, you should invest in some rakes for the clay so that when you start doing the head you can quickly shape your smaller forms (or use loop tools but file some teeth into them )

The Hobbit - Smaug the magnificent [Human form]

Luckily I already own those since as early as 2008. I needed them at the art academy. :)

However; walking through London now, I'm wondering how I'll get to leicester square in costume IF the premiere is held in London...

I'm thinking of a mechanism that makes it possible to tuck the tail towards a belt. Also, to lock the wings.

The tube isn't a nice place with such a costume. I'd probably have to take a cab or so. I do try to design the tail as such, so I can sit down.

Progress! I made a new breastplate and started making molds for the gloves. I also made bracers that reflect the style of spikes he has.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388882669.139653.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388882694.524506.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388882736.318710.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388882755.959409.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388882775.425480.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388882790.543747.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388882814.758872.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388882832.335233.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388882847.456359.jpg

This weekend was godspeed it seems.

All the yellow will be gold eventually. I just don't have gold paint yet..

Vk2fePBl.jpg

DiIpeZKl.jpg

TG2v7y8l.jpg

Here's a deatail of the chest with a coin. These will be gold/silver too.

QmWqQdYl.png

unjWBHPl.jpg

vHJEGcBl.jpg

The yellow looks goofy. I can't wait for the gold paint ._.

Ok. Well... like I said, I'd replace the yellow with gold paint. And so I did. Much better.

653hTNHl.jpg

duAxnnLl.jpg

su5vDQol.jpg

hZJxEy2l.jpg

c8zYUbLl.jpg

m4mRn7Zl.jpg

They need a clearcoat/varnish. The gauntlets/bracers need to be sanded from the inside a little bit near the wrists. But other than that, good stuff.

Looks good, all you need to really sell it is a missing scale on the left(?) side of the breast at about the same place Smaug is missing one in the film.

I'm thinking of embedding the 'hole' in one of the pauldrons instead of the breastplate, since it's...described as being there..somewhere... I don't know how I am going to do it. I realised the mistake after I finished all the work on the breastplate. And I went "oh ****." So I'll see....maybe I'll...figure something out. I dunno. Whelp.

I made a pauldron design because I'm broke and I can't do a lot, since I'm also tired. This weekend will mostly be carving, designing and thinking out techniques. I already made a list of things I still have to do.

lfcZTFRl.jpg

I am a bit stumped at the moment. This weekend I might make patterns for the scalemail and the legs. But for the head... I am just a bit conflicted.

JeZrC2ll.jpg

xt32wwBl.jpg

ITv6H4pl.jpg

ZxyWQoLl.jpg

I am now rather certain it is too big. And I am also thinking of an entirely different technique for the head. Which also gives me more symmetry. I'm thinking of a solution and trying things out. But I might stop with this version... I can still use it to model and as a base for some things. I can always cut it down, but I am not going to be able to get this in the shape I want it.

So this weekend will be some re-sketching and re-planning.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back