Jumanji Game Board replica - 15/05/13 Update - Board Edges

Re: Jumanji Game Board replica - 12/05/13 Update - Board Edges

Went round to see the carver last night and took the other pieces round to check the size. Not bad at all - just need to trim off 1-2mm here and there and it will all fit together beautifully. No new carving has been done on these pieces since my last post, so there's still quite a way to go, but it's exciting to see the thing finally coming together!

Here's a test fit - these pieces are just placed in position - in some cases pieces are just placed on top of other pieces as they don't quite slide in perfectly yet as they've not been trimmed down the 1-2mm:

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

:thumbsup :D true talent!! Its coming together quite nicely!

Also, whats up with the middle there? The ring and dome removable ATM?

Last edited:

Yeah, the inner dome and ring have not been stuck down yet, so I just took them off to make it easier to transport the wooden pieces to his house (so nothing would break).

Just got these pics sent over today. Moving along at a pace now... :D

All edges carved:

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

Hi there,
This is fantastic, really beautiful carving work :)
I started making a Jumanji board a few weeks ago (for a college project) and have just made my first post on here.
I'm starting to wonder about the hinges and how on earth I'm going to make them out of wood... Any tips?

Hi there,
This is fantastic, really beautiful carving work :)
I started making a Jumanji board a few weeks ago (for a college project) and have just made my first post on here.
I'm starting to wonder about the hinges and how on earth I'm going to make them out of wood... Any tips?

What I did was cut 8 pieces of the exact same size and shape, then i drilled holes in them with an accurate metal drill press. And then i used a dremel to round off the top so the lids could open and close with ease. After that i inserted a metal rod cut to the right length into each pair of hinge pieces. I used a vice grip and a couple clamps to hold the game pieces together and glued the hinges with wood glue and then i reinforced them with a few small air pressure nails. Hope this helps.

What I did was cut 8 pieces of the exact same size and shape, then i drilled holes in them with an accurate metal drill press. And then i used a dremel to round off the top so the lids could open and close with ease. After that i inserted a metal rod cut to the right length into each pair of hinge pieces. I used a vice grip and a couple clamps to hold the game pieces together and glued the hinges with wood glue and then i reinforced them with a few small air pressure nails. Hope this helps.

Yeah that's really helpful thanks :)
As I said I'm not quite there yet, but really appreciate the guidance. Always good to know how other people have done things.

Yes, the borders connect well. They're still not finished though. We noticed an error where the border design continued in the middle of the middle board instead of the pattern being broken by interconnecting teeth/grooves. That is being corrected at the moment. When it's done everything will interconnect properly, and you will not be able to see the diamond pattern when the box is closed, as some other replicas have. I'm really happy with the border as I haven't seen any replicas that have the pattern correct other than this one. It's more complex than it looks.

A little more progress has been made - border fix underway, a bit more done on the tokens, token compartment lids finished and trimmed down to fit, side oblong grip-grooves carved (sadly these are too low, so are going to be filled in and re-done), and I've done some photoshop work to get the rules done (these are just rough mock-ups in place in these pics).

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

Hinges, attaching the carved lid pieces, tokens and slight modifications to the monkey and Van Pelt images (in light of new reference material) will be next.

Any news on this HowlRunner? Looks terrific.

Also I would like some advice on the replica I'm currently making... Mainly about the stain/paint job you plan for the lid.

Hope progress is still yours!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back