JSI 1/18 F-14A Tomcat (VF-84 Jolly Rogers)

Those outdoor photos on the concrete are fantastic! (y)love:thumbsup

I am wishing it came with the figures. Anyone suggest where to get some top notch figures in this size for this bird?

Those outdoor photos on the concrete are fantastic! (y)love:thumbsup

I am wishing it came with the figures. Anyone suggest where to get some top notch figures in this size for this bird?

People have been saying that JSI will be offering a pilot and RIO soon. :thumbsup

I have always liked the F-14 (F-4 being my fav) and I didn't realize how huge this thing really was until I went to the museum in Pensacola Florida. They have one mounted on a pedestial just outside the front door. You walk under it when you enter the museum. Looking up at this thing , well, it's just incredible!!

CD, your jet looks fantastic! Great job on the paint!!:thumbsup

T Anyone suggest where to get some top notch figures in this size for this bird?

Until the JSI figures come out I am using the GI Joe green "Ace" figures from the TRU air officer pack. I ordered VF-84 helmet decals from a place called Sky Works Toys.

Very cool! :thumbsup

I just finished up my RC F-14 tomcat in Black Knights scheme. It has an operating swing wing and air retracts. I cant wait for the weather to come around so I can fly it!

Always loved the jolly rogers paint job - my RC F-18 has it.

f18_sm.jpg

yt..... that is a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion mate! :)

hyperdyne...... gotta love the actual flying machines..... and your F-18 looks AWESOME! :D I would love to view a video of it flying sometime. :)

you are correct. all retired jets are now to be demiliterized. that means, no radar, fire controll computer, engines..... the list is very long. the bone yard in phenix arizona talks about the process on their website.

BTW, your tomcat looks great!

The boneyard, is in Tucson. at Davis Monthan. i was out there in the early 90s. heres one website. theres a few others.

http://www.amarcexperience.com/Default.asp

I had been watching this for a long time, I was really put off by the "spots" paint job though, is there any word from JSI they will make one without the spots? I cant imagine anyone is happy with that look.

I had been watching this for a long time, I was really put off by the "spots" paint job though, is there any word from JSI they will make one without the spots? I cant imagine anyone is happy with that look.

Another run of F-14 I would guess may happen.
It's hard to say in this market. Most popular 1/18 aircraft come back as repaints sooner or later. But some are getting rare like the F-18 and F-16 and command good prices on ebay. And those were not $200.00 items as initially offered. I kept my order in, even knowing ahead of time about the spots.

1/18 Tomcats do not grow on trees so it was a bird in the hand kind of thinking.

Basic airbrush skills make fast work of the spots, the masking of the markings was the pain in the butt. But nothing monumental, mostly annoying to have to spend a few hours doing it when it was something I shouldn't have had to do at all.

1/18 Tomcats do not grow on trees so it was a bird in the hand kind of thinking.

Basic airbrush skills make fast work of the spots, the masking of the markings was the pain in the butt. But nothing monumental, mostly annoying to have to spend a few hours doing it when it was something I shouldn't have had to do at all.

That pretty much sums up my feelings.

Nice work getting rid of the "spots"!! They looked awful!! You did a fine job bringing the life back into it.

One of these 1:18 Cats is just begging for a complete overhaul paint job from Masa Narita! He's the best scale modler I've ever seen and his work speaks for itself. I'd love to see him take on this big Cat. Be sure to take 15 minutes or so check out his entire site. He has several completed models including aircraft, armor, ships, and best of all-- several "how to's" documenting the steps he took to complete some of his fantastic work. I wish he did video's to show his progress. Check out his work here:

http://www.naritafamily.com/Scalemodel/airplanes/photo_frame.htm

Tamiya_F-14__004.JPG

Yeah, those spots were an eyesore. Looks great now. I can't believe the detail with the rivet marks. I guess that's why this thing is 230 dollars. How's the detail in the cockpit?

I visited the Boneyard at Davis Monthan (Willie Moth as I believe the locals called it) in the 90's as well. Incredible place. Take a look at an aerial image via Google Maps. Even though some call it a 'Boneyard' we were told it is for war reserve storage mostly. Most aircraft could be returned to service within a short period of time.

TazMan2000

Yeah, those spots were an eyesore. Looks great now. I can't believe the detail with the rivet marks. I guess that's why this thing is 230 dollars. How's the detail in the cockpit?

I visited the Boneyard at Davis Monthan (Willie Moth as I believe the locals called it) in the 90's as well. Incredible place. Take a look at an aerial image via Google Maps. Even though some call it a 'Boneyard' we were told it is for war reserve storage mostly. Most aircraft could be returned to service within a short period of time.

TazMan2000

Cockpit is ok, bout what to expect from current 1/18 stuff.
The ejection seats are the stars I think there.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back