Is there a market for concept props?

FLM Concepts

I have a few designs, and many more to come, that I'd like to make, if only for myself. Some of them are inspired by Star Trek, and some of them are completely original, or inspired by designs that I've seen in various analog RPGs and movies.

Is there a market for props that are not exact replicas of existing and well-known items?

I'm a beginner when it actually comes to building physical props, but I have plenty of 3d modeling experience and some pretty killer tools at my disposal.

My goal in life is to create props for low-budget (not no-budget) productions, but I'd also like to be able to provide unique designs to sci-fi fans at reasonable cost.

My husband is a sign designer by his very existence, but he would be equally happy designing and building props for a living. He has way more experience building real props.

I've seen some cool builds on the RPF of original stuff, and while they're interesting builds I enjoy reading the process... I don't think many people want to buy stuff that isn't from the Movies, TV Shows, Games, Universes, etc that they love.

The exception would be someone like Bill Doran of Punished Props and his recently successful Kickstarter. It's a completely original Space Gun - but I'm sure people are buying that because they follow and respect Bill's work, not simply because it's original stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Nope, i completely disagree. If the prop is cool, i dont care if it is original or from a movie. i love buying peoples art. that includes props. But that just means it comes down to person taste. i absolutely love Bruce D Mitchell's helmets and they are his own creations. If you want to make it for yourself then do it.. If you happen to sell some here, then it's icing on the cake. I make all my props for me because i want them. Then if i sell some, it helps pay for the next project. But i never let the community decide what im going to build. So i guess it depends on if you want to make money or make art. Some people are lucky enough to do both.

Cheers

Thanks kinda how I'm looking at it, at least at first. Make it for me, and if some people like it and want it, so much the better.

At least, at first.

Like I said, I want to be a prop builder by trade, providing quality props to low-budget productions for decent prices.

I have over 30 years of research into this. Time to turn that into practical experience.

I'll be working on the masters of my first P1 this weekend, if not sooner.

I'll be able to buy silicone and resin a week later, and I should be casting up this model a week after that, depending on shipping times.

I just wish I already had a vacuum chamber and pump. That will be one of my first purchases once I can afford it.

Hi. I agree and disagree with the above posts. This forum is heavily used by fans of particular things and of course theyre going to gravitate towards well known replicas of things they love. At the same time, there are many people here who im sure can appreciate whatever it is someone creates, regardless of its origins. Its the market issue that comes into play though. People seem happy to fork out large amounts of cash for something they recognise, but there are far fewer people who either have the money or can justify spending it on something randomly creative.
I personally love the idea! As much as i enjoy seeing how well some people can replicate a prop made and designed with the backing of multi-million dollar companies, in their sheds, I still really appreciate a well designed, well executed prop. I think where you have an advantage is with what you are hoping to accomplish. That is to say, if you were trying to earn a living from just selling replicas, creating concept work would probably fail, or at the very least, be minimally productive. But the fact that you want to get into props for films is excellent. Look at movies like District 9, etc. There is always going to be a call for original designs. Whether you can break into that market as a freelancer.....well i dont know. You might find you have more luck making props for smaller productions and providing computer models for larger productions that can create their own peices at a lower cost, but simply require the creativity you can give them for concepts.

- - - Updated - - -

If you've ever been to DeviantArt (a website where artists share their work, whatever form it takes) theres a member called Peterku. His concept weapon work is brilliant, and if you're even half as good, im sure theres a market for your abilities. I know as someone who makes replicas myself, I'd gladly make something of his (with his permission) purely because of how good it looks.

Thanks!

I may start a DeviantArt account just for my concept props.

I just found out my wax will be here Thursday instead of Friday, so I should be sculpting my first concept P1 on Friday. P2 pistol grip to follow.

I may be a beginner when it comes to physical props, but I have the tools and design abilities to carry out some pretty amazing stuff, not to toot my own horn.

I'll have a pretty interesting method of creating my masters and molds. Pics and video to come in a dedicated thread.

If you've ever been to DeviantArt (a website where artists share their work, whatever form it takes) theres a member called Peterku. His concept weapon work is brilliant, and if you're even half as good, im sure theres a market for your abilities. I know as someone who makes replicas myself, I'd gladly make something of his (with his permission) purely because of how good it looks.

Peterku is a brilliant concept designer.
Thanks for pointing to him, his work is inspiring !

If It's a science fiction weapon. and looks cool. and I can afford It at the time. I want one....lol

I just had a look at Peterku's designs. Truly inspiring work, and I may contact him to make some of them a reality once I have a few of my own under my belt.

Just look at the snub nose Blade Runner guns guys have made. Totally not cannon, but super cool and desirable. Make something interesting and well, and people will want it. You also avoid the rigidity of having to follow a prop's details exactly, so your imagination is free of those particular rules and restrictions.

If It's a science fiction weapon. and looks cool. and I can afford It at the time. I want one....lol

That's how I feel. Too bad I can rarely afford anything. :lol

- - - Updated - - -

Just look at the snub nose Blade Runner guns guys have made. Totally not cannon, but super cool and desirable. Make something interesting and well, and people will want it. You also avoid the rigidity of having to follow a prop's details exactly, so your imagination is free of those particular rules and restrictions.

Not to mention trademarks. :D

You should look into a good 3D printer, if you are that good at solids then you can design anything and just hit the print button,
I have the Replicator, and although it is a great machine for the price, I need something I can make kits with am looking into getting an Objet and should be able to make more than the lease payments, I wish you the best of luck! and keep the pics coming!

A 3D Printer is certainly in our future, but it's a ways off right now. I'm pretty particular over the build resolution and require the use of support material, so that limits what's available at reasonable cost.

I WANT that ID Concept Phaser! I just don't have an extra $450 laying around right now. But that's the sort of thing I'm thinking for a lot of props.

And annanake, I replied to your PM. :)

Absolutely. There are some small shops that make there own lightsaber designs and seem to do alright. Parks Sabers does lightsabers that resemble screen used ones, but also do original concepts. If it's cool, and the right genre many fans love customs. A lightsaber is a good example because we're led to believe that every Jedi makes there own and that they are unique. It helps if it's loosely linked to something people love. If you design Star Trek or Star Wars styled customs there is definetly a market. Just my opinion. Good luck.

For me, it’s all about art, not a means to make money. I don’t look at and admire media props as cash-cow objects, or a means to replicate them for profit, but as things of beauty and power that I want to have around me to enrich my environment and my life.

When some piece really excites me, I want to make one for myself, of course, or even for someone else who really want one, but I reject the idea of making many duplicates of it because by doing so, it lessens it’s uniqueness and drains the artistic energy of having something really special.

Of course, having a movie or show that elicits a context for a piece of art is very compelling for most people, and without that accepted association, most people can not judge a piece on it’s own merits. Being educated in art can widen you’re appreciation of a piece based on the skill and beauty or power that it holds on it’s own.

I can appreciate the amazing skills with which so many of you create and recreate with, but making molds and endless copies of what you’ve built just seems like pimping out yourself to me. I hope I don’t offend anyone by saying that, but that is just how I feel about it. If a million people have the same piece, it looses most of its value to me. On the other hand, I do appreciate commercial collections, but that is another matter.

That is why I like making most of my own props instead of buying them from someone else. First, I love the challenge of trying to do it myself and when I have completed it, I know my true heart and soul is lodged in it. That means a lot to me; even if it isn’t screen-accurate or perfect in some people’s eyes. If it’s something I really, really just have to have and can not attempt to do myself, I might purchase it, but more than likely, I would just do without.

So if I had the money and space to just buy original pieces or concept art, associated with a franchise or not, that is what I would love. Unfortunately, I don’t have the means to really do so.

I see this thread has gone down the road of "concept" as Original Art Manufacturer (OAM as a pun on OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer, hehe) but there are a lot of "Art of XYZ movie" books out there with real concept art of props that never made it into the movies, I thought you meant that, and I guess there is a market for those; just ask Hasbro how many "concept" stormtroopers and Darth Vaders have been sold, with designs that never left the page; as 13doctorwho pointed out, the lightsaber is an excellent example of props that lie in the line between movie prop, concept and OAM-stuff. I have some of those "Art of..." books and some designs there I would love to see made, or better, have on display, maybe you can start with a few of those? like the concept shields for Captain America, or the Concept Hammers for Thor, god know how many concept communicators for star trek are in the books, I think that is uncharted territory when it comes to props.

Since the original question was, "Is there a market for concept props?" let me jump in here and give you an educated opinion.

If by "market" for concept props you mean anything "profitable" then the answer is an emphatic, NO.

Now, you'll see a bunch of think-pieces written on this before this thread is over and any number of uneducated fan-boy opinions, but the fact of the matter is you're talking about the discretionary dollars of collectors. Those dollars come at a premium and collectors want that which they see on screen, simple as that. It's the emotional attachment; that link between the film, it's characters and that particular prop that completes the sentimental connection that translates into a need to have a given piece on one's shelf.

Sure, you'll get a stray bird now and again who say they'll buy anything for the art if it all, etc. etc but those sentiments almost never transfer into dollars. Figments of an artists imagination that have no film by which to anchor them end up being paper weights. Take it from a guy who's been at this for 2 decades...anyone who tells you otherwise is guessing.

A prop maker known for quality props with an excruciating eye for detail is the only way to carve a spot for yourself in this market.

-Rylo

Note: Concept sabers are just about the only exception to the rule. Even then; those artists who've opened up a niche are known for stellar work. The point is, even an established builder would have a hard time selling their uber cool idea for a 'space gun' that had no relationship to anything.

I'm curious to see your work...a thread inquiring about the market really should reflect what you're capable of building in the first place. It would certainly get the creative opinions flowing.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back