Is there a "bad" super glue?

Some dollar store stuff I've tried was very thinned out. One didn't work at all. When I took it back the clerk refused to take it, so I squirted it all over the counter, and told her 'you better hope it doesn't work'.

Other stuff worked just fine. What I want is some that doesn't dry out in the tube. You might as well use it once and throw the rest away because it'll be hard the next time.

Well, I would suggest avoiding this glue for delicate projects. You're supposed to add water to the parts prior to bonding. I tried using this on parts of my Darth Vader chestbox. Well, as the glue started to set it foamed and expanded which meant essentially having to force remove, sand, repaint, and use a different glue. Big waste of time and it caused me to damage the parts I had to separate.

The glue you have pictured is a urethane based glue not a CA glue, and yes it foams and expands and it's clearly stated on the instructions... It's some of the best multi purpose glue out there for raw stage build ups... I would highly suggest staying far away from urethane glues on painted or finished props due to the fact it does foam and expand while curing...

CA glue also has a tendency to wreck finished surfaces as well with a white cloud effect...

For styrene, I prefer either testors liquid cement (in the black bottle, not the orange tube), tamiya cement (in the orange bottle) or tenax 7r. They actually melt the styrene and fuse it together. That will give you the absolute strongest bond as the two pieces actually become one.

-Fred

Hey gig, try ProWeld for styrene

it's great stuff

it's thin as water, exposed cement evaporates, and it fuses the styrene
no glue globs!

and a $6 bottle lasts forever

Careful with that styrene glue, though. Since it actually melts the plastic, it can easily hurt any details on your model.

Oh, and some of the cheaper glues I've used seem very hard to sand down, though that's the only problem I've had with them.

Careful with that styrene glue, though. Since it actually melts the plastic, it can easily hurt any details on your model.

Oh, and some of the cheaper glues I've used seem very hard to sand down, though that's the only problem I've had with them.

I'm pretty sure any superglue will be too hard to sand if you let it sit too long. If I'm using it to fill gaps/pinholes I usually hit it with accelerator and then sand almost immediately.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back