Iron man paint color

I will receive my MK 43 bust in a few weeks but still don't know what colors to use , especially here in europe. I also thought of painting the faceplate mirror chrome gold , does anyone know how that works ? Would be really cool if someone can tell me which opportunities of red and gold I have here in europe ( Germany ) and how to paint real mirror chrome gold...
Thanks in advance!

Weathering scratches can be done a few ways. If you have a dark primer underneath, sometimes it's just enough to scuff up the surface paint with sandpaper or brillo pads to scratch down and let the dark show through. Other methods would just be painting the scratches, or a combination. There are a lot of youtube videos showing various techniques for it.

I just finished painting mine last night, and can add the following thoughts to mirror some people's thoughts previously. I used the standard Toreador Red and Sunburst Gold for the mains, and just a Ford Silver Metallic for those. I didn't have any issues with paint peeling, even with very suboptimal conditions - very cold, and sometimes even rainy levels of humidity outside. Since I didn't have a choice but to paint, I sprayed my primer on the parts indoors (yeah, don't do that. Pets start walking in circles after a while.. kidding, but seriously, don't do as I do). The paint did have flashing issues based on a) how much paint was left in the can, and b) the temperature. I found that some of the areas, I actually had to retouch with a quick burst over it once back inside when things had warmed up. Still nowhere near perfect and with a lot more prep time, and better conditions it would look really great.

Back to the peeling though: I didn't have the luxury of overnight cure times with most of the pieces. Many of them, were masked off for gold accents within a few hours of being laid down. I also only managed about 5-10 minutes between coats. The Perfect Match Dupilicor dried to the touch that fast. Surely not fully cured, but workable. I used blue painters tape from Wal-mart, which was about what, 3 bucks a roll? Zero issues at all. The only peel I got, which was only one speck, was after I switched to a different tape, and I was worried when I started laying it, as it felt way tackier than the Wal-mart brand. Sure enough, I did fleck off a tiny bit when peeling that back. It might not have been an issue with full cure times. But the cheap stuff worked well with crisp lines and no worries about peeling even with the rush job I did.

TLDR: give yourself enough prep time, and follow the directions, and you'll be fine.

Also, for my Mark 7 suit, I used:

Duplicolor Filler Primer - 2 cans
Duplicolor Perfect Match Toreador Red (8 oz) - 3 cans
Duplicolor Perfect Match Sunburst Gold Metallic (8oz) - 1 can
Duplicolor Perfect Match Silver Metallic (8oz) - 1 can
Duplicolor Perfect Match Clear Coat (8oz) - 2 cans

I only bought two cans of clear, and one went wonky after being cold, so plan accordingly. I ended up with 3-4 coats of paint on most pieces. I would've liked another coat of red at least on everything, but time crunch didn't allow, and no point really laying it on over sub-optimum prep anyway. The gold faceplate on the helmet got a couple extra coats though. I forgot to finish off the red at the top of mine after I cut it to remove, and ended up with overspray a little from that when I went back, even taped off. So I went back through and sanded it back down smooth and hit it with another couple of coats. Still enough Gold left for another layer on every gold accent, and the silver was barely touched.

This is such a great thread! I just have one big problem. Litteraly any of the good choices of Red spray paint in this thread, is US only spray paint. And for some reason it is like impossible to get any company to ship Aerosol cans to Europe, well, Denmark where I am located.

I have not seen a single good option for us europeans, trying to paint the red part of iron man suits, busts and helmets :(

I am used to airbrushing, so I nobody knows a good Spray can, I could airbrush a good matching color. I love the duplicolor Dark Cherry Metallic, but just dont know an EU alternative. Spray can prefered over airbrush ofcourse.

Need help. I've used Duplicolor Dark Cherry Metallic Red but when I give the armor foam piece a stress test the paint cracks. Ive tried Plastidip, Rosco Flexbond, and Angelus leather paint as primers/sealants. The paint just cracks when under stress/pressure...

Does anyone have good advice?

I use 6mm EVA foam, heat seal prior to assembly, 2 coats if red plastidip, then Krylon for plastic, 1-2 coats, then 1 coat of plastidip metalizer to add the gold or silver metallic flakes, then 1 coat of gloss polyurethane. Normal wear does not crack, if I get some stress wrinkles I just hit with the heat gun lightly and they disappear. I don't like auto paint because it's enamel which does crack on stress bends, and the dry time is longer.

Is there a way for automopaint to not crack? Id use different paint but Duplicolor just seems the closest hue of red to the films

As long as it's not enamel it should flex some...enamel is a hard paint.
You could always air brush it with acrylic, you can make your colors. Air brush kits are very affordable.

I've been testing different mixtures of Angelus acrylic paints...it's flexible, doesnt peel or crack...but not quite getting the shade of red I'd like

I’m going to redo a marvel legends Iron-man helmet. The red is no problem but, I am interested, has anyone gold leafed a face plate?

I have just tried Duplicolor Barcelona red on a spare helmet I had here. I really like the color .. but I'm still gonna try Toreador Red, seems much darker and truer to a lot of pics of the suit.

I plan on using it with Sunburst Gold too .. but still need to look into DupliColor Gold Metalic tomorrow.

large.gif

large.gif
Exactly what I use as well...Toreador Red and Sunburst Gold. I think for the silver I used Arctic Silver but will check when I get home tonite...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back