Iron Man MK XLV 3D Print

Re: Iron Man MK IV Pepakura Build

Nice! Can't wait to see more progress on this build! Reminds me of when I did a fiberglass pep build. It's too cold to work outside during the winter months, so I switched to foam. Maybe one day I try pep again. Bonus points for having the focus and drive to finish a pep build, those can take a while!

Thx :). Yes I'm going to see this through. It gets tough sometimes, cutting and pasting :).

But when you see the progress you just can't stop. I can't wait to start fiberglassing.

Right, another update.

This time I have a completed shoulder bell (L). It just needs the supports. And I need to figure out how they actually match. You can see it in the pep file, but they won't stay in place. So that is something for after the fiberglassing.

Photo 03-03-16 15 50 08.jpg

I also started again on a new Back piece. This time I started at the spine and working my way to the sides.
This is where I am so far.

Photo 03-03-16 15 49 45.jpgPhoto 03-03-16 15 49 38.jpg

Looking good! A couple of warnings though, just from experience I got from my suit.

1. When you fiberglass the shoulders make sure the curves line up so they still fit together. One of my shoulder pieces is warped and doesn't fit the other one.
2. The "walls" on each side of the spine tend to want to bend inward, and it ruins the shape of the back. The support pieces for the back help, but it still needs a close eye.

My Arc reactor arrived! I had one 3D printed. The center is clear PLA and has room for around 20+ leds.

It sits on top of the chest now, as the cilinder is a bit smaller. If I cut this out, it will fit perfectly. Can't wait to start on this :)

12782552_10153950663947290_1373567792_n.jpg

12822157_10153950678802290_47279294_n.jpg12782264_10153950678247290_1269202234_n.jpg

Credits for the Arc reactor:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:32274/#made

I did not print the base as this was intended for wearing under a T-shirt. It was also too wide with the base.

Last edited:

Finally, I'm finished with the back.

12802841_1119825568050911_2393216573327537840_n.jpg12814073_1119825554717579_4114407354582230359_n.jpg

It just needs 2 more supports from the file and I might add a few of my own. I see a few spots were the paper is too weak or starts to bend.

Next up will be the brace I think.

Is there anyone who can show me a pick of the rear of their MKIV suit?

I just made the spine, but not sure how it all fits. I have reference pictures of scale models and busts, but not from an actual suit made from foam or pepakura.

The spine looks different from those I can see in these pics. And maybe mention which piece goes where (Neck, back, abs, cod)

Edit:

I also scaled the spine to the same size as the other parts, but they seem a bit small compared to the back.

This is coming along great! That's a wonderful fold for the back. I don't think I ever included the spine on my build. I did the pep fold, but then decided to not include it

Thanks. I don't think I should leave it out as it seams to be a nice detail to the back.

No one who has some insight on this?

I'm glad to see you've forged ahead. Any more problems or have you gotten the hang of it? Looks like you're getting to be a pepakura master. :)

-Rog

I'm glad to see you've forged ahead. Any more problems or have you gotten the hang of it? Looks like you're getting to be a pepakura master. :)

-Rog

No problems so far :). I didn't realise the part I was stuck at was supposed to be valley shaped. After I figured that out, it was straight sailing :)

I wouldn't call myself a master just yet :p

Haven't posted for a while. I completed the abs and added all supports. I'm now starting on the helmet and got the faceplate finished:

544217_1127156807317787_345006826024101925_n.jpg

This is looking better and better! Can't wait to see it all painted. Are you going to weather it or leave it shiny and new looking?

- - - Updated - - -

My faceplate came out really flat http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160317/685d322f0b3b4098afe269b74bc97466.jpg

Envoyé de mon SM-G530W en utilisant Tapatalk

One piece of advice, build the helmet all in one piece, glue it together before you resin it. If you don't I guarantee the pieces won't match up and fit together again, and unlike foam, you can't just bend it back to shape. With helmets with multiple pieces you want to resin it all in one piece and when its all done, then use a dremel to cut the pieces out that you need to.

This is looking better and better! Can't wait to see it all painted. Are you going to weather it or leave it shiny and new looking?

Thanks man :).

I'll probably leave it shiny and new. The paint is still far away but I'm keen to start an that :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back