Iron Man: Mark III - 3D Printed

A few more updates.

I've gotten most of the arm painted. The red ran a bit on the shoulder of the bicep without me realizing it. Not sure how much I can do about it though without sanding it as I've already clear coated the piece. I'm hoping a little weathering will hide it for now.

The hands turned out great aside from a bit of a mishap on the hand plate due to inexperience with clear coats but I recovered it.

I also painted the arc reactor. I think I might do a dry brush on some of the edges to make things pop a bit more. I'm hoping to get the LEDs installed tonight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397662892.368167.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397662920.477626.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397662962.999974.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397663003.049967.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397663019.016273.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I really like working with it. I've had good results so far. The next thing I want to try doing with it is mixing it with wood glue for the initial smoothing coat. I tried a similar recipe for my foam costume and it turned out really well.

Thanks GhostMinion!

Yeah, I'm planning on spending Friday getting the missile launcher working. I've been having trouble getting the microcontroller I have to drive the servo. I'm pretty sure all the code is right so I'm hoping it's a battery problem. Trying to do electronics work without an oscilloscope or a multimeter is a huge pain in the butt!

Some more updates from yesterday. I finished running wire through the glove and added some Velcro to keep the hand plate on.

I also did some wiring of some LEDs for the arc reactor and my Repulsor.

All in all I'm really happy with how the arm is turning out. Tonight I need to finish up the arc reactor chamber and get it sewn into my chest. Also hoping to get the missile launcher painted and ready for mounting.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397783333.171181.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397783362.909364.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397783384.258745.jpg

Well I got the arm finished as best I could. I wasn't able to finish the rocket launcher mechanism but it was installed. Everything got a little rushed at the end.

I had a lot of fun wearing the arm and met a few RPFers.

The arm was surprisingly comfortable to wear but the mobility was way more limited then I expected. A solvable issue though with supports in the right places. I also had some problems keeping the arc reactor up but again I could have easily solved this with more supports.

I experienced my first really gnarly costume injury. I rushed the battery placement for the Repulsor and just had it sitting in the arm. Wound up with a huge electric burn on my arm. Two yellow and black holes around 2-3 cm in size. Went to emerg and have to get it checked again on Monday. No big D lol.

For now ill be putting the costume on hold for a bit to work on my families Halloween costumes. Once those are finished though ill be right back into this costume. I think this one will be quite a journey but it's going to be so bad ass when it's all done.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398037307.873665.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398037360.357211.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398037385.120822.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398037406.271578.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398037426.131669.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398037449.821646.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398037473.684607.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398037498.354202.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398037512.160149.jpg

Here's another picture of the arm I don't think I shared. Shows the area inbetween the arms a bit more.

I sewed some layers of vinyl together and velcroed it in the back.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398092594.012715.jpg

Thank you! It's no where near Surreal clean but I'm really happy with the end result.

Now I want to build the inner arm so I have somewhere to mount things to and finish the rocket launcher.

Have to make some headway on Halloween first though.

Any updates on your 3D printed suit?

Also just wanted to say Thank you for all of your efforts in producing the awesome pep files. I'm sure it has definitely put a smile on quite a few kids faces with all the suits out there made from them.

Thanks TKCC71, no I abandoned the 3d printed suit. It just wasn't worth the time. This summer though I'm planning on doing a revamp of the pep files for my Mark 3 and start doing a foam build with 3d printed detail bits.

Wow. I was actually working on making a 3D printed suit from your original pep files. Here's the arm.
IMG_5881.small.png

I was going to do a writeup on adapting pepakura models for 3D printing (probably still will at some point) but it looks like you've done a much better job of making everything fit together nicely.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back