Iron Man Mark I Chest Piece?

Dude, I gotta ask, can you do a tutorial on this ASAP? I would make those parts if I had to use junk to do it. I just need to know how to put it together. Oh and the picture of the materials, one of the prongs that holds on the ring with the holes is missing. Just sayin.
2 more things:
1 Whats the height on it from bottom to top?
2 How much did that cost you from buying the materials to the end product?

Its 1" thick, but really depends on the leds you use if you go with surface mount leds you can take a half an inch off, circular dimesions across is 3 1/2". i spent probably 30 to 40 bucks but its enough to make up too 5 or more of them. I'll try my best to make a tutorial, but im a very busy person..lol oh and the center ring plate is there its just side ways so you can see the bend..its almost barely noticable

Last edited:
Hey, I'm pretty new to the forums but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents, here is my MkI that I'm almost happy with (still planning to improve the ring with the holes in it).

12 led's in parallel, with (i think) 100 ohm resisitors, powered by a 9V D cell battery.

Oh, and does anyone have any decent reference pics for the whiplash arc reactor, and the triangular (MkIV?) arc reactor in the new movie.

Awesome work! I've been looking for pics of Whiplash's reactor as well...can't find any decent ones yet. :( Hopefully someone will post some up! :D

Hey, I'm pretty new to the forums but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents, here is my MkI that I'm almost happy with (still planning to improve the ring with the holes in it).

12 led's in parallel, with (i think) 100 ohm resisitors, powered by a 9V D cell battery.

Oh, and does anyone have any decent reference pics for the whiplash arc reactor, and the triangular (MkIV?) arc reactor in the new movie.

Looks really good i like the glow of the leds, the center ring was a pain to make but i found the easiest way to make it was by drawing a circle of the ring then marking the each hole in the ring then once thats done space out the length and drill another hole right underneath it, using a drill press just run the bit from the top hole directly down to the second hole then you pretty much got it, you ust have to go slow and steady and measure alittle, thats how i did it and it worked out pretty good. heres a pic with super paint skills....

Cheers for that Konan, I don't have access to a pillar drill at the moment, so finishing that middle ring may get put on the back burner until I have some better tools. In the meantime I'm going to start looking for Whiplash arc components this weekend, the brackets look mildly familliar, they're probably not a found item but I can't help feeling like I've seen something similar before. Love how it has a serial port at the bottom, Tony's probably has in built wi-fi and a micro-usb :p

Cheers for that Konan, I don't have access to a pillar drill at the moment, so finishing that middle ring may get put on the back burner until I have some better tools. In the meantime I'm going to start looking for Whiplash arc components this weekend, the brackets look mildly familliar, they're probably not a found item but I can't help feeling like I've seen something similar before. Love how it has a serial port at the bottom, Tony's probably has in built wi-fi and a micro-usb :p

lol yea and his suit talks whiplash just lights up pretty....:lol Well goodluck on the ring hope it comes out good, everything i used to make the whiplash arc reactor were basic materials from the hardware store, plexi glass, aluminum, screws, screen mesh things like that, if you want some of my pictures to work off of let me know i took pictures of the build process. Take care!:thumbsup

also not sure where your located but checkout Harbor Freight tools if you need something simple like a drill press/pillar drill there super cheap and decent quality.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back