Independence Day: Resurgence (Post-release)

​it's been a long time coming, personally I'm not expecting to much from this, mainly due to the fact the plot sounds somewhat week, but on the upside the special effects will be awesome...I really loved the original which is why I will go see it, but not expecting to much

I actually really liked it. It's a shame it's getting bashed. I mean the original wasn't a masterpiece. I thought this was on the same level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I felt like the original was meant to be a modern day parody of big budget action movies. but, somewhere along the way it gained a heart and soul, which most big budget movies lack.

Seeing cousin eddie save the day was a big moment for 1997 me as it came out of nowhere and turned into one of the best hell yeah moments of the movie ;o)

I felt like the original was meant to be a modern day parody of big budget action movies. but, somewhere along the way it gained a heart and soul, which most big budget movies lack.

Seeing cousin eddie save the day was a big moment for 1997 me as it came out of nowhere and turned into one of the best hell yeah moments of the movie ;o)

the original was funny at times. Where is randy quaid these days?

It was pretty much what I was expecting. The first wasn't an epic piece of film making. It was just a fun, cheesy movie; just like this one. I am confused by anyone who was expecting anything more.

Yeah I enjoyed it. I was just expecting an action movie. Also, I went in with no idea how they were going to fight a 3000 mile long ship but I though they handled that in a fun way.

As far as the President and the order to destroy the first ship I thought that was pretty realistic. She took the opinions of her cabinet, the Saturn base had been destroyed and they know there are horrible aliens out to destroy the planet. That was their best weapon and they did not want it destroyed plus the ship just sat there. Now, it was the wrong decision but i can understand why they shot first.

It's is almost an exact reselling of the original minus uploading a computer virus. If you've seen Enders Game, then you have pretty much seen this film. They copied so much. I will also say, poor man's Thor needs to be punched harder, and much more often in the face.

He needs punch for dating Miley Cyrus too lol. All movies are pandering to the Chinese these days since its their money funding them.

While I didn't feel as much connection to the characters as I did in the first film, I did enjoy the movie overall. It was a popcorn flick that introduced a lot of new mythology to the universe that I thought was really cool. I admit the Judd Hirsch subplot was pretty bad and could have easily been dropped, but that was my biggest gripe with the movie. I had fun, and I would certainly go see a third to see where they go with it.

Where to begin with this mess?

until we actually have one, all these women presidents in movies and tv series to me comes off as a little goofy. especially since they killed her off and didn't let her actually do anything but make a mistake that could have saved the earth.

NONE of the new characters piqued my interest at all. I didn't care about the bromance brothers. the chinese pilot. her dad. jayden smith of the movies.
the only ones who kind of felt like they where there where the presidents kid, the african warlord (who was the coolest new character in the movie), and the meak assistant turned warrior.

None of the old characters really connected emotionally with each other. there was one scene with david and the president and you noticed all the soldiers around them starting to listen. i wish the movie was more like that rather than setup, get to point a, get to point b, kill shot....celebrate win.

There was JUST enough time to spend with these characters to get all the expoisition out of the way, and then they where put into action. boom.
With the original movie, they gave you just enough to connect the dots, showed you some of their home life, gave you a little chance to get to know them better. not so much here.

There was NO reason for Mrs.Will smith to be in this movie. Killing off smith, and the wife felt like it was a big Frig U from the producers TO Will smith for not doing this movie. I also like the jump of careers from stripper to MD LOL.

The other thing I didn't like was the lack of the father son relation ship between David and his father. Although, I assume this was because his father wanted kids, and that's what broke the relationship apart. he practically ignored the father the whole movie and didn't seem to dwell too much on if he was dead or alive.

We got a center named after the presidents wife, a hangar named after will smith, but NO mention of russel case, the hero who saved the world?

I guess the best part of the movie was seeing how humanity rebuilt itself after the destruction stronger, and better. but not much of that before it was all destroyed again.
The best parts of the movie went to judd hirsch and brent spiner by far. you didn't even need jeff gouldblum for this one, other than to see what the old characters had been up to for the last 20 years.

Just like Episode 7, it seemed like WAY too much of the same, not enough NEW with the old characters.. .too much focus on new characters that we don't care about....and no real feel good hero moments.

No wonder they didn't screen it for critics.

and this Chinese Pandering has to stop. those characters did nothing, added nothing, and if you follow movies, it was real obvious what they where doing.
the audience is smarter than this, hollywood....maybe that's why your summer blockbusters are flopping lately.

Also, didn't they establish that all the ships stopped working once they destroyed the queen?

how was the giant ship able to lift off then?

I realize that it couldn't be exploded on the earths surface, but still..

Also....interesting line about 'i don't think the earth could survive another attack..'

It was pretty much what I was expecting. The first wasn't an epic piece of film making. It was just a fun, cheesy movie; just like this one. I am confused by anyone who was expecting anything more.

I could honestly say that for all the faults of the first movie, it's serious moments felt a lot more genuine than anything Resurgence tries to pass off as serious moments. The movie knew how to slow things down so we could connect with the characters. There are no moments like that in Resurgence.

Also, didn't they establish that all the ships stopped working once they destroyed the queen?

how was the giant ship able to lift off then?

I realize that it couldn't be exploded on the earths surface, but still..

Also....interesting line about 'i don't think the earth could survive another attack..'

The orb told them that if the queen was killed the giant ship would leave.

there was so much coming at me, i must have missedthat.

I did notice they set up the sequels nicely by saying there was more than one queen and hive.

all these women presidents in movies and tv series to me comes off as a little goofy

Like a broken record...

and this Chinese Pandering has to stop. those characters did nothing, added nothing, and if you follow movies, it was real obvious what they where doing.

One pilot and the head of the base did not really do anything to break the movie. Adding Chinese movie stars where those characters might just be white Americans does't make the movie any worse.

Yes, the orb said when a queen is killed the ship gets recalled to another queen.

I could honestly say that for all the faults of the first movie, it's serious moments felt a lot more genuine than anything Resurgence tries to pass off as serious moments. The movie knew how to slow things down so we could connect with the characters. There are no moments like that in Resurgence.

This is a good point. The original had some moments of reflection where it seems there was none of that in this film. Basically just almost non-stop action scenes!

I don't think they'd ever do it, but it would have been cool for Emmerich to put Independence Day and Stargate in the same universe, especially since the aliens targeted NORAD/Cheyenne Mt. in each movie.

The set up for the 3rd movie is cool though. I love me some space battles!

I dont understand how you can think that was cool. It was so spoonfed it was ridiculous. Im pissed I took a girl to see this movie, because it cost me double. It was SO AWFUL. The only thing that was semi-cool about this movie was how the alien queen looked in the end, the CGI was really good. Everything was a rehash, nothing made sense, even regarding the smallest things like bill pullmans character, the awful writing for pretty much EVERY character, the pandering to the chinese, which frankly Im sick of. Like others have mentioned, the writing was abysmal, and the attempts at humor were SO awful. I dont get how Roland Emmerich gets funding for his movies. Whoever green lit that script should be fired. :facepalm

And diet thor is the worst, but Will Smith 2.0 is even worse. Its like Diet Thor knew he was the star of the movie and nothing bad could happen to him. It was SO cheesy, and not in a good way either, it was just bad. I wouldnt even pirate this movie.

Your comments are about the whole movie. What I meant about the "setup" was if there was a 3rd movie it seems it would be about the humans teaming uo with the other alien survivors to fight the bad guys in space or on the hidden planet.

Everything was a rehash

So you did not see any trailers for the movie?

nothing made sense, even regarding the smallest things like bill pullmans character

I can only assume you mean the visions? This was explained for him and the other characters by the scientist. Their close contact caused the aliens telepathy to bleed into their consciousness.

the pandering to the chinese

2 actors and they destroyed Asia. Not sure I'd call that pandering

Its like Diet Thor knew he was the star of the movie and nothing bad could happen to him

MOST action movies the stars act like this. I await all the posts for the next Fast and Furious movie on why the characters drive without concern.

Hey, if you did not like the movie no problem but you only have yourself to blame if you were surprised it was just a summer action flick. :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back