Inception snow costume - info shared and needed

I found a couple sites to get the gloves yesterday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed until they get in the mail as to wether they are both (mine & my wife's) the 2010 year model, and not a newer version. I think they'll be fine, but sometimes you don't know...

I also ordered both pairs of goggles, as well as the snap-hook & dee closures for the jackets. We put the boots on our christmas lists, so we may be getting those from the extended fam.:love

I'm not waiting (or willing to pay) for someone to make a replica of the jackets/pants, and I found a local place in downtown Seattle that has all the material and hardware (other than the hook & dee) to make them. Heavy duty wind-proof/ water-proof/ breathable materials, insulating materials, linings, ribbed material for sleeve cuffs... They even have the seam sealing stuff to keep the jacket water proof! I will do a little more research before I actually purchase the materials, though.

Does anyone have anything on the hats or thermal shirts they wear? I spent several hours looking for something close to that waffle shirt, but basically didn't come up with anything other than long-johns. That shirt looks really thick; the size of the waffle weave looks way bigger than typical thermal type clothing...

-Alex

I'm not sure the boots are the right ones either. But the nose stripes are the same.

The white boots seem kind of rare. Perhaps some black ones were painted.

The jacket and pants were completely custom made by the company that constructs our licensed Star Trek outfits. I can ask them if they based it off of another found jacket the next time I speak with or see them.

OT...they wouldn't have happened to make the parka Simon Pegg was wearing for the Star Trek movie, would they?

On topic, I noticed a co-worker had a duck canvas parka on that had those closures.

Those hooks in the armpits holding the leather straps looks like child safety seat hooks.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those leather straps connected with the d-ring and snap hooks part of the rucksack?
I'll be making one of those as well...

I'll probably be getting the Kamik's (whether we get them for Christmas or not). They are pretty easy to get in white, and look the part well enough to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those leather straps connected with the d-ring and snap hooks part of the rucksack?
I'll be making one of those as well...

I'll probably be getting the Kamik's (whether we get them for Christmas or not). They are pretty easy to get in white, and look the part well enough to me.

You are correct re: the rucksack. Good luck with your build... can't wait to see how it turns out!

Did a google. Ebay has a variety of Structure coats. One of them would be great for Snake Plissken.

Found one with the same hooks. [ 'D' side is slightly different.]

No active ebays links, so;

V4134 Authentic Structure Outerwear Brown Denim Insulated Coat, Mens L

EDIT:
As I understand it. The old Structure is now Express Men. Sears sells their own "Structure" brand of no relation.

Vintage Ralph Lauren Polo Country Metal Clasp Jacket

Picture251-1.jpg

http://zone7style.blogspot.com/2011/03/vintage-ralph-lauren-polo-country-metal.html

junya-watanabe-mackintosh-fallwinter11-2.jpg

fireman’s clip jacket. made with nomex. Clips seem backwards.
tumblr_lgn2902ZY91qbtiplo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah - I mentioned earlier in the thread that Ohio Travel Bag also has the hook & dee set, but you can't buy them there unless you are a business. You need to go over to their sister site, hardwareelf.com like I did, to make smaller retail purchases.

Today was a big day:
The goggles came in!
I bought all the material and hardware for the jackets and pants. I also bought the white leather to be used for the jackets and backpack, as well as most of the hardware for the backpack. I'm gonna end up scratch-building the snaphook for the backpack strap, because I can't find anything like it.

-Alex

30 dollar minimum at Ohio Travel Bag.

What did you decide on for the material?

Like I mentioned, it looks like a kids safety seat buckle. The one that attaches to the car. Some car makers used to have kits to install them.

I found these at the wreckers because I'm 'restoring' a 1940s backpack. Or troll the back alleys for throw-aways.

attachment.php

Interesting...
OTB told me that they only sell to businesses. I guess it depends on who answers your e-mail. Either way, their sister site hardwareelf.com doesn't have a minimum, so if you only wanted to make one jacket it would be cheaper to go there.

As for the materials:
I went with Ultrex 2-ply for the shell. It's wind and water proof, and still breathable. The inside of the hood will be another kind of wind/water proof material called Soft Shell. The grey-ish part for the lower arms will be another color of Ultrex; it's close, but I think it will look perfect after it gets a little dirty like it is on screen.
They will be insulated with Thinsulate 210. These will be warm!
The lining is regular type, in white.

The white leather is Elk, and it is gorgeous. It will be used for the pads that the hook& dees sit on, as well as for the backpack straps and base.
I got some heavy white duck canvas for the body of the backpack.

The only thing I still need for the jackets and pants is the shiny white material for the shoulders and chest pocket flap. I ordered some samples last night, so I should have everything for them here in a week or two.

I'm gonna scratch build the child safety snaps for the backpack, because I want to get some more experience working with metal, it seems fun, and I'd rather not settle for a close enough or scrounge for hours to find them when I'd rather make them anyways. I got 1/8" by 1&1/2" flat steel bar.

I have spent hours looking for any shirt like the ones they wear and found nothing, so I ended up buying a cotton waffle weave blanket, which I will turn into the thermal shirts.

I think I'll start a build thread for my progress once all the parts are here, in order to keep this one on track...

-Alex

Yeah, that's a big waffle on the shirts. Reminds me of dish rags.

I work on my cars a lot. I'd rather scrounge than scratch build stuff when ever possible. But that hook should be easy enough. You just need some 'springy' metal for the safety clip.

I've found the hook is part of a government program called the LATCH system, which stands for Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (some cars manufactured between 1999 and 2002 also have the system).

The LATCH system is designed to make installation of a car seat easier and safer by attaching the car seat directly to anchors permanently attached to the vehicle instead of using the seat belt to secure the seat. Although only front-facing infant and toddler car seats are required to have both the upper and lower attachments, all child safety seats with a five-point safety harness (including rear-facing infant car seats) are required to have the lower anchors

If you own a vehicle that doesn't have the anchoring system, consider having your car retrofitted (check with your local auto dealership for information on cost and feasibility).

So there should install kits for every car out there somewhere.

Here's a couple, from an old site;

Tether Anchor Kits: Tether anchor hardware can be obtained free of charge from any Ford dealer.

Dealership Installation Program: For 1989 and later models, Ford will pay their dealers to install tether anchors (Program R7C).

Expedition, 97-99 model years
Front seat: TA - drilled hole in lower cross bar of seat cushion (notes - instructions say to remove vehicle seat, but this is not necessary. Anchor can be accessed w/out seat removal).

2nd row center: F75Z 78613D74-AA Drill dimple in floor.

2nd row outboard: F75Z 78613D74-AA (2) Drill dimples along front edge of load floor.

3rd row: NONE

1998 Mercury Sable

Tether Anchor Kits: Tether anchor hardware can be obtained free of charge from any Mercury dealer.

Dealership Installation Program: For 1989 and later models, Mercury will pay their dealers to install tether anchors (Program R7C).

Sable 96-99 Model Years
Anchor Point Number/Type: (3) Drilled holes in rear filler panel

Tether retrofit Kit name: CSS Tether Belt Anchor Kit: 8mm Bolt, anchor bracket with weld nut (rear center) plate and nut (rear outboard), washer, template

2nd Row Center: F6DZ 54613D74-A

2nd Row Outboard: F6DZ 54613D74-A

The E-Z-On Model #100S Seat Mount has four that look close.

http://www.ezonpro.com/instructions.shtml

Hey guys, new here. Looking for info on the pack in the snow scene. I see the latch info, but can't seem to find anything on the make/model of the rucksack itself. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hey, folks :). Just ran across Inception again and again fell in love with that snow scene. Has anyone gotten closer with sourcing the coats? I guess they're custom?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back