IM Mk3 Plastic Coated Foam (WIP) update pg 10

Recently inspired to give plastic coating another go on some small pieces after seeing this thread and drooling. Came out a bit better than last effort and I found that using extremely small amounts at a time as well as using a fresh brush and cup each time really prevented some of the issues I was having previously but still not perfect.

My issue comes with small bubbles, after I whip together A and B of smooth on 65d it can be a bit frothy and between that and brushing it on there's a tendency for little bubbles to form. I tried to sand lightly but due to the piece being flexible still and also not wanting to sand through the thin layer of rather expensive product I just put on its not coming out super smooth. I noticed you listed a product of plastic filler is that like a plastic spot filler or is it a typical spot putty that you put on with your primer layers? You also said you use auto paint so I'm assuming not typical rattle cans in which case how do you apply that? Basically how do I get that baby bottom, mirror/glass, James Bond shaken not stirred smooth result you do?

Could you list a in depth list of products and procedures or even a video? Your result is amazing and I think everyone would appreciate some visual points from an apparent master of the technique.

The plastic filler is bumper filler you just add a activator rubs down really easy I'm doing same process as on this thread after seeing it done I was inspired :) and it's hard and takes time but finish is worth it :) image.jpg. I use spray paint get it from halfords in the uk it's car paint hope that helps a little

Another thread subscription, there are so many talented builds going on I'm spending more time watching than doing. I echo everyone, this is amazing work. Direct question to everyone, how hard wearing is foam armour? I scratch built some quick proton packs once from insulation foam, they lasted the night ok but I don't think they would last much more than that. I don't mind the minor repairs that have to be made every now and then to costumes but I can't help thinking that foam armour would tear around joints etc. thoughts anyone?

hey i've been following you since you started and it doesnt stop getting awesome,
how did you do the light for the eyes?, and how good can you see??

Hi

I just made this account beacuse of this thread, I gotta say impressive work

sometime in the near future im planning to make the mark42 , things is Im not sure which route to follow: paper or foam
I really want to know how is it possible to make such clean cuts of foam like yours

Also , what tips would you give me in order to get your results when working with foam, because all of the other foam projects I can easily see some imperfections in the surfaces and/or in the shape of the pieces, I would really like to know what does it take to eliminate these problems

thanks!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back