I Want to Reclaim My Old Paint Bottles... Suggestions?

Rahn420

I did a search here, but have not come across what I'm looking for...

I have accumulated a collection of glass paint and airbrush bottles with old, dried paint in them.

I would like to reclaim these bottles (I keep buying new ones).

Is there some secret elixir that I can pour in the bottles and have it magically dissolve the paint?

These are not just empty bottles with residue left over on the sides and bottom.

Some are bottles that the thinner just evaporated away. So, what's at the bottom can be pretty thick.

I believe, for the most part, they are all Tamiya acrylic paints.

I would also be interested in a source for cap gaskets.

Lacquer thinner is one (smelly and volatile and so evaporates quickly, but can dissolve even plastic)
Household bleach also (smelly, slower)
I've heard that brake fluid can also dissolve or soften paint...

Recommend 'carving out' as much residue as possible before soaking. Also, consider what you'll do with the liquid after you clean up the bottles. won't be something you can pour into the 'garden'. I've dumped into an old house paint gallon can and taken to the haz waste recycling service run by the city, your mileage will vary!
Regards, Robert

I use Pine Glo for cleaning
I did a search here, but have not come across what I'm looking for...

I have accumulated a collection of glass paint and airbrush bottles with old, dried paint in them.

I would like to reclaim these bottles (I keep buying new ones).

Is there some secret elixir that I can pour in the bottles and have it magically dissolve the paint?

These are not just empty bottles with residue left over on the sides and bottom.

Some are bottles that the thinner just evaporated away. So, what's at the bottom can be pretty thick.

I believe, for the most part, they are all Tamiya acrylic paints.

I would also be interested in a source for cap gaskets.
I use Pine Glo for cleaning out bottles and air brushes. let it soak for a day or so.

Attachments

• pine glo.jpg
    pine glo.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 39
Yeah, there are household cleaners that will do this like the one above. The best depends on your location. In the UK there used to be a product called "Fairy Power Spray" that was absolutely brilliant at softening and stripping paint from equipment and kits without being harsh, smelly and corrosive. Unfortunately a few years back they changed the formula and it lost its paint stripping abilities.
The best replacement I've found here is Tesco's own brand Lemon Multi Surface Cleaner - it's dayglow yellow and only a quid a litre. Leave your bits to soak fully submerged in some of that for a couple of days then wash off with warm water and they will come out like new. Works with pretty much any paint I've tried, but some of the more durable enamels and laquers may take a bit longer or require a second go.
I've heard Simple Green works well too, but we don't have that here.

Thanks for the responses.

I guess I could have clarified my location.

I am in the U.S., but also live in California, so no 'true' laquer thinner here.

I do have a can of what they now call 'laquer thinner', I can give that a shot.

I also see that the Pine Glo is available on Amazon. May have to pick some up.

It might be slow, but with Tamiya paints, I believe Isopropyl Alcohol will dissolve it (like the highest percentage you can get, preferably 99%)

If you can find it, Tamiya Paint Remover is really good. It works on every type of paint. Or try Airbrush cleaner by Gunze / Mr Hobby or even Tamiya. Alternative, if its acrylic, soak them over night in Methalated Spirits then scrub the bottles out.

Thanks for the responses.

I guess I could have clarified my location.

I am in the U.S., but also live in California, so no 'true' laquer thinner here.

I do have a can of what they now call 'laquer thinner', I can give that a shot.

I also see that the Pine Glo is available on Amazon. May have to pick some up.
I am in California as well.I get it at Walmart under $2 for a bottle

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back