joingaramo17

So, I finally decided to repaint my Loki Mask.

I've been wanting to do it for a very long time but I never had the courage to do it because I felt I could screw it up big time. But I had to do it, the previous paint job was inaccurate and had a very glossy finish that I didn't like at all.

I collected photos of the original props for reference from websites like Prop Store and Heritage Auctions, and studied each one for days, even doing some concept art in Photoshop, digitally painting over photos of my replica, to see how it should look like with the new paint job.

I had no budget for this project, I live in a country where painting with Acrylics is almost a luxury, very expensive stuff. Fortunately I have tools from a brief period where I studied painting, otherwise I wouldn't be able to buy new acrylic paint or brushes.

All colors, from wood to metal, were created by mixing only the three primary colors, with two brushes. Gradients were achieved using mainly a dry brush, working step by step, layer by layer, with a lot of patience.

It was fun and I'm very happy with the result. I panicked hard the first day I started painting the base coat, but then I got over it and it became a fun hobby.

Last two pictures are comparisons between the previous paint job and the new one.

Do you like it?

IMG_20240424_145834272.jpg

IMG_20240424_150509039.jpg

IMG_20240424_145853773.jpg

-Loki_Mask-comparison_1.jpg

-Loki_Mask-comparison_2.jpg

This looks great! I would have had no idea that you only used primary colors for your mixing. Awesome job!

Thank you very much!! Painting with primary colors was very challenging, there was a lot of color mixing in the process, but it was actually fun!

I took some photos to compare the ReelArt mask and my repainted copy to see the differences in shape and size. From what I understand, both are recast of an Icons replica.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-26 at 10.01.35 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-26 at 9.58.47 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-26 at 9.54.15 PM.jpeg

A little update. I started to notice the paint job on the mask was too bright, clean and flat, and I wanted to tone down the colors a bit and give it a more aged, authentic look. So I gave it a dark wash over the satin varnish. I'm happy with the results. I feel there's more contrast and depth between the wood grain, and I think is a bit closer to what I see on the reference photos. (My cellphone does ugly post-processing on photos, and I can't turn that function off, so some details may appear too sharp and others too blurry.)

1.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

From left to right, a comparison between the replica made by loki.mask on IG, the recast of the Icons mask and the ReelArt mask.

It's very interesting to see how these three masks share basically the same details, same wood grain, and have a lineage with the original prop, but they look so different. I wonder why.

Loki_Mask_comparisons_5.jpg

Loki_Mask_comparisons_1.jpg

Loki_Mask_comparisons_4.jpg

Loki_Mask_comparisons_3.jpg

Loki_Mask_comparisons_8.jpg

When I studied the mask for my repaint, I noticed the metal part has subtle gold details around some of the edges and on the seal. I feel like it gives a bit of dimension to the metal.

When I studied the mask for my repaint, I noticed the metal part has subtle gold details around some of the edges and on the seal. I feel like it gives a bit of dimension to the metal.

Yes, I noticed those gold details on some of the props, I don't know if I could create that specific color with my paints. Could you share photos of your mask?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back