How to remove sticker adhesive from styrofoam?

red4

Sr Member
I'm making a globe for a planet I invented, so I bought two 12-inch half domes from the craft store. Before I draw and paint the landmasses on it, I want to coat it with water based primer. However, when I peeled off the label stickers, they left a lot of adhesive. I don't know if there is some kind of agent that will dissolve the adhesive but spare the styrofoam. I'm guessing there isn't. My main concern is if the water based primer will stick to the adhesive. I don't want the paint chipping off on those spots later on. If the primer won't stick to the adhesive, I need some way to clean it off without damaging the styrofoam.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I like to use vegetable oil to remove sticker goo. You just wet the gooey area with it and then let it sit for a while.

It won't dissolve the goo. It releases it. Then it can just be wiped off.

tape will take adhesive of most things. just make a ring of it sticky side out that will fit over you index and ring fingers then "dab" the spot with the adhesive on it and it will usually come off bonded to the sticky side of the tape

tape will take adhesive of most things. just make a ring of it sticky side out that will fit over you index and ring fingers then "dab" the spot with the adhesive on it and it will usually come off bonded to the sticky side of the tape

This worked pretty well with masking tape. Thanks.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back