How to achieve lighting effect??

As said in the reply by the builder..

"countrywoods9000 11 maanden geleden
the flicker board your using for main drive is that the gas light board from voodoofx? and are you useing more than one? or are all of them on the same board? sorry for all the questions the effect is kool wanting to do it on my Avenger build. ty have a great weekend

One board from Voodoo yes.

Ngineering.com offers some very affordable "special effects" lighting boards. They have a "campfire effect" and also an interesting board that simulates the activity of melting metal in a steel plant. These might be useful for making a flickering engine light.

As said in the reply by the builder..

"countrywoods9000 11 maanden geleden
the flicker board your using for main drive is that the gas light board from voodoofx? and are you useing more than one? or are all of them on the same board? sorry for all the questions the effect is kool wanting to do it on my Avenger build. ty have a great weekend

One board from Voodoo yes.

Yes I saw that, but I'd like options other than the voodofx like a diy option (preferred) or other vendors.

Doug

There was a guy over on Instructables - Make, How To, and DIY that was using leds and cheap flickering votive candles for a Menora conversion of all things, that's an option I suppose.

***I had to go see if it was still around, here it is: LED Flickering Candle Menorah Retrofit
Looks like he also did a build of flickerind LEDs for a Zoltar as well. Anyways, at least it's another option to look at, although not sure how practical for you.

Looking for a way to achieve the flickering or pulsing engine effect found on this example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SDfPUios8c

I'd like to be able to wire it up myself, but if a board is required, I'd like to see some vendor options.

Thanks in advance!

Doug

Are you handy at all with Electronics?

You could easily achieve this with an 11 dollar Micro-controller, and some LED lights.

You will need to write some code to control the flicker, but it is very simple to do.

Let me know, and I can explain in greater detail. This video shows you a setup with red lights, but you could easily substitute blue lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you handy at all with Electronics?

You could easily achieve this with an 11 dollar Micro-controller, and some LED lights.

You will need to write some code to control the flicker, but it is very simple to do.

Let me know, and I can explain in greater detail. This video shows you a setup with red lights, but you could easily substitute blue lights.

Realistic LED Flickering Flame Effect using an Arduino - YouTube

Joshua,
I can solder well, and I can understand basic circuits, but need help with understanding chip related projects. I'd be interested in learning more, so whatever help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys for the input!

Feel free to keep adding suggestions -- not only for my benefit, but for others who stumble into this thread.

Doug

Hey Doug

I would follow the instructions here, but use the colors you need for your project, perhaps, blue and white.

Realistic Flickering Flame Effect with Arduino and LED's

Depending on the size of the model, and the space within it, you could put something like a Flora board in it to control the LED's

FLORA - Wearable electronic platform: Arduino-compatible ID: 659 - $24.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

That would be my suggestion for a DIY solution. Looking at the links for the train supply place you could do something very similar with a Potentiometer.

Perhaps I am making things too complicated, I think I have a habit of doing that :)

In any case if I can help in any way let me know.

-- Joshua

Damn you Doug. We all have great ideas, and then you find the easy road. :)

I totally tripped over this on youtube by accident, it was in my recommended videos that youtube throws at you based on prior searches. I guess I can stop griping about that feature now! lol

This doesn't mean I won't be tinkering with some of your ideas for other things though. Thanks guys!

Doug

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back