How do you cut styrene with precision?

Lear60man

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Im not talking about some computer and laser. I asking for something like a paper cutter that I can run a blade back and forth to make perfect 90 degree cuts. There has got to be a simple device out there that will allow me to make perfect squares, rectangles etc.

Thanks in advance to my RPF brethren.

I've used a cutter made by Xacto that's basically a stubby handle with a base on it that rides along the straight edge of your choice. The problem was that the blades were non-standard and seemed to dull quickly. It may have been made to cut mattes for picture framing. But I've considered making my own that would use something like a #2 blade.

Another good tool is The Chopper, it's just limited in the size and thickness of the plastic.

-Rog

I use a Olfa plastic scoring knife along a metal ruler or engineer's square, and then snap the edge ... but the edge has to be reduced to flatness afterwards. I prefer a flat file or sandpaper glued to a metal block but I know others use sharp knives carefully.

I think there are also saw blades (hacksaw, jigsaw, band saw) designed to cut plastics safely and without burring the edge too much.
Use that with a clamp and miter box maybe.

Last edited:
Mini table saws are almost a must for exacting cuts of sheet styrene.

You can find them for as little as $50

BF8D0EDE-812E-44E2-9F5D-15B0ABDB0F47.jpeg

I must admit I'm old school and mark up the styrene sheet and score/snap with a no.10 blade scalpel, finishing with file and sanding.

I've seen various cutting jigs and choppers online but not heard of mini table saws before - I might have to invest. :)

I just mark carefully with a mechanical pencil before following the line with a No.10a scalpel and a steel rule.

Invest in a decent set of steel marking tools- protractor, rule and squares; I recommend Moore & Wright, Rotring or Starret (well-respected engineering companies, don't get El Cheapo Brand stuff, it's a waste of your time)

But as always, practice is the key! Good luck

It depends on how advanced you want to get. I think if you have steady enough hands and a few simple tools you can get nice clean cuts that are accurate. I would suggest using a self healing mat, a T-Square, and a good sharp exacto knife.

I must admit I'm old school and mark up the styrene sheet and score/snap with a no.10 blade scalpel, finishing with file and sanding.

I've seen various cutting jigs and choppers online but not heard of mini table saws before - I might have to invest. :)
This is what I do as well. Even for complex curves and its worked fine so far.

On thicker styrene, I cut complex shapes with my scroll saw with a fine tooth blade. You have to cut slowly so it doesn't melt the edges, and it requires some cleanup with sanding

On the bench right now.

18102901.jpg

I sometimes cut thicker pieces with a model makers box saw. I have a Dremel but the cutting wheels leave a real mess - even on the lowest speeds.

Same here. For thicker styrene (like .100") I used a high speed (not at high speed) steel cutter. It's easy to cut curves and things. I used to have a pic of it, but I can't find it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back