Holy carp! Batman ‘66 prop in Star Trek TNG???

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Surely I’m not the first person to notice this.
Okay, stay with me.
Picard loved Shakespeare. At the very end of the episode “The Inner Light” (yup, that’s the one when he lives a whole lifetime while he scanned by the probe and learns to play the flute) at the very end when Picard is in his quarters, you can see in the background what appears to be the exact same Shakespeare bust as used by the Dynamic Duo in the Batman ‘66 show. Could I be wrong? Does anybody have any information on this as I find this very cool!
First pic is of my bust. Second is a screen cap.

Attachments

• 18D63AFA-4DD0-48B8-8C1B-153C7B5C16D8.jpeg
    18D63AFA-4DD0-48B8-8C1B-153C7B5C16D8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 230
  • 3A2F4A98-2BDF-44AD-A454-FC218C578CF0.jpeg
    3A2F4A98-2BDF-44AD-A454-FC218C578CF0.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 219
So this begs the question; did they use a prop from thirty years earlier or did they find a genuine bronze bust from back in the day?

Yeah I lmao when I saw it back in the day

Set dresser or propmen giving a huge shoutout to the caped crusader

In an amazing coincidence, I literally just rewatched this episode an hour ago, and thought exactly the same thing when I saw the bust. And then I came upon this thread, just now! What are the odds?
Great minds...

Mine is not the bank version. Mine is the one that plugs into the wall, the other plug plugs into whatever device you wish. When the head opens, the inside bulb lights up, you turn the knob and activates said device (like a lamp, a fan or a secret slide wall).

May I ask what the 'bank version' is?

In the empath episode of "Star Trek" they used the Jupiter II freezing tubes.

David.

May I ask what the 'bank version' is?

In the empath episode of "Star Trek" they used the Jupiter II freezing tubes.

David.
The bank version is just that. It's a little smaller, plastic with a slot on the back of the head to put coins in. It's roughly the same color, has a stopper on the bottom and almost all of them were shipped warped.

The bank version is just that. It's a little smaller, plastic with a slot on the back of the head to put coins in. It's roughly the same color, has a stopper on the bottom and almost all of them were shipped warped.
Thank you. I had never heard of them making one of those.

David.

There's no really good close-up of this bust as far as I know, but here's a zoomed in screencap.

1684306376880.jpeg

It most closely matches a vintage bust made by ABCO, and possibly others (recasting prior pieces). This bust has the same head pose, collar, buttons, suspenders, base, and what looks like a rectangular entablature. There are a lot of similar-looking busts, including the one from Batman, but this is the best match. The brown finish was either original to the bust or applied by the studio.

1684306568854.jpeg

1684306676198.jpeg

Here's a brown one.

1684306771255.jpeg

It appears to be a copy of this older Wedgewood example done in basalt. Wedgewood produced(s) these for many years and in different versions. I think I found evidence this takes after a specific monument done in the 19th century, but I can't find it in my notes just now; I may have not written it down.

1684306884411.jpeg

Here's a 3D scan done by a member here.

1684306977007.jpeg

These will pop up from time to time on eBay if you do a saved search for them. The ABCO one is probably really worth less than $50, and I got mine for less than that, but are often listed for more. The Wedgewood examples, which I don't think the prop was, are typically sold for much more.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back