Historical Artifact Replicas

My favorite "Historical" artifacts (had I unlimited money with which to make/acquire them) would be:
  • A working Difference Engine or Analytical Engine, based on Charles Babbage's vision.
  • A working Enigma machine.
  • A working Firebird II prototype (the dream car from the Fifties that was powered by two turbines).
Perhaps more modern than the OP intended, but they are historical...

I would kill for an enigma machine. I've meant for years to make a replica of one. I love the Key to the Bastille, sent to General Washington by his former Aide de camp, the Marquis de Lafayette, who helped liberate the famous prison
Here's a nice brass version:
http://www.virginiabornandbred.com/prodinfo.asp?number=5629C
I bought a cast iron one a couple years ago and after some filing and burying it in my yard for 2 months it looks totally authentic.

When I was in High School, they had a full sized plaster(?) replica of the rosetta stone on one of the walls.
I always wanted to bring that home with me...
A few years ago the St.Louis art museum had an exhibit on Ur and in the gift shop they had some replicas that I bought.. I'll try to post pics later if I get a chance.

I would kill for an enigma machine. I've meant for years to make a replica of one. I love the Key to the Bastille, sent to General Washington by his former Aide de camp, the Marquis de Lafayette, who helped liberate the famous prison
Here's a nice brass version:
http://www.virginiabornandbred.com/prodinfo.asp?number=5629C
I bought a cast iron one a couple years ago and after some filing and burying it in my yard for 2 months it looks totally authentic.

My dad would love something like this, any chance you have a link to the cast iron one? The brass one is cool, but it doesn't match up to the original totally. The endpiece (dunno what it's called on keys, the teeth?) are different.

Any tips on the "hanger" would be cool too.

Chris

I just remembered something that i wanted to make years ago. A Faberge egg, Namely the The Coronation Egg also used in a james bond movie.

Maybe someone here have made a replica of it because of that?
I just want a static non open egg. I dont like the wagon.

/Conny
1069-400x400-faberge-egg.gif

This is a great thread, I love this kind of work.
The Bayeux tapestry would look lovely in my living room, but my weaving skills are nil.

I'm also a big fan fossils. I have a handful of really good trilobites but keep meaning to make some of the bigger badder creatures of the ancient past.

Replica fossils can be found all around the internet and look pretty good. I mean, who wouldn't want a saber toothed tiger skull on there library shelf!

Asavage's sculpted Dodo skeletal is pretty amazing, too.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1515761638951440862

dodo-bird1.jpg

Nick

Reviving this thread from the dead....
I got an Email from the Rosetta Stone Guy that i asked if they were selling and this is what he wrote this time.
This is still Way more money that I have or would want to pay for it, but still it's as close to the original that you can come.

Hello Conny:

Thank you for your interest in the Rosetta Stone replica project. I promised to keep in touch with you. We are a few weeks away from developing the mold for the full-size, 3-D Classic Rosetta replica.

I am offering a special pre-launch discount off the retail price (see below) for the people who have expressed interest. Please click here to review all of the updated information about the project -- www.RosettaStoneReplicas.com

I have been working on this project (off and on) since 2005. Even though it has taken a lot of time, finances and energy to bring it up to this point, it has been worth it all. We have worked hard to assemble the right experts so that the outcome is the creation a rare and wonderful hand-crafted fine art piece. I am confident that the finished product will be undeniably of museum-quality.

To my knowledge this is the only full-size, 3-D facsimile of the Rosetta Stone (45" x 28.5" x 11") available for purchase anywhere in the world. Rosetta Classic, LLC is developing three unique models and we have wrestled with the pricing of each. Here they are:

Three proposed facsimiles of the Rosetta Stone:
(1). CLASSIC ROSETTA: full-size 3-D replica (about 11 inches thick -- approx. 45" high x 28.5" wide). Classic Rosetta pedestal base: 30" high x 28" wide base & iron cradle to exhibit the replica.
-- $12,500 (retail...includes exhibition pedestal & cradle...plus S&H)
(2). BABY ROSETTA: 2/3 size 3-D replica filled with hi-density foam (about 7.5" thick -- approximately 30" high x 19" wide).
-- $4,550 (retail...plus S&H)
(3). HYBRID ROSETTA: coffee table/wall art -- unscrew the four legs and now you have a hanging wall unit (40" long x 30" wide x 3" thick)
-- $3,875 (retail...plus S&H)

Official Dimensions
of
Rosetta Stone
Height: 114.400 cm (max.) = 45 inches
Width: 72.300 cm = 28.5 inches
Thickness: 27.900 cm = 11 inches

The main reason I am writing you is because I am making a one-time offer for the Classic Rosetta model...never to be repeated.

I will be granting a special discount if you pay 50% up front for your Classic Rosetta order by June 30th. These prices include the pedestal exhibition base and iron cradle when they are fabricated! You will be responsible for all "at-cost" shipping costs:

40% discount for the purchase of one replica -- $7,500 (plus S&H)
45% discount for two ordered -- $6,875 each (plus S&H)
50% discount for an order of three or more -- $6,250 each (plus S&H)

This offer will never be repeated. Please let me know if you are interested. I will permit you to forward this invitation to a few other friends/entities you know who may be interested.

Please call me if you need more specific information. Thank you for allowing me to parachute into your day...

Warmest regards,
Joel
Joel A. Freeman, Ph.D., President/CEO, Classic Rosetta®
Box 305, Gambrills, MD 21054
Cell: 410.991.9718 -- Private Line: 410.729.4011
www.RosettaStoneReplicas.com

Last edited:
Well I have a replica viking sword and celtic sword. Do those count?

As for the real deal though, I have a genuine stone axe and a couple of roman rings.

I have a small stone that a friend of mine who knows far more than I do about such things swears is a hammer stone used for making flint arrowheads. It has an indentation worn in it from the pressure of the thumb, so this thing has some use behind it.

Also have various pieces of spear and arrow points and some fossilised bones I found while working at Silver Springs. They look to be rib bones.

Not replicas though...

A shroud of Turin would be cool! We made a demonic shroud for an episode of Angel, once upon a time. Been wanting to do the SOT ever since.

1:1 scale Terracotta Warrior. I try to pick up local art from my travels but this is considered a national treasure. Its on my 'lifetime' things to make list.
Christian

I have a few replica fossils, raptor claws, a T-Rex tooth and a Megalodon tooth, just the cheaper replicas not the more pricey versions floating out there.

As far as real, I have my great great uncles bayonet from the Civil War and 2 1915 Pennslyvannia Guard sharpshooter medals awarded to my great grandfather before heading to France.

1:1 scale Terracotta Warrior. I try to pick up local art from my travels but this is considered a national treasure. Its on my 'lifetime' things to make list.
Christian
I think it could be done easily with foam and paper mache... I think you just gave me an (insane) idea...:love

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back