HGU-20/P Flight Helmet

Holy guacamole, for real?
This can be put through 3D printing?
(I mean- granted, I've noted that there's obj and gitf2 in the "formats" section, but I'm only just getting my feet wet w/ 3D*P)

If this is doable- boy, has this been a loooong time coming [but anxiously awaited!]

I was the guy who had it commissioned on turbo squid. I then had it converted to a printable file since it was a VFX model. I never managed to get it printed. This has been a project that’s spanned a few years off and on. I have had to put It down a few times. I absolutely love this helmet, so much so that I recently acquired one. I’m looking to disassemble and 3d scan. Be paitent with me but hopefully some updates soon.

I bought this model with the intention of 3d printing it, and its not set up for 3d printing, most of the parts are not manifold solids, the parts are all shells with no depth information, which is fine for a 3d rendering. The other problem is the mesh itself is low polygon with a subdivision modifier applied to it for rendering output.

I basically had to rebuild it in Fusion 360 using their patch modeling tools, the tolerances are not 100% on point, and the visor frames tend to either collide with each other or the top of the helmet instead of clearing it as they should. Also, the visor dials do not include any of the mechanisms that allow either of the visors to rotate when the dials are actuated. From what I remember from watching Firefox as a kid, one dial lifts and lowers the sun visor, and the other lifts the clear visor, which in turn lifts the shade visor if its in the down position. The hinge on the top on the model is not a functional hinge. The bayonets and lugs were modeled, but I don't think they'd actuate as they'd be PLA instead of metal so no flex to the parts. I haven't split the helmet into two halves yet. It would also need to be split further to get it to fit an Ender 3 bed.

Its a long way from being done, and I haven't had time to pursue this further with my work keeping me busy full time. I also have no access to vacuforming equipment for making the visors.

All those little orange exclamation icons on the parts list show which of the imported parts aren't manifold/editable. The white parts are all the rebuilt parts, the black parts are .obj parts from the turbosquid model.

Left_Side_REV.JPG

Right_Side_REV.JPG

Interesting side fact: I was recently watching an old Chevy Chase movie called Deal of the Century, at the end of the movie Gregory Hines' character hijacks an advanced fighter plane, and in the cockpit shots, he's wearing a white HGU-20P, with a HGU-33 visor cover attached to the top of the helmet above the visors for some reason.

Last edited:
Yeah unfortunately the model was rendered for gaming so it took a separate commission to get it converted. The vaccuformed visors were problematic for me as well. Maybe if there is enough interest we can do a run. Of note the helmet I just purchased was a navy variant. It’s worth way too much to convert it, so I’m still looking to build another as the nasa variant

Yeah unfortunately the model was rendered for gaming so it took a separate commission to get it converted. The vaccuformed visors were problematic for me as well. Maybe if there is enough interest we can do a run. Of note the helmet I just purchased was a navy variant. It’s worth way too much to convert it, so I’m still looking to build another as the nasa variant

Any pics?

The honest answer is these are far less sexy than the vfx models I posted but are theoretically printable at this point. I think using a large scale resin printer would be the best by far, but that makes it considerably more expensive. Its just been a very slow burn in terms of progress. The visor buck is critical as well but without a vacuforming source it has largely been on pause.

Apparently only 800 of these were made, so finding information has been near impossible.
hgu1.png
hgu2.png
hgu3.png
hgu4.png

Sorry, I thought you meant you purchased a real helmet.

I don't know much about 3D printing, serious casting, or much else of anything in life so just let me know when a finished helmet or kit is for sale. :love: o_O :unsure: (y) :lol: :D :)

Thanks for posting all this even though I do not understand it.

Is it strange that NASA used the same helmet on the Challenger that ultimately was rejected by the Air Force some years before, and was not air tight given they were going into space where there is no air?????:unsure:

Is it strange that NASA used the same helmet on the Challenger that ultimately was rejected by the Air Force some years before, and was not air tight given they were going into space where there is no air?????:unsure:
I don't believe so; these helmets were mainly meant for launch and reentry, both high-stress atmospheric operations. They were meant to prevent the astronaut from blacking out in the event of cabin depressurization, so they could either abort or continue to guide the shuttle to a safe landing. The same argument could also be used to ask why the astronauts are allowed to wear casual clothes while in orbit.

The US Navy also rejected the 20/p due to its weight, (which NASA and their 280lb space suits have fewer quarrels about) restricted peripheral vision, (unnecessary when you don't need to actively look for hostile aircraft) and the chin snagging on flight suits. (unnecessary, I can't think of a reason you'd need to look behind you while the shuttle's in flight)

The USN had largely different needs than NASA would, so in a sense, one man's trash is another's treasure eh?

They were meant to prevent the astronaut from blacking out in the event of cabin depressurization, so they could either abort or continue to guide the shuttle to a safe landing.

This is a bit out of my area of expertise as I don't have one. In the event of cabin depressurization wouldn't the helmet need to be air tight?

Sorry, I thought you meant you purchased a real helmet.

I don't know much about 3D printing, serious casting, or much else of anything in life so just let me know when a finished helmet or kit is for sale. :love: o_O :unsure: (y) :lol: :D :)

Thanks for posting all this even though I do not understand it.
Ahh pictures of the actual helmet makes more sense. Should arrive tomorrow so I’ll keep you updated

This is a bit out of my area of expertise as I don't have one. In the event of cabin depressurization wouldn't the helmet need to be air tight?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but to a certain degree it actually is. While the entire helmet may not be pressurized, it works on a "partial pressure" system; meaning instead of a rubber seal going over the pilot's neck and sealing the entire helmet, the seal is instead around the wearer's face, seen as the black surrounding area around the mannequin face here:
3457870_orig.jpg
The only pressurized area is between the wearer and the visor. This allows for the pilot to still breathe, but the helmet is less complex to put on, and less expensive.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but to a certain degree it actually is. While the entire helmet may not be pressurized, it works on a "partial pressure" system; meaning instead of a rubber seal going over the pilot's neck and sealing the entire helmet, the seal is instead around the wearer's face, seen as the black surrounding area around the mannequin face here:
View attachment 1618659
The only pressurized area is between the wearer and the visor. This allows for the pilot to still breathe, but the helmet is less complex to put on, and less expensive.

That makes sense. I ask because when I was first studying this helmet I noticed as the astronaut's were getting into the shuttle Challenger one of the female's hair was sticking out the bottom on the helmet. Judith Resnik's I believe, and no she is not the same Judith Resnik that teaches at Yale today. :love: o_O (y) :lol:

Do you have the model of the visor part, I did a fair bit of research into motorcycle helmet visors and found a couple that might be very close

Also for the shell parts printing 3d molds then getting them made from fibreglass would make sense. The visor mount would need to be fibreglass to be strong enough I think.

Attachments

• Vega VST1 and HGU-20P.jpg
    Vega VST1 and HGU-20P.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back