Hellboy 2004 - Professor Bruttenholm's Rosary

Torolf

I'm starting a build of Professor Bruttenholm’s rosary. I found a couple pictures for reference.
0Q8toZ0.jpg

AmoKh1N.jpg

The first thing I noticed was this is not a standard rosary. This one has seven decades instead of the normal five. It also is missing two "Our Father" beads and one "Hail Mary" bead between the crucifix and centerpiece. That would most likely make it a Fransiscan Crown Rosary with one of the "Hail Mary" beads broken off or left off.

I then went on a four and a half hour search through etsy and several rosary maker sites to try to find a crucifix, beads and centerpiece that matched. I'm fairly sure the crucifix was custom made.

So far I've found some parts that are pretty close. I'm still going to search for better ones and I'm debating if I want to modify a centerpiece to match exactly or just use one that's close. Here are the best options I've got so far.

bwNCie1.jpg

dyJIs5l.jpg

8YyWhTz.jpg

dRtLPjw.jpg

V5IQKVU.jpg

NZ4ACcA.jpg

Last edited:
IF you jave links to where you got these pieces id very much appreciate them, im trying to make my own rosaries from hellboy haha
I'll be sharing all my plans, research and parts I use so if anyone wants to make their own they can. More details on this further down.

Well it looks like I had a brain fart and forgot how to count before. I went over the two clear images and a bunch of screen shots and the rosary has eight decades not seven for a total of 88 round beads for the main loop. I did some research and found a really interesting detail about the rosary and a bit of an easter egg. Eight decade rosaries with only two beads between the crucifix and center did exist. They were from the 16th century and were a variation of the Fransiscan Crown with an extra decade for prayers to saints who were known for battling the demonic and were carried by exorcist.

Now back to the actual build.I took measurements of several antique rosaries and used screenshots to make sure I got all the sizes correct.

I ordered the middle crucifix shown above. The seller of the crucifix only had two so I bought both and saddly they won't have any more available. My plan is to modify the crucifix to make it more accurate then mold and cast them with permission from the seller. If they turn out well I'll offer a run here.

I also ordered the centerpiece and I plan on sanding off the little bumps around the edges. I'm leaving the design on the back as is but i"m going to sand the front flat. I've got a tiny plastic figure of the Virgin Mary and I'm going to mold and cast just the front side. I'll then attach it upside down like on the screen used piece. I may mold and cast the final version also. Right now my plan is to make two complete rosaries and maybe more later on.
Here's a link to the centerpiece I'm using. Minimalist Eye of God Rosary Center - Sterling Silver, or True Bronze Saint Religious Replica - Vintage Catholic Pendant #848

Here's the plastic figure.
ZVSLiuJ.jpg

The next thing I found were the coil beads. The ones I found are too short when the center part is cut out so I'll solder the two halves together without the center detail. Link: 5 Pcs 8x12 mm Copper Bali Style Tube Beads (CP5001009)
tWE7cKm.jpg

I went to Hobby Lobby Saturday and picked up some parts. I found some 6mm beads that looked pretty close. I used a craft blade and scraped them up a bit then did a couple paint and coffee washes to give them the marbled look of the orginals. They still nedded a final wash in the pictures. I also picked up some copper chain and eyepins for bead work.
rA7MNDl.jpg

90xOXGW.jpg

IfaIUHI.jpg

Next I did some sketches of the bead layout and scaled drawings.
6XlZcSe.jpg

nPn641u.jpg

6RmLSzo.jpg

cVjk02v.jpg

I then put together the section that goes between the crucifix and center.
FKTHR05.jpg

Next I put together all eight decades of beads, prepped the "our father" beads and cut several sections of the copper chain (3 links each) that go on either side of the single round beads between the long strands (decades).
wSvh77L.jpg

Finally I attached all the sections together minus the last three decades which get the coil beads as spacers.
QbIevxJ.jpg

Close up of the single beads with chain links.
Z4VdBnT.jpg

Close up of the end of the strand that will attach with a copper jump ring to the left upper corner of the centerpiece if viewed from the back side.
uY2rzgl.jpg

That's all I've got until the other parts come in.

Here are a couple of promo stills I was able to find.

Attachments

• 07a.jpg
    07a.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,063
  • karel-roden-john-hurt-hellboy-2004-BPM8G2.jpg
    karel-roden-john-hurt-hellboy-2004-BPM8G2.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 647
Thanks. The second one looks like the same rosary but the first one looks like it's made of cord with wood beads. Looks like the same crucifix though and that image gives a better view of the side detail of the scroll and overall thickness.

Last edited:
Glad they're useful!

Attached are some retouched screencaps (sadly, not HD).

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2019-01-05-09h29m39s900a.jpg
    vlcsnap-2019-01-05-09h29m39s900a.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 1,001
  • vlcsnap-2019-01-05-09h29m58s728a.jpg
    vlcsnap-2019-01-05-09h29m58s728a.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 651
  • vlcsnap-2019-01-05-09h48m59s072a.jpg
    vlcsnap-2019-01-05-09h48m59s072a.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 987
  • vlcsnap-2019-01-05-09h50m43s947a.jpg
    vlcsnap-2019-01-05-09h50m43s947a.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 580
  • vlcsnap-2019-01-05-09h52m39s939a.jpg
    vlcsnap-2019-01-05-09h52m39s939a.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 548
  • vlcsnap-2019-01-05-09h51m15s038a.jpg
    vlcsnap-2019-01-05-09h51m15s038a.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 780
  • vlcsnap-2019-01-05-09h51m06s437a.jpg
    vlcsnap-2019-01-05-09h51m06s437a.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 518
If it would help, I can dig out my copy of that deluxe edition and photograph the rosary for you (the props in that set were a major disappointment, unfortunately :()

Here's a pic from the GDT LACMA exhibition but not sure it adds much information. I've been trying to find decent pics of the contents of this display for some time but not many people shared high res photos.

Brooms Rosary.jpg

If it would help, I can dig out my copy of that deluxe edition and photograph the rosary for you (the props in that set were a major disappointment, unfortunately :()

A picture of it spread out and pictures of the front and back of the centerpiece would be a big help. Thanks.

So the first two pics that you posted are of the deluxe edition replica rosary.

Here it is all spread out (it's difficult to get a decent pic as it's surprisingly long!)

Broom rosary 01.jpg

The front:

Broom rosary 02.jpg

Broom rosary 03.jpg

And the back:

Broom rosary 04.jpg

Broom rosary 05.jpg

Interestingly, for the "coil beads" they simply used small loop end extension springs - like this:

spring.jpg

Thanks to the image provided by Krats I can see several differences between the actual prop and the deluxe edition replica. The beads I was using are the wrong material and shape. To me these look much closer but what do all of you think?
RDkVyPv.jpg

Also from the picture it looks to me like the springs seen on the replica are wrong. Is it just me or are they just sections of copper tube on the original prop? The chain sections look different too and the section between the crucifix and center are completely different.

Attachments

• cec4exd.jpg
    cec4exd.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
... I can see several differences between the actual prop and the deluxe edition replica.

I also agree. I did wonder if it might be made from Howlite Rosary chains like you can get on Etsy but can't see the beads clearly enough to judge. The beads are definitely opaque though. Perhaps this will encourage someone to come forward with better reference?

29319226896_25707e11e5_b.jpg
il_fullxfull.1638938377_ock8.jpg

Thanks for the images Krats. I think you're right the howlite looks extremely close. If you zoom in on the beads it looks like there are streaks of darker color running through them like on the howlite beads.

I looked fore more ference and I found a few more pictures of the original on display. They all were from the exact same angle and they weren't much help unfortunately. Here's the best one I found.
IOPEw3T.jpg

If anyone finds any other reference it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The crucifix came in and at first I thought it was too small but I double checked and it should work fine. I’ll start the modifications in the morning.

Last edited:
Small update. I ordered some howlite rosary chain and I picked up a small bronze chain that matches the segments used on the original. I also worked on modifying the crucifix. I used super sculpy to make the scroll and rivet heads and yes I burnt it. I then added 2mm styrene to the back and sides of the crucifix since it was too narrow and thin after all. Later (not pictured) I cut the styrene flush and filled all the seams. Tonight I'm going to mold it then cast a few in cold cast bronze. I plan on epoxying a sheet of bronze to the back of the casts for added strength and to add some weight so they feel more realistic.
DMXDUA9.jpg

NCD9G0O.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back