Hasegawa Maschinen Krieger Falke FINISHED

modelerdave

Sr Member
So after the grueling NX-01 build I wanted to do something smaller, with no lights, where I could focus on improving my painting and weathering skills. I forget where I stumbled across the Machinen Krieger line of models but they're really oddball while still being cool, so this is my next project.

This is NOT my model, but the inspiration for the general weathering effects.

Falke 15.jpg

Progress on the base. Painting is all done except for maybe a final mist coat to tie things together. But maybe not. I haven’t decided yet.

Question for the gallery: the base is pretty porous, which is fine because it makes it look like concrete. But for weathering, should I gloss first or just go for it? Things like oil drips and rust stains. If I gloss I can fix goofs but with a protective layer on top I’m worried the spills may not look as real. If I don’t gloss though, fixing mistakes gets a lot harder. Thoughts?

IMG_9486.jpeg
IMG_9487.jpeg
IMG_9492.jpeg

I’m considering the pilot done. I’ll give it a day and then if I don’t feel the need to fiddle further I’ll glue him in and seal the fuselage halves.

Since my last update I made some touch ups to his face, gloss coated, did some shading with oils, then a dull coat to bring it all together.

IMG_9553.jpeg
IMG_9559.jpeg
IMG_9560.jpeg
IMG_9562.jpeg
IMG_9564.jpeg

Last edited:
Great work so far! Your goal of improving your painting & weathering skills sure seems like it's paying off (I imagine your skills were pretty high to begin with though). The weathering in particular looks great, especially the engine covers and the leather.
I know you asked for thoughts on the base before but now you're done with it, so I don't know if you want any comments. Adding the oil stains and such is a tough one. While your stains look good and realistic, it can also look like accidental drips. You said you were considering a final mist coat but that was before you added the stains. I'd be curious to see how it would look with a light misting of gray over the whole base, including the oil stains.

Great work so far! Your goal of improving your painting & weathering skills sure seems like it's paying off (I imagine your skills were pretty high to begin with though). The weathering in particular looks great, especially the engine covers and the leather.
I know you asked for thoughts on the base before but now you're done with it, so I don't know if you want any comments. Adding the oil stains and such is a tough one. While your stains look good and realistic, it can also look like accidental drips. You said you were considering a final mist coat but that was before you added the stains. I'd be curious to see how it would look with a light misting of gray over the whole base, including the oil stains.
I did add a mist coat to lighten it up a little, I just didn't take a photo. Most of the base will be covered by the model but if I had to do it again I probably would have skipped most of the stains because you're right, they can look like mistakes rather than deliberate weathering.

Minor update. The pilot is glued into his seat and the fuselage halves sealed. There’s very little work to do on the seams but the right side does have a bulge along the length that I’ll have to get rid of.

Also finished the mechanic figure as best as I could. I’m going to put a weird helmet in her hand but she’s done. And I used Black 3.0 for the first time. I painted the edge of the base with it. It’s a huge paint it use but it really is black!

IMG_9568.jpeg IMG_9569.jpeg IMG_9578.jpeg IMG_9581.jpeg IMG_9582.jpeg

Last edited:
The base painting is done, all of the decals are down, and I’ve added a gloss coat. Started the rust weathering. I’m really liking it so far. I still have to finish the rust layer, then there will be more work with black panel liner, starship wash, and more oils.

It’s very glossy still so it’s hard to get good photos.

IMG_9745.jpeg IMG_9817.jpeg IMG_9819.jpegIMG_9820.jpeg IMG_9824.jpegIMG_9825.jpeg IMG_9826.jpegIMG_9833.jpeg IMG_9834.jpegIMG_9835.jpeg IMG_9836.jpeg

The rust wash layer is done. I need to seal this and then I’ll start with oils to get some gray and black and dirty white weathering on it. I’m hoping to finish by Friday so I can take this to the modeling show in Carlisle PA on Saturday. If anyone is planning on going let me know, I’d love to meet up!

IMG_9878.jpeg

IMG_9879.jpeg

IMG_9880.jpeg

IMG_9881.jpeg

I took another look and ended up removing quite a bit of the wash from the middle of the panels but leaving the wash in corners and around panel lines. I did gloss coat is last night so this evening I'll get started on the oil weathering to bring in some color variation to the weathering.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back