Hasbro DH-17 Rebel Fleet Trooper Blaster

Blaster building here in teh UK is a pain in the butt.. The tutorials call for 1" this and .75" that and the like.. unfortunately british copper pipe comes in 28mm 22mm and 15mm.... not the 25mm and 20mm used in the US.. so even making a scope leaves me in a quandry...

Hey greg883... what did you use for the emitter cone??.. Having trouble finding something suitable here in the uk...
Cheers..
Looks pretty good by the way..

It's a wooden furnature "leg", with the end cut flush. There is normally a metal "cup" for the actual flat "foot", pressed over a slightly smaller diamater end. I have some detail shots that I will post later on from home.

It's a hard wood with a tight grain to start, so it only took a few coats of primer to almost elminiate any visable grain. I used an "industrial" silver for the finish coats on the nozzel and ribbed section behind it.

Blaster building here in teh UK is a pain in the butt.. The tutorials call for 1" this and .75" that and the like.. unfortunately british copper pipe comes in 28mm 22mm and 15mm.... not the 25mm and 20mm used in the US.. so even making a scope leaves me in a quandry...

The exact sizes are not critical. I used 1" pipe as the next size down is 3/4" (too small) and the next up is 1 1/4" (too big). I'll post some more pictures later, but in my instance it's a straight section of copper pipe (no flared ends) with PVC reducers carefully ground out to fit over the copper - none of it will fit off the shelf. So you could start with a 22mm pipe and get the PVC fittings that have the approxiamte outer diameter to look right. Use a step-drill to get close and carefully dremel the last mm or so to just slide over the copper.

Hey greg883... what did you use for the emitter cone??.. Having trouble finding something suitable here in the uk...
Cheers..
Looks pretty good by the way..

Wooden furniture legs
IMG_0003.jpg

remove the metal and cut flush

I glued an end cap to a length of 1" PVC, then drilled and tapped it to fit the existing screw on the leg to attach to the end cap. This makes a long "bolt" that will be seen through the magazine and ejector ports in the main receiver body. It extends almost all the way to the back, so a long screw running diagonally up through the grip holds it in place. By adjusting the "leg" you can get a really tight fit. A second piece of 1 1/4" makes the ribbed portion. (16 pices of styrene strip). Since all the silver parts are a seperate asselbly, its easy to paint.

IMG_0008.jpg

Sand the parts to fit neatly

IMG_0007.jpg

CG - here's some detail on the scope build.

Here it is unpainted

IMG_0006-1.jpg

Nothing is the exact size to match up, so I found some 3/4" PVC to CPVC adaptors that were the size I wanted on the "big" ends. For the "eyepiece" end, I cut the smaller part off

IMG_0001-1.jpg

and then carefully enlarged it until it just slipped over the copper

IMG_0003-2.jpg

For the center, two more cut and bored out the same. However, I cut the beveled end off one a few mm thick and cemented it to give the same edge on both ends

IMG_0004-2.jpg

IMG_0005-1.jpg

So, the exact size of the parts is not that critical. If you are using a 22mm pipe, find a plastic bit that can be made to fit what you have. After a few trips, the staff at the DIY store see you in the asiles with a set of digital calipers and a notepad, and have learned it's easier to just leave you alone :lol

Thanks for this guys.... That scope build looks far better... I have tried the copper reducers here... and frankly.. doesn't look as good as I'd hoped..
IMG_0226.jpg

Just a test fitting... I have scope rings ordered.. (25mm... why does nothing fit ???):lol
I thought this would be a nice easy build...
I can't find those kind of table legs here... but did come accross Yarn cones... I'm using one of those cut to size..
Ho hum... back to the hardware store.. Shame I only need a few inches of pipe... Wonder if I could persuade them to just let me have a bit cut off...

Hi all,just to share that I've finally gotten my hands on the ever-elusive Hasbro Nerf DH-17 Rebel Blaster (2011 release) in my mailbox today, after a nearly 3-year long search to complete my RFT costume (I'm really hopeless in scratch building, just simply hopeless)! I will post pics once I've stopped war-dancing around with it in my house(alone and well away from the otherwise prying eyes and hands of my three kids, of course)!It basically looks like this:http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/aa399/seven8719/Movie/2-2.jpgLooking foward to painting/modding it to authentic colours for trooping.Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I found one from a Hong Kong seller on E-bay. It is being shipped as I type. I believe that he has more available. Hopefully it will not get stood up in Canadian Customs. They can really be jerks.

TazMan2000

Perhaps the one I received from Hong Kong is a precursor to the re-release. Mine has subdued light colours. Pastel blues and greys.
The blaster is meant for children's hands (duh....it's a toy). So if someone is going to use it for trooping, I found that the piece of plastic right behind the handle will dig into the meat of your hand and is really a nuisance.

TazMan2000

Typical that they re-release... AFTER I have now managed to source the parts and build my own... Ho hum.. She's not perfect but, got a sense of satisfaction building my own.
A few basic build up pics...
DH174.jpg

DH-173.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

Weathering..
IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

A found another one a little while ago at a thrift shop, and decided: What the heck, I'll convert this into an E-11. Seems like a better base that the actual toy stormtrooper rifle. Anyone tried that yet? I'm about half way through.

they have already started showing up on shelves. I know a few people in the Rebel Legion who have grabed some in the last week or two.

check with your locals stores to see if they have any info.

Yea, I've been looking recently when I go to Walmart, most of the other products are already being put on the shelves, so they should show up soon!

I saw one at Target the other day. I didn't even know it was going to be re-released with the new colors. I passed on it since I bought 2 of the older green ones that i've done nothing with. I went back today for other reasons and it was gone.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back