Hand Made Films licensed my Time Bandits Map

So I just wanted to chime in. I have had my eye on one of these for a few years and just pulled the trigger and received mine today. All I can say is that this is a childhood dream come true!! The quality is WAY beyond expectations!! No pictures nor the Tested video do these maps justice. The print quality is super crisp, and the material is as heavy, rich, and fibrous as you could possibly want. The size is perfect! I intend to weather mine to match the screen version and then frame it. I cannot possibly thank you enough for making these and, again, making the 10-year-old in this 47-year-old's heart beyond happy! Now I just need to find that portal...

Congratulations! Living the dream!

I have a question - Did handmade give you any access to any new material to make your product more accurate?

So I just wanted to chime in. I have had my eye on one of these for a few years and just pulled the trigger and received mine today. All I can say is that this is a childhood dream come true!! The quality is WAY beyond expectations!! No pictures nor the Tested video do these maps justice. The print quality is super crisp, and the material is as heavy, rich, and fibrous as you could possibly want. The size is perfect! I intend to weather mine to match the screen version and then frame it. I cannot possibly thank you enough for making these and, again, making the 10-year-old in this 47-year-old's heart beyond happy! Now I just need to find that portal...
High praise, thanks.

Congratulations! Living the dream!

I have a question - Did handmade give you any access to any new material to make your product more accurate?
I learned a while back that Hand Made doesn't really have any map info or references. I was planning to wait a bit longer into the relationship to ask if they knew the whereabouts of the original maps. But, my guess would be no. Terry Gilliam probably still has his. The George Harrison map may still be with his estate. As to the third map, who knows?

Yes, my dream would be to hook up with an original map and get hi-res scans to make an even more accurate replica. Not holding out much hope for that. But a boy can dream.

I learned a while back that Hand Made doesn't really have any map info or references. I was planning to wait a bit longer into the relationship to ask if they knew the whereabouts of the original maps. But, my guess would be no. Terry Gilliam probably still has his. The George Harrison map may still be with his estate. As to the third map, who knows?

Yes, my dream would be to hook up with an original map and get hi-res scans to make an even more accurate replica. Not holding out much hope for that. But a boy can dream.
Maybe one day the dream will come true, like getting that License, never give up hope, sometimes we get pleasent surprises when we least expect them

Prof Marvel arrived safe and sound today.

Awesome work as usual on this cool banner from a true Cinema Classic!! (y)

Yes, my dream would be to hook up with an original map and get hi-res scans to make an even more accurate replica. Not holding out much hope for that.
I'm not so sure. I would almost think that licensing sort of validates your expertise on the item and might give you access to an original in ways the rest of us unwashed would never be permitted.

Not in my experience. Licensing usually invalidates both experience and craftsmanship.

Look at all the prop replica companies who have failed. Like most of The Industry, they were built on profits rather than craftsmanship, customer service and artistic integrity.

This is a welcome fluke that happens only occasionally.

I also think there's a massive difference between a prop replica company manufacturing an item and an individual making a printed prop replica. My only supply chain concern is the cost and availability of canvas. Which has nearly doubled in price over the last 2 years BTW! I hope the recent success of Paragon continues for many years. I still have one of Rylo's metal TOS phaser handles in a kit on my shelf that I purchased probably 20 years ago. Someday I'll start building again...

Like most of The Industry, they were built on profits rather than craftsmanship, customer service and artistic integrity.
Working for a collectibles company, I can tell you that is not always true. We try our best to create a great accurate product, and our initial concepts and paint masters usually reflect that. Our goal is always to create the most accurate items, but it usually starts to fall apart once it goes to the license holder for approvals. They end up telling us to make change after change, for whatever reason, and you can’t argue with them. It’s their game and their ball. So you make the changes to get the approval. We once did a Ghostbusters Slimer item, and the licensor required us to remove the “butt crack” on Slimer. After we launched, the collectors slammed us for removing it as it was on the screen used puppet.

Then you move on to the factory. And things can go astray even more here.

Often the factory will tell you that production will require changes to make things so that their equipment can make the stuff. Then you have to take into account that the item is being painted (in bulk), by factory workers, and not your own hands. So quality may fade there as well.

So it’s not about pumping out sub-par items just to make as much money as possible. The truth is, quality of a one man team in a garage is always going to stand a greater chance of maintaining the same level in the end product, because he is only answering to himself. When you acquire that license, the game changes and you have many hands in the mix affecting the final result.

It's true of product design in general too. I may design a product package that looks beautiful until it gets to the manufacturer. Then, they send the list of compromises we need to make to fit their build processes and printing tolerances. What comes back is as close to the design as they can make it, but never exact. Sometimes, it's fine. Other times it's maddening.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back