HalloweenCostumes.com "Back to the Future 2 Light Up Shoes"

I think I saw a slip-on cup in the V2 forum that had everything on it.

That is still a work in progress and won't be ready until sometime next year.

I had some thoughts about making a spare strap and using some glow-paint for a temporary solution.

I am curious about this paint myself. It seems I can buy it locally in a pressure pack for about $30, but it seems to come in only one colour - a greenish yellow. Still, light up shoes with no electronic failures is kind of intriguing.

That is still a work in progress and won't be ready until sometime next year.

I am curious about this paint myself. It seems I can buy it locally in a pressure pack for about $30, but it seems to come in only one colour - a greenish yellow. Still, light up shoes with no electronic failures is kind of intriguing.

In that case I guess I'll either glue some letters on or wait.

I don't have anything like that long-lasting glow in the dark paints local. I gotta get that kind of thing online.

Just looking over the stuff preliminarily, as a liquid paint it seems only greens glow last a long time. But if you can get glow in the dark powders, you mix them with something like epoxy and the powders glow a long time no matter the color. And the powders seem to come in all the necessary colors for the shoe.

In that case I guess I'll either glue some letters on or wait.

Isn't Mark Poon doing a run on the MAG letters?

I don't have anything like that long-lasting glow in the dark paints local. I gotta get that kind of thing online.

Just looking over the stuff preliminarily, as a liquid paint it seems only greens glow last a long time. But if you can get glow in the dark powders, you mix them with something like epoxy and the powders glow a long time no matter the color. And the powders seem to come in all the necessary colors for the shoe.

Tomorrow I will go to my molding and casting supplier and get some of the mix in Glow In The Dark powder. Here is hoping this stuff lives up to the hype.

Isn't Mark Poon doing a run on the MAG letters?

Tomorrow I will go to my molding and casting supplier and get some of the mix in Glow In The Dark powder. Here is hoping this stuff lives up to the hype.

I'll have to see if he's doing the run when I can afford it after X-mas. I wonder if he'd do a package deal for the letters and the NIKE strap kit. Do you know if he does the swoosh as part of the letter kit?

I'd be very interested to see how the powders work. The specific brand I've been looking at is 'Glow Inc.' brand. On their Amazon listings, the liquid paints, green is listed as lasting all night and ever other color is like 4 hours or less. Their powder listings claim to last all night no matter the color I looked at. Hopefully that's accurate.

I just picked up a small bottle of "Illuminous Powder" now. This stuff glows green as well. I also bought Royal Blue pigment, so will mix a small batch up adding both to see if I can't create a nice CYAN glow thing.

I just picked up a small bottle of "Illuminous Powder" now. This stuff glows green as well. I also bought Royal Blue pigment, so will mix a small batch up adding both to see if I can't create a nice CYAN glow thing.

Let us know cause this would be an easier way on moding the soles that's for sure problem would be will be bright enough to shine though

Sounds awesome. Very interested in seeing how long it lasts.

Sounds awesome. Very interested in seeing how long it lasts.

Then your gonna love this then...Right now I have strap logo and new Heel Cup bubbles (twice as deep as the standard part) molds setting up. I picked up both a "royal blue" pigment and the powder today. The powder glows green, but I am hoping that when mixed into blue rubber will glow will be more of a cyan with the green light passing through a blue filter. In light, green and blue equal cyan.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20141208_121959.jpg
    20141208_121959.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 786
  • 20141208_172532.jpg
    20141208_172532.jpg
    889.6 KB · Views: 768
Then your gonna love this then...Right now I have strap logo and new Heel Cup bubbles (twice as deep as the standard part) molds setting up. I picked up both a "royal blue" pigment and the powder today. The powder glows green, but I am hoping that when mixed into blue rubber will glow will be more of a cyan with the green light passing through a blue filter. In light, green and blue equal cyan.

Cyan? I recommend taking a look at this.

http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=15

Equal parts of Green and Blue in light gives Cyan.

Right, I got that. But if a person can just buy a cyan-colored glow powder or paint, already made, wouldn't that be a way to go?

That's what that link shows. They call it ultra-blue, but it reads as blue-green on my monitor and looks like a dead ringer for the RD lights/glow. And it's what I'm thinking of doing my temporary strap in. I could just paint the strap and then put the NIKE "window" over it. Some blacklight and viola, glow strap for 9 hours.

Right, I got that. But if a person can just buy a cyan-colored glow powder or paint, already made, wouldn't that be a way to go?

Sure, but I will have to order that Vs buying it from a local store and seeing as how this is the first time I have used the stuff, I needed a tester first.

That's what that link shows. They call it ultra-blue, but it reads as blue-green on my monitor and looks like a dead ringer for the RD lights/glow. And it's what I'm thinking of doing my temporary strap in. I could just paint the strap and then put the NIKE "window" over it. Some blacklight and viola, glow strap for 9 hours.

The joys of un-calibrated monitors :) This is why I wanted specific numbers for the colour values like the grey on the mid-soles. My monitor at 100IER is pretty much on the ball, but the blue raises quite significantly as the IRE count goes down. I am aware of what this does but many do not even know and except what they see as correct.

I have a sheet of printed logos so used two tonight when making up the strap logo tester tonight. I also smeared a bit of the elastomer inside the mold so the logo would stick. If all goes to plan, the logo should be embedded in the rubber. Can't demold until tomorrow as I need min 6 hours.

Sure, but I will have to order that Vs buying it from a local store and seeing as how this is the first time I have used the stuff, I needed a tester first.

The joys of un-calibrated monitors :) This is why I wanted specific numbers for the colour values like the grey on the mid-soles. My monitor at 100IER is pretty much on the ball, but the blue raises quite significantly as the IRE count goes down. I am aware of what this does but many do not even know and except what they see as correct.

I have a sheet of printed logos so used two tonight when making up the strap logo tester tonight. I also smeared a bit of the elastomer inside the mold so the logo would stick. If all goes to plan, the logo should be embedded in the rubber. Can't demold until tomorrow as I need min 6 hours.

Right, I just thought you'd like to know the cyan glow is an option for later.

Glow Inc lists the color as "aqua blue", which is a brighter cyan IIRC. So monitor calibration doesn't need to be an issue.

Are you trying to make the whole strap from blue dyed material or are you just making some kind of test piece to check color response and glow time?

Equal parts of Green and Blue in light gives Cyan.
True, but your method is not the same. There are what is known as "additive" and "subtractive" methods of color mixing. If you add green LIGHT to blue LIGHT, you get cyan LIGHT. But your method is putting green light behind a blue FILTER (subtractive). All this should do is give you a dimmer green light.

In other words, a blue filter can't add blue or change green to blue. It only removes some of what isn't blue from the light that is there, and the farther away from blue the original light is, the more of it will be blocked. Since green is close to blue, only a little of it will be removed.

Right, I just thought you'd like to know the cyan glow is an option for later.

Glow Inc lists the color as "aqua blue", which is a brighter cyan IIRC. So monitor calibration doesn't need to be an issue.

Are you trying to make the whole strap from blue dyed material or are you just making some kind of test piece to check color response and glow time?

For right now, I have made 2 x flexible NIKE logos, 2x Heel Cup Bubbles (where mine are almost twice as thick as the original part). I will also mix some and inject it into my soles.

True, but your method is not the same. There are what is known as "additive" and "subtractive" methods of color mixing. If you add green LIGHT to blue LIGHT, you get cyan LIGHT. But your method is putting green light behind a blue FILTER (subtractive). All this should do is give you a dimmer green light.

In other words, a blue filter can't add blue or change green to blue. It only removes some of what isn't blue from the light that is there, and the farther away from blue the original light is, the more of it will be blocked. Since green is close to blue, only a little of it will be removed.

I got the idea from a key ring I have which is a transparent blue tube filled with the same type of power. The blue does not change the light from green to cyan, certainly affects the colour of the green. I also noticed that a blue water bottle filled with green cordial did a similar thing. So not perfect, but will do for prototyping.

Here is what I got so far with my HC Mags after I installed the Nike EL. I still need to clean it up a bit.I can't wait for Mark Poon to hook us up with the decals. 20141209_002410.jpg20141209_002440.jpg20141209_002613.jpg

Attachments

• 20141209_002410.jpg
    20141209_002410.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 20141209_002440.jpg
    20141209_002440.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 20141209_002613.jpg
    20141209_002613.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 88
Nice.

I was wondering whether that kit would work with the HC strap. Mind sharing how you did it? The only videos I've seen are for the V2, "no-stitch strap.

Do you know if he does the swoosh as well as the heel cup letters, or is it just the letters?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back