HalloweenCostumes.com "Back to the Future 2 Light Up Shoes"

had an idea for that : use a walking generator ! You simply put a piezo electric generator in the sole and it is suppose to create electricity when you walk. The only problem is that it is not producing a lot of power...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity

- - -

Egos13 : I've got mines from HC the on october 23. And it is the no ribs version...

I am familiar with Piezo as they are used in compression drivers (horn drivers) and some cigarette lighters use them to create the spark. They don't produce great amounts as far as I know. My idea was a coil wrapped around a metal plate. When energized, it would create a an electro-magnet.

Hi there,

is there someone who have the unribbed shoes in size 9 from HC ?
I'm looking for the mesurings in millimeters.
I need it from the entire ouside sole and if possible, the inside of the sole and the inner sole that is provided in the shoe. (Height and width)

Thanks folks ;)

Great Scott! I have HC V2's that I only just wore out for Halloween this year and when I came home, the charger cable snapped as you can see. There's really no wire remaining on the snapped off side so I'm not sure what I can do here. Any ideas or am I SOL? Anyone pull up the sole on these? Thanks everyone!
BTTF shoe.JPG

Last edited:
hey mate is that in response to MrSouthpaw? I think he said he doesn't trust the smooth side ones as he had 3 defective pairs, not sure if it was electronics or build quality though

They all had external visible defects, but were sent to me anyways. I don't trust anything from them anymore.

1 was a light failure, 2 had quality control issues.

The post above this one with the wire snapped. That looks like the upgraded smooth-side connector. So yet another defective pair of smooth-sides.

Last edited:
Great Scott! I have HC V2's that I only just wore out for Halloween this year and when I came home, the charger cable snapped as you can see. There's really no wire remaining on the snapped off side so I'm not sure what I can do here. Any ideas or am I SOL? Anyone pull up the sole on these? Thanks everyone!
View attachment 551856

Pretty much everyone that upgraded the lights in their V2s pulled up the soles on these. Battery sits slightly forward of the heel. If you can get the heel cup off, you will find a 2nd sewn hole below the visible one that will allow you to re-wire the shoe.

Pretty much everyone that upgraded the lights in their V2s pulled up the soles on these. Battery sits slightly forward of the heel. If you can get the heel cup off, you will find a 2nd sewn hole below the visible one that will allow you to re-wire the shoe.

Thanks for your time! And for SouthPaw, yes I meant these are the newer smooth side HC's. I'm guessing it happened when I got out of the car like I've read others about. I saw the V2 shopping list, am I guessing there is not an easy replacement charging cable I can buy somewhere? Looks like it's a complete rewire of everything? I wish there was even a bit of wire left on the part that snapped off as I could perhaps work with that. Might just have to chalk up the loss...

Thanks for your time! And for SouthPaw, yes I meant these are the newer smooth side HC's. I'm guessing it happened when I got out of the car like I've read others about. I saw the V2 shopping list, am I guessing there is not an easy replacement charging cable I can buy somewhere? Looks like it's a complete rewire of everything? I wish there was even a bit of wire left on the part that snapped off as I could perhaps work with that. Might just have to chalk up the loss...

Unless you're sure you broke it, then I would blame quality control in light of my own experience. I just have trouble seeing that happen getting out of a car because those plugs are shielded by the big white buckle. Personally, I would demand a replacement or refund no matter how long it has been since you got the shoes.

Otherwise, maybe you could find just the switch with some wire on it and repair. I don't know what those switches are called atm. Maybe someone else can chime in. But, once you do any work there is no returning them.

It looks like there is enough wire left to solder it together. If you don't want to send them back.

Sure u have to strip a bit of the socket but it look like it could work. The game is not over yet. ;)

I just have trouble seeing that happen getting out of a car because those plugs are shielded by the big white buckle.

The wires are short, just enough to do the job. The wires are usually glued to the fabric, so there is no movement. The shoe goes under massive amounts of stress when getting in and out of a car. Because there is no movement, the wires break.

I fail to see why you guys that spend the least on these shoes expect the most from them the company selling them.

The wires are short, just enough to do the job. The wires are usually glued to the fabric, so there is no movement. The shoe goes under massive amounts of stress when getting in and out of a car. Because there is no movement, the wires break.

I fail to see why you guys that spend the least on these shoes expect the most from them the company selling them.

I was obviously talking about something striking the cord, like the edge of the door seal or something.

I was obviously talking about something striking the cord, like the edge of the door seal or something.

Doesn't even need to be a strike against anything. All it needs is for your ankle to point your foot down or twist to one side. If the wire reaches its limits, SNAP! Then it is "Game over man, Game Over!

It looks like there is enough wire left to solder it together. If you don't want to send them back.

Sure u have to strip a bit of the socket but it look like it could work. The game is not over yet. ;)

Get some speaker wire, solder the speaker wire to the existing wires, heatshrink that, then do the same to the other end with the plug, leaving some loose wire inside the two layers of the shoe. If there's room for the wire to wiggle around, it may be less likely to snap next time.

Hey everyone just got my Halloween Costumes MAGs. They arrived within 2 weeks, and were double boxed so the box was in perfect condition. I got the smooth-sides like I wanted. :D The lights work fine on both shoes, so thumbs up to the HC people. Here's some comparison shots of a HC vs a never worn, never-modded, always-in-its-box V2 that I got years ago when they first come out.
The HC's are strangely...... fatter. (like, wider) As well as a lot of other things you'll notice, like the darker, greener tone of the upper material. The midsole texture shows reasonably well in the photos, but when you touch it, feels less pronounced than the V2. I'd guess they sprayed the paint thicker.
DSC00060.JPG
DSC00065.JPG
DSC00064.JPG

@drogonGalvy I am actually thinking the soles are a different mold to the V2s. Your image shows it all. Look at the toe which looks taller on the soles of the V2. The HC's toe box is MASSIVE and the V2 almost looks good next to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back