Halloween Viking Costume (pic heavy)

spydrwebz

I had originally intended to go as Bender from Futurama for Halloween this year but had to shelve that project temporarily because of time constraints.

Im still gonna do it but in order to do the costume justice it will next year before its complete.

I had already been working on a styrofoam shield to hang on the wall since Im a HUGE Vikings (the TV show) fan, so I decided why not go as a Viking?

Here are some pics of the shield. Its made from styrofoam, a wooden dowel, foamies, and googly eyes for the studs. I then made the wood grain and the deep battle gouges with a soldering iron and sealed the whole thing with 10-12 coats of a 50/50 blend of Elmers Glue and water before painting.

shield 004.JPGshield 003.JPG

shield 005.JPGshield 001.JPG

shield 002.JPGshield 003.JPG

back 003.JPGback 004.JPG

All together, the shield weights about 2 pounds max and is surprisingly sturdy.

Last edited:
Re: Halloween Viking Costume

Here are a few more items Ive picked up for the costume. Its not meant to be period accurate by any means.im just going for a close approximation
of a Viking from the TV show at a minimum of work and expense, since Halloween is just a few short weeks away.

These are the shoes. I plan on painting the silver studs brown to match the shoe and maybe adding a few touches to make it as close to a Viking
turn shoe as I can. Pretty decent price on these at 40 bucks including shipping;

shoe.JPG

For the belt I got this off of Etsy for 10 dollars. Its 40" inches total and the belt can be buckled anywhere along that length. I also thought the buckle
looked like something that was handmade and that a Viking would wear.

belt.jpg

The buckle is 3 inches wide and the strap is a toal of 2 and half inches wide.

I also got this tunic from CAS Iberia for 25 bucks in dark brown. I plan on going to the thrift store and purchasing some cheap, brown, braided leather
belts and using them for a decorative braid around the arms, the front of the shirt, and the collar like in the shirt that Ragnar wears in the picture below.

If time allows Im also going to try and duplicate the patchwork leather from Ragnars shirt/vest on the front of the tunic.It wont be a hundred percent accurate but I hope itwill look close enough to convey the general idea.

tunic.jpgragnar shirt.png

Ill be making the axe and/or buying the other pieces like the pants and the bracers and will upload pics as soon I finish/purchase them here.

Luckily my hair is dirty blonde and a couple of inches past shoulder length and I already have the beard so the hard part is already done for me.
I might even shave my hair down the sides and get someone to braid it like Ragnar's as well.

Jury's still out on that one atm.

Any way, that's where I'm at now. I hope you guys like it, and thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to look.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of my hair and beard.please forgive the greasy look as I just got out of the shower and it hasnt completely dried yet.

me 006.JPGme 002.JPG

me 004.JPG003.JPG

Attachments

• me 007.JPG
    me 007.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
Does anyone here know of a good method for aging brass, preferably with household chemicals? Im think that the buckle is too bright for a Viking and would like
to make it a little more worn.

Bluing solution for guns will turn brass black (or at least a really dark brown) so you might blacken it, then lightly sand the high spots so that it's still dark in the recesses..

Thank you guys for the comments and also the suggestion on aging the brass.

I didnt take any progress pics but Ive working hard all week on the Viking axe used by Ragnar and I think I came pretty close....
at least as much as time allows. Its far from perfect but I that think just conveys that well-used and aged look.

I used anti-fatigue mats from Harbor Freight (9.99 for a pack of 4), a dremel tool, foamies and drywall spackling, all sealed with 10 coats of Elmers glue. Then I aged it by putting on multiple coats of black acrylic paint watered down, and then wiping it off.

I wanted this to be light and to mimic the look of wood and metal as I'll be going to local bar (or three) and didnt want issues with a real weapon.

Anyway, here are the pics.Hope you guys enjoy. The items that Ive ordered have all come in as well and Ill be adding touches here and there to try and make them more authentic.

***Stay tuned next week, as I'll be debuting Ragnars haircut with the sides shaved and my hair braided and pulled into a pony tail.

axe 001.JPG axe 005.JPG
axe 002.JPG axe 004.JPG
axe 003.JPG

Have made progress in the past couple of days on the brown linen tunic. Have added chocolate brown leather braid around the arms and down the center of the torso.Have also started the laborious process of adding a patchwork leather over vest. Im using artificial leather (found at local fabric store in the clearance aisle) and artificial sinew.

Here a couple of pics. Please forgive the poor quality.The surface of the leather is reflecting a lot of light.

tunic 001.JPG tunic 002.JPG
tunic 004.JPG tunic 006.JPG

I 86'ed that horrible belt, actually used the leather from it for the braiding.Have one now with a brass ring that looks more period accurate.
If I finish the tunic tonight I'll post pics of the dress fitting with what I have so far.

Thanks again for the replies, the looks and the comments. Wish there were more but Im going to keep updating and posting regardless.

Last edited:
Couple of pics. Haircut is done.Im going to add a ponytail braid in the back and use the leather to conceal it so my hair looks much longer. Also this is where I am on the outfit.

ragnar1 010.JPG

ragnar1 009.JPGragnar1 014.JPG

Attachments

• ragnar1 016.JPG
    ragnar1 016.JPG
    845.9 KB · Views: 111
This looks great.
Can you go into more detail on the braid you added to the shirt? is this something you found and sewed on or is this something you had to make?

Oh, I love this costume! You really have that Viking look! Great haircut! Do you get any comments or hassles about that in your every-day life? You must be having so much fun putting this all together.

This looks great.
Can you go into more detail on the braid you added to the shirt? is this something you found and sewed on or is this something you had to make?

The braid is a braided belt I found on Etsy, about 2 and half to 3 inches wide. I used a chocolate brown leather dye on it from Tandy leather
and glued it on with crazy glue. I'll probably secure it with a few stitches as well before Halloween.

For the arms I used another braided belt that was an inch wide (found at a thrift store for 2 bucks) and used the same dye
on it to make it a uniform color. Secured with crazy glue as well.

Oh, I love this costume! You really have that Viking look! Great haircut! Do you get any comments or hassles about that in your every-day life? You must be having so much fun putting this all together.

Thank you!! Im working on the bracers and the leg wraps this week.

The braid is actually a hair extension that can found in any beauty supply store. It will be sewn into my much thinner pony tail in the back and wrapped
with leather to disguise the work.

I havent run into any real issues with the haircut at all other than being asked if I was an MMA fighter.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back