Half life:Alyx Metrocop helmet build

Kiwimaddog

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So,
For vacation this year I decided to model and build myself a Metrocop helmet to accompany the Grunt and Suppressor helmets I previously built.

I did the main 3d model work in my goto CAD software/3D modelling which is Catia slash Zbrush. The Metrocop helmet is a somewhat more simple shape to model than both of the previous builds and as such that part of the build went pretty smooth. I always try to introduce something that I've not tackled before into every ew build and the new thing for this build though was that I wanted a bit of texture on the collar piece. I added some twill/textile texture onto the Catia-modelled collar in Zbrush with the intent to resin print that part in my M3 MAX.
C.JPG

Reference pic from Alyx
Facemask_V0.JPG

Early version of the facemask
MAin_photo_B.JPG

Final version of the 3D-model
1695707196465.png

Printed parts

Next up is a lot of sanding and assembly

I had to reprint the collar due to it being printed in resin and i miscalculated the shrink-compensation. I compared my first 100% resinprint to a FDM-print of the collar and found that it was 2.5% smaller in length and therefore did not fit the facemask and so first try I just upscaled the collar 2.5%. This though did not work, I hoped it would shrink into place but alas, it did not even after spending 15h @ 55 °C in my enclosed Voron 2,4. I realized that the sides had folded out when I originally measured the 100% print which gave me an incorrect reading. So, I reprinted and this time I upscaled it 1.5% in length and 1% in width since I noticed a major gap and the at the sides on the 2.5%. This seemed to do the trick and it fits with just the amount of gap I want from a fresh print towards the rest of the helmet. I should now be able to paint it after letting it dry up for some hours in the Voron ;)
1696020949523.png

The gap with the 2.5% after drying. Fits like an oversized glove

1696021024758.png

The reference FDM-print and the too small 100% resin collar

Further more I wired up some LED's to the side thingamajigs
1696021161826.png

1696021190254.png

Looking good!

If anyone wanted to go a slightly simpler route, the HL2 gas mask is definitely based on the Soviet-era PMG gas mask. The "nose" and the way it continues onto the cheeks is different and the back and neck are heavily modified, but the face is absolutely the basis for the design. Plus, you can still get them pretty cheap military surplus.

I managed to finalize the build yesterday. I don't feel 100% pleased with it for whatever reason. I kinda feel that something is lacking but can't put my finger on it specifically... but I'm not going to do any more work on it as it stands, It's on hold for now and maybe I'll see what I'm missing now later.
That said, here are some pictures of the finished build, and also, I put the files up on my Etsy if anyone is interested.

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

F.jpg

G.jpg

H.jpg

I.jpg

J.jpg

L.jpg

M.jpg

The only things that really stand out to me would be that maybe the seam down the middle of the face needs to be more prominent and that some weathering on the white to make it "world-used" could really make it pop. Such a large area of white looks unnatural without either small details (which don't exist on the subject matter) or some weather grime.

The only things that really stand out to me would be that maybe the seam down the middle of the face needs to be more prominent and that some weathering on the white to make it "world-used" could really make it pop. Such a large area of white looks unnatural without either small details (which don't exist on the subject matter) or some weather grime.
Yeah, that might do the trick. Thank you, I'll try that

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back