Halcyon Spacejockey repaint

HMR

I bought a Halcyon Spacejockey already assembled and painted. The old paintjob and assembly have seen better days, so this is a quick project redoing it.

1 - Copy.jpg2 - Copy.jpg3 - Copy.jpg4 - Copy.jpg5 - Copy.jpg6 - Copy.jpg7 - Copy.jpg

Looking good!- I still have this kit in the box and forgot how nice it could look
Thanks for the kind words! I set out searching for a box-fresh one from ebay, but I find them a bit pricey. :unsure:

After stripping the paint, priming and mocking it up, I think the distance between his face and... uh, viewfinder I guess, is a bit too far.
I got stuck on how I am going to bring it closer without adding more stuff that is really not supposed to be there.

8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

It's vinyl. Heat it up, push it into shape and dunk it in cold water. Or try to add metal rods inside the frame of the telescope.
Thanks for the tips! I am going to heat the mount for the telescope and bend it backwards a bit.
Not really sure why I didnt consider that in the first place, as I have had good luck with it earlier...:unsure: Might be because I actually started the paintjob before taking a proper look after mockup.

In order to keep its shape you could even fill it with expanding foam - just cut large holes between each part, so the foam can expand from one part to the next and then spill out of the bottom - then you just shave it off. And in order to attach the chair and telescope to the base, instead of heating the peg under the chair to squeeze it into the socket, just heat the base so the socket becomes pliable.

I never finished mine as I wanted to find a way to make the base sides completely vertical and not slope and be uneven in some sections - I want it to look machined.

I lost a lot of the progress pictures unfortunately, due to a rogue memory card.. The few that remains are just colour layers like these:

11.jpg12.jpg

The laquer paint cracked after I washed it with oils and Abteilung fast drying thinner. Or maybe the PVC dont like that stuff... not sure.
It was not intentional but I like the effect, so stuck with it.

Anyways, its hitting the shelf! :cool:

DSC_3352 - Copy - Copy.jpgDSC_3357 - Copy.jpgDSC_3359 - Copy.jpgDSC_3360 - Copy.jpgDSC_3366 - Copy.jpgDSC_3368 - Copy.jpgDSC_3369 - Copy.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I love all the tonal variations. Really captures the look

plus a happy accident of sorts I love that cracking type effect.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back