Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project **12/22/15**

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project 1/14 **MORE PROGRESS PICS**

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I've acrylic welded a few items. Here are a few progress pics:
glkr52.jpg

glkr53.jpg

glkr54.jpg

glkr55.jpg

glkr56.jpg

glkr57.jpg

glkr58.jpg

glkr59.jpg

Aproximately, how much did it cost to get all those parts laser cut, if you don't mind me asking?

I'd love to use this process on a project.

Nick

Between $200-$250. So far total I have over $300 invested and after molding and casting a few hundred dollars more.

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project **1/22 Progress Pics**

Thanks Mega...

Here are some more progress pics. I really dig how the handles are coming out. The spine and rib method seems to be working quite well:
glkr60.jpg

glkr61.jpg

glkr62.jpg

glkr63.jpg

glkr64.jpg

glkr65.jpg

glkr66.jpg

glkr67.jpg

glkr68.jpg

glkr69.jpg

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project **1/25 Progress Pics**

After I talked to my machine shop and showed them what I needed for my handle they realized they couldn't bend metal in the way I wanted with the tight tolorances required. So I went down to TAP and picked up some acrylic rod, picked up my heat gun and map torch and went to work. It's a good thing I bought a 6' legnth. I know I was going to learn as I went with this detail. I figured out very quickly what to do and more importantly, what NOT to do. You can see my first two tries didn't go very well but the learning curve was very fast and the third times a charm. Now I just need to sand and file some detail and I"m ready to take it to a local foundry to see about getting cast in aluminum. Looks simple enough but it did take me about an hour or so to get it right.
glkr70.jpg

glkr71.jpg

glkr72.jpg

glkr73.jpg

glkr74.jpg

glkr75.jpg

glkr76.jpg

glkr77.jpg

glkr78.jpg

glkr79.jpg

glkr80.jpg

glkr81.jpg

glkr82.jpg

glkr83.jpg

These last two pics are showing the cut I had to make to the face where the green lense is going in and how the front plates will cover the opening edge.
glkr84.jpg

glkr85.jpg

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project **1/25 Progress Pics**

Well I dropped the handle off at the foundry yesterday. I'm only having 15 cast in aluminum. They're costing a little more than I really wanna spend but it will be worth it to have metal handles in the castings. They might be ready to pick up on Friday and I can move forward with the rest of the build. I called and got costs on silicone and casting material today. Probably will order that next week.

I've also started to put plans together for a roto-casting machine since these need to be hollow. I was going the do the three ring method but then I saw an episode on How It's Made and saw a different looking rotocaster I'm going to build that I think will work much better.

Because of that, I think I'm going with either the 7 minute or 15 minutes pot life casting material (smoothcast 305 or 310). I can't wait to see how this is going too turn out.

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project **3/14 Back on Track**

Alrighty then. I decided going the metal casting route is not the way I'm going. I took a closer look at the mini battery and noticed the handle is more square with rounded edges than round. So I had new handles laser cut and I'm going to router the edges for a prototype. I'm then taking it to my machine shop to be reproduced in aluminum. The file is already done he just wants to see a physical representation before we get started.

I've also had jigs made so I can drill holes accurately after pieces have been cast.

I haven't started building the rotocasting machine yet. I've been really busy with home projects.

Pics coming later today. But I'm back on the project.

Happy days.

i just love how clean and planed out this looks. most of the things i try do do look like an angry drunk with power tools has run around the room in the dark. lol

I know what you mean. I've realized two things over the years that makes a successful project, planning and patience. It makes a world of difference. I'm hoping to have this ready to mold in a few weeks or less. Then comes the fun part, casting, assembly and finishing. I'm excited about completing this project but I have to remember to be patient and not rush it.

this piece is fantastic. if you had the space, time and money, with your skills i could actually see a 1:1 central power battery. lol.

Good lord that would be huge. I would have no place to put it. LOL

Ok here are a few more pics of the new handle prototype. I actually made two of these. One I took to my machine shop to show what I want it to look like and the other is going onto the working original. I'm going to get the vector file over to hime today and he said he could get them done in three weeks. That should work out great. Even better, it's gonna be cheapper than to have them cast in metal. CNC is alwys the way to go.

After I got the new laser cut pieces, I rounded the edges on my router:
glkr86.jpg

Then I hand filed the inside corners. You can see the before and after differences:
glkr87.jpg

And here is a primed piece.
glkr88.jpg

Next photos will be the handle attached to the outside brackets and then attaching the complete handle system to the main body.

Stay tooned!
:)

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project **3/15 Back on Track**

Oh vey. I have been a busy bee. In the last month I've been working feverishly on my house. We just had a new breaker panel put in, new ceiling fan boxes put into the bedrooms, been talking to contractors about wall insulation, ordering custom windows and taking out a sliding glass door, replacing it with an exterior door and walling the rest.

Oh and been working on the battery too.

So I've just about got the handle completed and ready to attach to the main body. The main body is now permenantly attached to the base. I'm gonna now order silicone and resin, finalize my rotocasting plans and get it built.

Pics to come.

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project **5/2 Ready for Molding**

Sorry for the lack of updates and pics but I have been running myself ragged. Between the house and a couple of other projects things have been moving slowly but surely with the lantern battery.

All of the pieces are ready for molding. YAY!

Now I'm ordering silicone and parts for a rotocasting machine. Pics will come...seriously.

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project **5/2 Ready for Molding**

Since Rayner is my favorite GL, I had to check this out. The work you've done so far is superb! I cannot wait to see the final product!!

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project **5/5 Pics of Molding Master**

Hooray Pictures!!!

Yes, I finally got off my buttocks and snapped a few photos.

Here are a couple of pics of the handle attached to the "chicken wing" sides:
glkr89.jpg

glkr90.jpg

And here are a few pics after spraying it with primer and size comarrision with the mini battery. Now if you haven't been following the thread, it looks funny right? Because the front and back pieces the lenses go into are going to be cast up separately. Anywho, here are the pics:
glkr91.jpg

glkr92.jpg

glkr93.jpg

glkr94.jpg

glkr95.jpg

glkr96.jpg

I've got parts on order for the rotocasting machine and I still need to order silicone and resin.

More to come

:)

That's just ridiculously cool. Really enjoying seeing the build process.

this is insane. one day I also hope to own my own lanterns. that being said, i would love to know if you ever make this item available to others.

Great work. i never fail to be impressed by your talent.

Thanks again guys. I'm so jazzed about this project coming together.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back